Acer Iconia A500 - what kinds of USB devices supported?

DrAzzy

Jun 13, 2011
What kind of devices are supported via USB on the current generation of android tablets coming out? I know the A500 has 2 USB ports, one of them full sized, and most other tablets have at least 1. What kind of devices will work with these? I assume they're not quite as versatile as a real computer.

Keyboards?
Thumb Drives? USB Harddrives?
Wired ethernet adapters?
Printers? (lol)
MP3 players? (lol)
USB-controlled nerf guns? (lol)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
No. Very versatile. But with HONEYCOMB 3.0 which was especially designed for the 10.1" tablet, they hadn't quite got it up to scratch. Version 3.1 of HONEYCOMB is suppose to fix a few issues. But if you're hoping to plug a NTFS formatted drive into the USB slot - it won't read that format because its a MICROSOFT propiety system. Unless, of course you by the tablets with win 7 or Win 8.

As for keyboards there are a variety of options but from the release notes, ANDROID HONEYCOMB version 3.1 will fix a lot of the questions you have about USB devices.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
As long as you have an android printer driver. It probably best wireless. w hy would you want wired ethernet? The whole idea is MOBILITY - hook on to any network and print.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

vernnz

Jun 10, 2011
Thumb drives work just like a computer. Plug in, access files, unplug. Hard drives are the same way. With both of these devices apps can access the files on the device but they can't run from them or back up to them. I also plugged in a Samsung Epic and was able to browse files on it.

The mini USB port does not have host control. When connected to a WinXP laptop I was able to use Explorer to move files around the tablet.

Vern

Sent from my A500

BKAlley

Jun 19, 2011
So far out of the box I have used the mini USB with supplied cord to connect to my desktop as a external drive to transfer documents (from Open Office), and used the full size for a USB keyboard, and our Cruzer drive, which worked just fine. (files have to be in the latest MS Office format for Docs To Go to read, but I opened a Doc directly from the USB drive no problem). Try that on a Xoom.

Sent from my A500

Last edited:

TeamAndroid

Dec 19, 2011
Does it support digital cameras ? when i connect my camera to it , my tablet doesnt sync the pictures on my camera ! help :/

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Does it support digital cameras ? when i connect my camera to it , my tablet doesnt sync the pictures on my camera ! help :/

What exactly did you expect it to do?

I plugged in my Olumpus camera, told the camera to emulate PC storage,
Opened the file manager (ES File Explorer, free in the market) on the tablet, Navigated to /mnt/USB_Storage
Selected the DCIM directory, and there were all my camera images.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
As of now.

Standard USB Keyboard and mice.

You can use A logitech USB wireless doggle and use both Mouse and Keyboard. Yes mouse works. You will see a pointer and can point click through icons like a laptop, even the scrol lwheel works in the browser.

Game controllers: THe Xbox 360 USB and Ps3 Bluetooth based controlelrs work. The game must support controllers.

USB drives work,

USB based Clear Mobiel WIreless work.

Other audio devices from logitech and some other vendors work.

For printing I recommend a Canon pritner with Wireless so you can use the app to print right to the printer via wifi. OR scan from printer into the tablet via wireless.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
When I plug my Canon Power shot S5IS into the usb it opens the gallery with all my photo folders.
The very first thumbnail is for the camera. It says touch here to import.