And the devaluation of your Tablet has begun

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
This is not going to be a pleasant topic for those of you who purchased ANY Tablet before March 1. I have been monitoring prices and the prices of decent no-support tablets has begun in earnest.

There are numerous examples. But I am going to focus on two. Nook and Phedra. Both are decent gen 1 and gen 2 devices. But they are going through the floor on price. The Phedra P7 is the best example. As recent as a month ago they were selling for 150-180USD. Today, you can find them as inexpensive as 110USD.

What is my point. It is Caveat Emptor-Buyer Beware and all that. The introduction of Honeycomb and less expensive dual-core will make it impossible to sell a used Tablet to anyone but the innocent or gullible.

Back in October, I called my 2.2 WitsTech A81-E and my X5A a disposable when I got them for about 200USD. I just hope they maintain value as I try to sell them for $140 each or less.

Ah well, such is life.

tabletguy

Dec 7, 2010
Are any of those tablets decent? I've heard they are crap (ie. on battery life, screen etc.).

I wouldn't buy a tablet for less than 500$ considering I'll probably be using it for 5-10 years.

xoom, viewsonic, samsung galaxy is only thing I'd consider.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Actually the issue is not the capability of the tablet but the QA of the device manufacturers. The devices I mentioned are actually very good. They are more like an early Pentium 4 compared to a Core2Duo processor PC. The speed and improved performance has an effect.
But I would gladly compare my Archos 101/16 which cost 350 to the Samsung on a cost and performance comparison. And the G-Tab as well out of the box. Unless you put some time and effort to redo the Build, the Viewsonic is a good example of what not to do in building a good tablet. ie put a lousy core build on it.

dragonlady

Oct 20, 2010
Well i purchased the Nook in December and have been VERY pleased with it. I have taken it from stock 2.1 to froyo and honeycomb. Community support have been outstanding. Quality has been good and solid. I am really glad that picked this one rather than an arcos (which i seriosly considered) or one of the chinese 2.x boxes hitting the streets.

I am running on Froyo as my base platform with HC on a sd disk when i want to play with that.

The nook comunity will remain strong through this year and you will have agreat device for a couple of years before there is a need to taste the gen4/5 android tablets avalable in 2013.

Sent from my Nook Color (zoom2) using Tapatalk

SVD

Nov 21, 2010
Doesn't matter to me...don't plan to sell. My Nationite MIDnite still works OK for the time being.

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
I wouldn't buy a tablet for less than 500$ considering I'll probably be using it for 5-10 years.

5-10 years?! Really? What other computer have you kept that long? If anything, I expect to upgrade these low cost devices more frequently, not less. To each his own I guess..

Mar 8, 2011
I look on the bright side. My 5 and 2 year old will be able to keep my Galaxy Tab, which they use whenever they can anyway, and I'll get my own multi-core tablet to play with :)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I look on the bright side. My 5 and 2 year old will be able to keep my Galaxy Tab, which they use whenever they can anyway, and I'll get my own multi-core tablet to play with :)
That is likely the best perspective. I think the Galaxy Tab has a good life, I think the biggest danger will be an accidental drop. Otherwise, I think it is a real solid device

BTW to DanU. Luv the RatFink. Have not seen it forever