[AD-HOC TETHERING] Tether your iPhone to the Coby Kyros MID x024!!!

shawnki91

Dec 17, 2011
Android does not natively support the ability to connect to an Ad-Hoc network; so what's the big deal? Aren't most of our Wi-Fi networks nowadays all about 802.11x for which there is widespread compatibility?

The truth is, that the Ad-Hoc infrastructure is the only means by which a mobile 3G device is capable of broadcasting its signal. Seeing as the Kyros is a Wi-Fi only device, one could see the benefit behind tethering--you're out of a Wi-Fi zone and you need to pull up a map or webpage to find your way home (for example). Wouldn't it be convenient to just pull out your 3G enabled iPhone and share your 3G connection with the tablet for a more comfortable browsing and media consumption experience? Unfortunately though, this is a lot easier said than done seeing as the iPhone's tethering applications only broadcast 3G signals.

Fortunately, the generous developers of this forum have made this process possible; all it needed was some experimentation to figure out how to pull off the iPhone-Android tether.

What you need:
  1. A Coby Kyros MID x024 device (tested on the 7024 at the time of writing)
  2. Steev's alldro2 Gingerbread ROM (v.1.3.--available on this forum and at the time of publication)
  3. A Jailbroken iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S (tested on a 3GS on iOS 5.0.1. using the Redsn0w and C0r0na Jailbreak exploits)
  4. PDA.net (v.5.35 at the time of writing)
  5. An external micro-SD card (I used an 8GB card)
  6. About 10 minutes of your time--its worth it folks!
Start by flashing the ROM to the Kyros. Make sure you follow all the preliminary steps, and most importantly, the SD card must be a newly formatted card otherwise this won't work. Boot up PDA.net on your iPhone, and make sure you name the Wifi network a plain name (no special characters please!). Do not set a password--there is no way around this unfortunately. Broadcast the network from within PDA.net. Go to the Wifi setting on the Kyros, and the network name you created on the iPhone should appear with an asterisk in brackets next to the name (ex: (*) iPhoneNetwork). Click connect and presto: you can now use your iPhone's 3G connection with your Kyros. PDA.net shows a read out of how much data you have consumed since you connected to the device. PDA.net is a much better alternative to MyWi given as it is cheaper, and it does not drain the iPhone's battery.

A big thank you to Steev and all the developers on this blog for making this ROM a reality, and for making iPhone-Android tethering possible!!!

Shawnki91

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hmm, looks like too much trouble for little:

1. There is a patch that enables ad-hoc on tablets, it's called "search_hotspot_patch.tgz". If it's installed while flashing the CFW then you will have support for ad-hoc and should be able to connect to any tether from phones. Some say that it only works if the tethered network has no password tho...

2. iPhone 4 and up with iOS 4 or higher has WiFi tether built-in, and it doesn't need ad-hoc support on tablets, no need to jailbreak or anything.

shawnki91

Dec 17, 2011
Hmm, looks like too much trouble for little:

1. There is a patch that enables ad-hoc on tablets, it's called "search_hotspot_patch.tgz". If it's installed while flashing the CFW then you will have support for ad-hoc and should be able to connect to any tether from phones. Some say that it only works if the tethered network has no password tho...

2. iPhone 4 and up with iOS 4 or higher has WiFi tether built-in, and it doesn't need ad-hoc support on tablets, no need to jailbreak or anything.

Thank you for this information!

I am by no means a developer, but I do have a knack of getting these things to work. Do you think if I baked the "search_hotspot_patch.tgz" file in to your B13 of Volcano, I'd be able to get Ad-hoc running under Honeycomb?

Had been looking for a viable solution for the 3GS users out there with no native Wi-Fi tethering in iOS 4.x.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
iPhone 3GS only has WiFi tethering with jailbreak AFAIK...

Volcano is still beta, I think I have tried the ad-hoc patch on it, maybe I have even included it on B13 I shared here. If not, it's more complicated since replacing a library with the one in the search_hotspot patch probabbly will prevent system to boot. You can try replacing only wpa_supplicant binnary (do a backup first, of course). Doing this via adb or Terminal Emulator is kinda easy if you wanna try.

shawnki91

Dec 17, 2011
iPhone 3GS only has WiFi tethering with jailbreak AFAIK...

Volcano is still beta, I think I have tried the ad-hoc patch on it, maybe I have even included it on B13 I shared here. If not, it's more complicated since replacing a library with the one in the search_hotspot patch probabbly will prevent system to boot. You can try replacing only wpa_supplicant binnary (do a backup first, of course). Doing this via adb or Terminal Emulator is kinda easy if you wanna try.

Yup, it crashed the system lol :p Can't wait for Volcano to come out of Beta; really nice work so far, thank you! I will stick will Alldro2 1.3 for now until some of the more essential components of Volcano are ironed out. I think the biggest is probably the Hardware acceleration at this point and UI inconsistencies. I've enjoyed testing it though. Are you also working on the "Thunderstorm" port of ICS?

apolake

Jun 26, 2012
Volcano B13 WiFi Tether works! with I phone 3gs/PDANet. As long as you don't put a pass code.