Advice for Purchasing Android Tablet

JPWoods

Jan 20, 2013
Hi,

Read a lot of the reviews would appreciate some user advice. Currently I have an iPad 3 (16 gig) and wish to switch to an Android device. Not unhappy with the Apple product(first one I have owned) but there are some things I am not happy with.

Non expandability
Cannot customize
Speaker

Primary usage of the Android tablet would be content consumption especially reading (daily 2 hours) and video with some internet and email. No games

What I am looking for:
$500 or less
10" or so screen
Clear enough screen for an e reader
micro SD slot prefer 64gig sd card but 32 would be ok
Decent front facing speakers so I do not have to use headphones.
Ability to charge off the laptop USB port if possible as iPad will not. Not critical

I have looked at the Samsung Tab 10.1 and the Samsung Note 10.1 would like opinions on these. Would the Tab suffice as it is quite a bit cheaper? Asus Transformer looks interesting but not sure about docking station.

Also a 7" tablet would work as a reader but unsure if the screen big enough for movies?

Any advice appreciated

John

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Primary usage of the Android tablet would be content consumption especially reading (daily 2 hours) and video with some internet and email.
What kind of reading? If it's ebooks, then not only is a 10" tablet not necessary, but it might even be counter-productive. I've owned both 8" and 10" tablets. Even though the 8" tablet is both thicker and heavier, it's much better for reading in portrait mode than the 10" tablet--and it's even easier to hold in landscape mode. For web content the 10" tablet was much better, but still less convenient to hold.

I have looked at the Samsung Tab 10.1 and the Samsung Note 10.1 would like opinions on these.
Many people like them. I wouldn't have another Samsung mobile device if you gave it to me. The Tab 2 10.1 I have is going back today.

Asus Transformer looks interesting but not sure about docking station.
All Asus Transformers have a single speaker that's in the back, do they not? Sound isn't that great on any of them, from what I've read. (Can't imagine what Asus is thinking with this one--esp. on the Infinity.)

Also a 7" tablet would work as a reader but unsure if the screen big enough for movies?
I think it would be. It's not going to be all that far away. I don't know if they meet all your requirements, but the Nexus 7 and Kindle HD are very popular.

Google's coming out with a Nexus 7.7 soon. Rumoured to be about mid-May or so? That's close enough to 8", for me, that I may give it a serious look.

Vizio might be coming out with a 10" tablet sometime mid-summer. The Verge awarded it "Best of CES" this year. Though Vizio's 8" VTAB1008 was not an earth-shatteringly great tablet, it was at least passably good and I really like Vizio. I may hold out for that--if Vizio actually makes it.

To be honest: There's not a 10" tablet currently on the market that I like well enough to pay good money for. The Asus TF700 comes closest, but, like I said: The speaker thing... and its battery life may be an issue.

Jim

JP_Sartre

Jun 15, 2011
Hi,

Read a lot of the reviews would appreciate some user advice. Currently I have an iPad 3 (16 gig) and wish to switch to an Android device. Not unhappy with the Apple product(first one I have owned) but there are some things I am not happy with.

Non expandability
Cannot customize
Speaker

Primary usage of the Android tablet would be content consumption especially reading (daily 2 hours) and video with some internet and email. No games

What I am looking for:
$500 or less
10" or so screen
Clear enough screen for an e reader
micro SD slot prefer 64gig sd card but 32 would be ok
Decent front facing speakers so I do not have to use headphones.
Ability to charge off the laptop USB port if possible as iPad will not. Not critical

I have looked at the Samsung Tab 10.1 and the Samsung Note 10.1 would like opinions on these. Would the Tab suffice as it is quite a bit cheaper? Asus Transformer looks interesting but not sure about docking station.

Any advice appreciated

John

My wife has Asus TF300T, she's playing some game at the moment and I can hear it clearly across the room. Much louder than either my Acer A200 or A110.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
My wife has Asus TF300T, she's playing some game at the moment and I can hear it clearly across the room. Much louder than either my Acer A200 or A110.
Yes, but it's a single speaker, located on the back and, if I'm not mixing up tablets, by some reviews: poorly placed.

That being said: For the money: Were I forced to buy a 10" tablet today, that's what I'd buy. Reasons I don't: Aforementioned speaker, doesn't have especially good run-time and the display brightness is less than I'd like for outdoor viewing.

Jim

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
The Asus TF101 has two speakers. One on each side on the edge facing to the side. Not on the back, sound is ok.

mikearnill

Aug 25, 2012
I already have Archos 101 XS Android tablet. I really miss some of the revolution that was current on the G9 last year, and the point that the software is mostly the equal only repeats this feeling. It creates the Archos 101 XS a dime-a-dozen tablet. It doesn't mean it's a bad product, but apart from the keyboard port there isn't sufficient to tell this tablet apart from the competition.