Alternate Launcher breaks built-in Launcher?

rmleonard

Nov 18, 2011
I am avoiding the root issue for now, however -
In my effort to make the VTAB 'feel' more like something I am familiar with, I loaded Go Launcher EX.

things seem fine, but several things still seem "iffy"

1) no live wallpaper
... I like the galaxy suite from maxelus.net
... none of them work
2) Go Launcher doesn't seem to set the wallpaper
... well... it does, but you have to reboot or stop/start Go Launcher to see the changes
3) the Screen 'feels' too blocky/large
... someone who still has root, see if changing the LCD_Density line in the build.prop from the stock 240 down to 200 and see how things "look/feel"

I noticed that when I tried to check something out on the stock launcher - it failed to start now...
I tried uninstalling all of the add-ons but to no effect... the stock launcher fails to start...

so without rebooting (that 'might' fix things) I reinstalled Go Launcher

and shut down...
when I get home tonight - I'll play more - but it looks like I've lost the stock Launcher...

I am not bricked, I still have Go Launcher...

Thoughts?
Rich Leonard

On my PanDigital Novel - I have the LCD_Density set to 160 and it 'looks/feels' just fine -
The VTAB is far and away more responsive, and bright
If I can get it away from my daughter tonight, I'll post the fstab.vold file - as it has the internal "SDCARD" and the external "SDCARD" and all seems well and ot behaves just fine... I can insert/remove the external card at will and not have any problems

from what I remember - the internal card mounts at /NOVEL and the external mounts at /mnt/SDCARD with a symbolic link to /SDCARD

I'll post more tonight.....

RandyB

Dec 7, 2011
1. The live wallpaper is not a launcher issue - Vizio didn't include some of the libraries that are required to use live wallpaper.
2. I've had the same issue with GO and ADW not being able to set the wallpaper.

I've tried most of the different launchers, and the one I've had the best luck with is Launcher Pro Plus. It's got reasonable font sizes, and the wallpapers and theming works really well.

Nov 12, 2011
Im using VTL Launcher. Its based on ADW but optimized for tablets.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vtlab.launcher&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS52dGxhYi5sYXVuY2hlciJd

I also suffer from the wallpaper issue, at least I can't change my wall paper. I haven't tried to use live wallpapers I did find a way around it but it involves getting into the APK file and replacing (possibly adding, didn't try that) the stock wall paper.

You should be able to get the stock launch back buy going into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>(current launcher) and click on the clear defaults button. Next time you go to the home screen it should ask you what you launcher you want, the sock launcher is called Launcher.

Last edited:

rmleonard

Nov 18, 2011
I did try clearing the defaults, and when I did that - I got the popup that asks which Launcher do I want to use. but when chosing the default launcher "Launcher" - it tries loading, and then comes back with an error screen, stating that something won't work, so I have to chose Go Launcher...

My worry is that after a reboot, it'll brick if I chose the default launcher.

since this is a software issue, would any of the options on the recovery menu work?

is there a "wipe/reload to stock" option?

I'm not so invested in it at this point that a reload to stock would be painful...

basically, I have Aldiko, Moon+, ComicRack, Daroon Player, ES File Explorer, ES Task Manager,
then Go Launcher EX and some themes
and maybe a few games (I think maybe Angry Birds)

I turned it off before bed last night, and when I get home this afternoon, I'll cross my fingers and hope it boots up.....

Rich

Dwelder

Dec 6, 2011
I use GO launcher and I have no problem using the stock launcher.

Sent from my Decked Out HTC EVO with Tapatalk!

rmleonard

Nov 18, 2011
I did try clearing the defaults, and when I did that - I got the popup that asks which Launcher do I want to use. but when chosing the default launcher "Launcher" - it tries loading, and then comes back with an error screen, stating that something won't work, so I have to chose Go Launcher...

My worry is that after a reboot, it'll brick if I chose the default launcher.

since this is a software issue, would any of the options on the recovery menu work?

is there a "wipe/reload to stock" option?

I'm not so invested in it at this point that a reload to stock would be painful...

basically, I have Aldiko, Moon+, ComicRack, Daroon Player, ES File Explorer, ES Task Manager,
then Go Launcher EX and some themes
and maybe a few games (I think maybe Angry Birds)

I turned it off before bed last night, and when I get home this afternoon, I'll cross my fingers and hope it boots up.....

Rich

Okay- - hmmm where to start...

I had to call Vizio and ask for help.. (better to play it safe)
I spoke with a wonderful phone support person from South Dakota, and after a few test we both agreed that a reset had to be done...

so it was off to boot into recovery mode, for those who don't know... it is
power off the tablet..
hold down both volume up and volume down - and press power button.. hold power button until vizio icon appears
continue holding down the volume buttons until an exclamation point ! shows up inthe center ofthe screen
Let go of the volume buttons
now press the power button...
and you should have a text menu with all sorts of recovery/reload options...

use the volume buttons to navigate, and the power button to select...

once this was done - my tablet was back to factory settings...
with what appears to be firmware 1.5 in place...

No, it didn't format/erase my 8GB SD card, NOR did it erase/reformat the SDCARD partition on the internal memory stack

it looks to have only done the /System and /Cache areas.. (I could be wrong there)

so it took an hour or so to reload all of the apps I had downloaded....

for now, I'll continue to run the default Launcher - I would like to know what corrupted what and when before switching back to one of the alternate ones....

but it looks like it does wipe back to a default setting... and fairly easily....

Rich