After flashing a new ROM is there a way to easily put back apps?

P_Town

Jun 8, 2011
I'm currently using Flashback Alpha 5.2 (I know 5.4 has been out for about a week...), which is about the 4th ROM I've tried. I like it, but I'd like to stay on top of the new versions.

That being said, I hate having to re-install everything every time I flash a new ROM. Is there an easy way to flash a new ROM then get the tablet back to the way it was (meaning the setup, installed apps, etc.) with the prior ROM?

I feel like I'm installing a new OS on my laptop, getting flash, java, MS Office, etc. all installed, then installing a new OS and having to do it all over again and again and again...just want to make sure I'm not missing some easy way to restore the details after changing the ROM.

Thanks,

P

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Titanium back up is the most comprehensive back up utility there is.. It'll back up all the Apps along with the data (save your game progress) and market links(ablity for the market to see the app as if were a virgin install and show updates when available), system data, settings, messages.. blah blah blah.. pretty much anything you can think of... I highly recomend using the donate version the hyper shell utility that allows mass item restores is well worth the cost on it's own but you get alot of other goodies with it too... a word of warning though.. you're not gonna wanna cross restore system data or settings from one version of Android to another... prob not a good idea to even do it between Roms from different developers either.. it may lead to soft bricking your device...

If it's just the Apps you want to back up.. then several of the better file manager apps has utilities built in to back up your installed apps... I use both FileExpert and Astro... FileExpert is my first choice now.. it's FREE and has other handy utilities built in such as a root explorer that lets you change system files and folder permissions... if you don't know what that means now you eventually wil.

If you're wanting to a COMPLETE backup when going from one rom to the next.. The best option is just to use the Nandroid ("backup and restore") backup utility in ClockworkMod.. it backs up the entire device making a complete system image that you can restore to if something goes awry. You can also use a back up from a previous Nandroid backup to restore apps from one rom to the next... I.E. say you wanted to go from Bottle of Smoke to Flashback.. you back up BOS.. load Flashback , while in Clockwork go to "mount and storage" after you've flashed your new rom and mount your data partition, back out, go into "backup and restore" then "advanced restore" and there you'll find a list of back ups... pick the one you want to restore from (they're listed by date and time code) and it will give you an option to restore only certian aspects of the back up, you'll want to select data select it and you'll have all your apps(except the ones that may have been included as part of the system structure o fthe previous rom)... THIS WILL ONLY WORK WHEN WORKING WITH SIMILAR VERSION BASED ROMS... HONEYCOMB ->HONEYCOMB, GINGERBREAD->GINGERBREAD, FROYO->FROYO.... If you try to do it from one version of Android to another you'll more than likely soft brick your device. I would strongly suggest not trying to restore the system or cache from rom to rom from different developers each of them are making there own tweaks to these roms and each have different system asset requirements based on the specific kernnels each is working with.

If you accidently do soft brick your device you need to do a "Facory Data Reset" (first screen in ClockworkMod) first and then restore to the latest Nandroid back up you have or reflash the rom you're trying to install and try the process over again.

As far as utilities to restore your homescreens back to the way you like. The easiest way to do that is with a custom launcher.. Launcher Pro, ADW EX, GoLauncher.... each of these has a back up utility built into the launcher preferences/settings that allows to backup your home screens how they're set up... they won't restore widgets.. but they'll still have the place holders marked form them and it will have your folders and app icons in the locations you have them on the screens... I've only used these with up to Gingerbread so i can't attest to how they'll work with Honeycomb.. I can't imagining wanting to use them though with HC being as pretty as it is already... you may wanna do some research there may be another utility available to do this specific to HC...

Hope this helps and dosen't confuse you further..lol

Last edited:

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I totally agree..... but some seople are stingy and don't wanna buy apps so thought I'd throw it out there... I've been on the end of installing backed up apps via a file manager and no it doesn't do batch installs.. you have to hit intall for EVERY FREAK'N APP....LOL

luvduchovny

May 20, 2011
I've been using the nandroid feature of Clockwork Mod. It works really well, but yes, it works better if you are using similar versions. I had to give up my game scores I had in gingerbread when I moved over to honeycomb. I got it to work once, but then the games would force quit all the time. I've learned my lesson though. When I need to flash a new rom, I run backup and restore and backup what I have. Do the factory reset, update with the new rom then go back and restore data (which is an advanced restore) and stuff like scores and apps are there.

P_Town

Jun 8, 2011
Okay, thanks everyone! I'll take a look at Titanium...I got a free version of it but quite frankly, I ran it and didn't really understand what the hell it did! I'll have to watch the tutorial and read about it since that seems to be the consensus on what is best.

P

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
the free version is fair.. but the pro(paid) version is where it's at... the added utilities and hypershell batching (faster backups and restores) is well worth the price.. plus you can make multiple backups where as with the free version you can only have one per item

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I prefer Titanium Backup Pro. Its best at what it does IMO purly because you can do batch jobs. IDK if the other file managers do that but when doing over 150 apps it really helps.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-backup-restore-apps-system-data-new-rom.html
I'm right on the verge of switching to the paid version (just waiting for my work account to switch to full Google apps). I typically reinstall about 50-60 apps, and it's a pain! I have two conspiracy theories: first, I think the dev deliberately put the "install" button on one side, and the "done" button" on the other, so you actually have to look at them as you reinstall (after each app reinstall, I sometimes push the "Open" button by accident). Second, I wonder if there is a random DELAY built in to the free version when you reinstall...it takes FOREVER!!! It's an amazing program either way and I'm looking forward to upgrading to the paid version. :) And I'm super STINGY TOO!

-Matt

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
You can try MyBackup Root... I tried an erlier non root version early on in my Android experience... before i found titanium and even before i rooted my phone.. i don't think they even had a version for root yet..the version i tried restored my apps and app data fine.. it just screwed up my contacts, messages and settings hence why i rooted and switched to titanium... it says it'll do 0- touch batch restores... and has similar features to Titanium... best part... FREE!!!... worth a shot at least i'd say...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupRoot

from the pics it looks a bit less complicated than Titanium also..

Last edited:

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Okay, thanks everyone! I'll take a look at Titanium...I got a free version of it but quite frankly, I ran it and didn't really understand what the hell it did! I'll have to watch the tutorial and read about it since that seems to be the consensus on what is best.

P

It is kinda confusing. Which is why I did the write up ^^

boscharun

Feb 23, 2012
Two ways actually. One is Titanium Backup as everybody said. The other is to visit your android market library from your PC which has a list of all your previous apps. You just need to push them to your phone and all apps will download and install automatically on your phone. See this for details -
How to Reinstall Android Apps