Android Market now show device compatibility

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011

Google has revamped Android Market, its own app store, to show devices that are compatible with each individual app. Now, when you visit Android Market on the desktop, the app that you’re viewing or trying to purchase will give you a compatibility list showing which of the Android phones or tablets that you have registered will work properly with the app.

With the compatibility check, Android users may feel more confident in making more app purchases, especially considering that Google had shortened the refund period for app purchases recently.

Also, as the Android platform is fragmented with various devices, device-makers, and also OS versions of Android, a compatibility check will help users quickly identify if the app will work with their particular device(s). Previously, users had to rely on developers to list specific compatibility in the app description.

Via: Android Central

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
What I'd LIKE them to add is an override option for their compatibility check, which isn't really a "check" so much as a "block." If Google *thinks* your device isn't compatible you can't select it in the list and therefore can't install it. There is no way to override it and install the app anyway.

This is one reason I'm liking the Amazon App Store a lot more than Google's Market. Amazon doesn't care what you device you own, they don't even ask.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
What I'd LIKE them to add is an override option for their compatibility check, which isn't really a "check" so much as a "block." If Google *thinks* your device isn't compatible you can't select it in the list and therefore can't install it. There is no way to override it and install the app anyway.

This is one reason I'm liking the Amazon App Store a lot more than Google's Market. Amazon doesn't care what you device you own, they don't even ask.

Thats true, there should be an override button. It would make installing root apps a lot easier.

gswilkent

Dec 5, 2010
anyone know what file I need to modify to make google think I have something else so I can download anyhow.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I've never tried it, but I believe all you have to do is change the "fingerprint" entry in your build.prop file to some other legit device string.

Jun 3, 2011
I've never tried it, but I believe all you have to do is change the "fingerprint" entry in your build.prop file to some other legit device string.

I had a big issue with this earlier this week in trying to get Netflix on my Nook Color using ES File Explorer. In changing the build.prop to show a different device, it caused my Wifi to stop working and I had to reflash the card. I read in another Thread that doesn't happen with what I believe is the app Root Explorer? After successfully changing the file with ES File Explorer and finding the change did not work and being unable to restore the original back-up file, ES File Explorer would not even allow me to save the changed file; although, it would allow me to change it so I know the R/W options were right. I would suggest if you're messing with the build.prop file that you use Root Explorer and save yourself a potential headache.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I've made a couple of other changes to my build.prop in the past by pulling it with ADB, editing it, and then pushing it back to the tablet. But I've never messed with the fingerprint entry.

meltwater

Mar 18, 2011
Is there any more information available on this, I was trying to use the Install option from the Android Market website (I guess next time you connect on the device it will download all your selected apps).

However, as you know, our m701 tablets come up as:
Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US) which appears to be blocked for this feature.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
A small update. Amazon's App Store now lists my devices and "compatibility." It doesn't seem to agree with Google Market though. I checked several apps that I know Google says are incompatible with my tablet and Amazon's store says they are compatible. I also don't know if Amazon's will block app purchases/downloads if it thinks the app is incompatible, which is what Google's does. I sent feedback to Amazon suggesting a way for power users to disable or bypass the compatibility check and explained how Google often guesses incorrectly regarding compatibility with my device.

meltwater

Mar 18, 2011
Well I've tried updating the "fingerprint" entry in the build.prop (with one from another device) but the market is yet to take any notice of it (still states last use of the market was sunday - despite using it today and yesterday). Guess I will wait, although that would match when I switched roms to Gingerbread... Perhaps it doesn't register correctly now anyway.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Have you just gone to Market through the app on your device or have you also gone to the Market web site? Under the account settings there you can see what they think your device is under "My Market Account" > "Settings"

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I noticed uder the app tab on the Android Market it shows AM-Android-Samsung, in a box with the android logo, apparently telling me what it believes I'm using.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I've looked a bit more into this whole build.prop and "fingerprint" string business.

First of all both Android Market and the Amazon App Store pull more than just the fingerprint in the build.prop file. For both markets my tablet running Eclair is listed as:

Maker: Telechips, Model: Android for Telechips TCC8900 Release Board (US)

And while running Gingerbread:

Maker: Haipad, Model: M701

It appears to be getting this data from the build.prop file since it isn't part of the fingerprint string:

ro.product.manufacturer
ro.product.model

According to the documentation, Android Fingerprint strings should read:

Brand/Product/Device/Board:Version.Release/ID/Version.Incremental:Type/Tags

If you look further up in the build.prop you'll see what variables those refer to:
ro.build.brand
ro.product.name
ro.product.device
ro.product.board
ro.build.version.release
ro.build.id
ro.build.version.incremental
ro.build.type
ro.build.tags

Whether it also looks to see if those variables match the fingerprint string or not I don't know.

meltwater

Mar 18, 2011
Hey this is interesting, it's now updated with details from yesterday.
Previously, it was reporting (I think this was for pre-gingerbread ROM - i.e. stock 2.1):
TelechipsAndroid for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US)
Now it is reporting (as a separate device):
HAIPADM701

Now I am not sure if it due to me changing the build.prop file or it would have reported that anyway (I suspect this is the case - as the device is listed as registered on 1st - when I changed ROMs, so it is just slow at updating the list), or even if google have updated their lists, but it is a valid device now which you can assign apps to in the Web Store and I hope (I can't check now) will pick them up when you connect on the tablet.

For reference I changed the following in the build.prop (just a random set I found which reported to have a higher result list on searches.
ro.build.description=msm7201a_surf-user 2.1-update1 ERE27 eng.huawei.20100419.103709 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=htc_wwe/htc_legend/legend/legend:2.1/ERD79/139791:user/release-keys

It may just use:
ro.product.manufacturer=HAIPAD
ro.product.model=M701

meltwater

Mar 18, 2011
I've also noticed my other device (TouchHD phone with XdAndroid build on) has no Maker or Model shown but still have items reporting as incompatible so I don't think that the data shown is the important bit. I guess it takes notice of the CPU etc too.