Android and special education apps

schellekensr

Jan 15, 2011
I am researching the availability of special needs apps for the android platform. I know there are apps written for iPad/Touch, but am not excited about the cost of the hardware.

andrea657

Dec 16, 2011
Nowadays, these android and iPads have turned into a learning tool. I believe when used and being monitored in the correct way, iPads can be a wonderful asset to a classroom with all the different apps that can be used for the various types of learners.

Last edited:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
If an app is available on iOS, but not on Android, I'm sure it is just a matter of time before the app is written for Android as well. The tablet market is exploding and it will simply be a matter of time before Android tablets outnumber the iPad (look at the smartphone market). That's why Apple is scared and resorting to patent infringement lawsuits to try to stifle the Android market.

That said, with the high cost of tablets, not to mention the small size and portability makes it easier to be lost, stolen, or broken, with cutbacks in government funding of education, many school districts see technology acquisition costs as an expensive luxury they simply can't afford. Is it better to spend money on a bunch of tablets, or spend it to hire a teacher? Decades ago, when Apple first came out with the Apple II's, they literally gave away computers to schools to build market share. The idea was that if the child was using an Apple at school, it would be easier for their parents to buy an Apple for home use since their child was already familiar with it and the programs and files would be compatible. Apple doesn't need to make inroads into the market anymore, so there's no incentive for them to give away anything.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Anyone remember Tandy(s)? That's what my school had. We had half a dozen to a dozen or so in the library. Much different from when my kids hit K5 and there was a PC in every classroom.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I am researching the availability of special needs apps for the android platform. I know there are apps written for iPad/Touch, but am not excited about the cost of the hardware.

Hello and welcome to Android Tablets. Nice of you to join us as a member of the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Apps section where the folks most familiar with the apps available are located. Hopefully, you'll get more responses there. Good luck!