Android Support For USB To Ethernet Interface

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Is anyone aware of support for USB to ethernet adaptors for situations where an ethernet port is available but WiFi is not available or unreliable ?? I occasionally carry a portable ethernet to WiFi hub for situations like this but think a direct connection might be possible.

I have both an Acer A500 and a Coby MID 1126 with full powered ethernet ports. Both are running ICS 4.0.3 (although the MID1126 originally had GB 2.3.3) The USB port on each recognize various devices: 2.4 GHz wireless mouse dongle, USM wired mouse, 4-1 hub, even a small powered external HD (if formatted with a FAT32 partition.) Things that don't work or USB Bluetooth dongle and USB to ethernet hubs. I assume this is because the devices are not supported and drivers are not availble for Android.

In the past I've used a USB to ethernet device (under Win2000, XP or Win7) to connect a laptop or desktop to a wired network in cases where the internal ethernet port was lacking or not working. It would seem this would be a nice device to have to connect a tablet in cases where a wired etehrnet connections but WiFi in unavailable.

Is anyone aware of support for a wired ethernet interface for an android tablet ??

Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There are a few USB - Ethernet devices out there but support is iffy depending on the tablet. A surefire way to get wired Ethernet on your Android tablet is to get a portable WiFi router that also will allow the network cable to attache thus converting the WiFi to wired 2 of these portable router that come to mind are the ASUS WL-330N3G and the TP-Link TL-WR202N Nano router.

Karenlouise

Apr 2, 2019
I am not tech savvy and wanted to know if my android tablet that doesn't have built it Ethernet capabilities but with your suggestion of the ASUS WL-330N3G or the TP-Link TL-WR202N Nano router will work in this situation to get Ethernet capabilities to my android tablet that doesn't have built in Ethernet capabilities?