Android Market on the Coby Kyros mid8024 no rooting needed

walbanos

Dec 26, 2011
Went smooth on my 8125

Though I am having an issue with a lot of apps where it is telling me "this app is not compatable with your phone" With more than half the ones I'm after.

Last edited:

Carollh

Dec 30, 2011
it took me a little searching to find this so this is just a repost under 8024 i found it under 7024 but it works perfectly i was a total nube to android and was able to do it but I will break it down a little more for the few questions I had

copy and paste this gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip to the google browser I got it on the media fire site ussually the 2nd result on google download it put it in a file I made one named coby, then unzip it drag and drop the coby file to your micro sd card put the card in the kyros and open the apk installer that comes with the coby install these files
  • Vending.apk (this is the market)
  • MarketUpdater.apk
  • GoogleServicesFramework.apk
  • GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
  • GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
  • Gmail.apk (you may be prompted to install the update possibly)
  • NetworkLocation.apk I dont think this actually does a location localizer but I installed it because they said to

once your done installing do a shut down restart and your set you will need a gmail account so have that ready to sign in to the market I hope this helps speed things up for a few people it worked great but the 8024 is a POS so I returned it today the touch lags to much during internet browsing it drives me crazy good luck to those keeping this thing im just gonna drop the money on the galaxy​

Last edited by mp34me; 06-11-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Clarification​

Thank you for this, but I followed the steps carefully and now my Sansui Lifepad 7 hangs. I am unable to reset it and it does not go past the "ANDROID" sign on the start up page. Please, please help;-0

Just_Illmatic

Dec 30, 2011
I followed all the proper steps to get the android marketplace but now the screen is stuck on the "welcome to MID8024". I'm pressing the android to begin the setup but its not responding. it won't even go back to the home screen...i'm getting rather irritated and i need help. i've used the reset button on the bottom but everytime it boots the same problem occurs

JFS58

Dec 31, 2011
I read with attention you post.
But my tablet Corby Kyros 8127 v.2.3.3 doesn´t install well market.
At click on market icon it open and close again.
any solution ?
Thank´s

Last edited:

liserm

Jan 1, 2012
My husband got me a Coby MID 8027 for Christmas, I couldn't find a reference to this series in the forums, apparently it's made by Coby Germany and I did see it on Amazon Germany. I tried the above methods to install android market, downloaded the zip file and installed the first five apk as instructed, rebooted my tablet and it got stuck on the android welcome screen. I hadn't yet installed the market.apk. the soft reset did not solve the problem and I had to do a factory reset. Anyone had the same problem? Is there another method that I can try without rooting the tablet?

walbanos

Dec 26, 2011
I'm considering getting a Coby Kyros MID8125-4G, can anyone tell me if this guide will work for getting the Android App Store on that device? It runs Android 2.3. http://www.amazon.com/Coby-8-Inch-Android-Internet-Touchscreen/dp/B004QPAKSW/

Have that same one and had no issues with the install at all (followed the steps in the 8th post down in this thread, in the order that gave).

There is one small issue here. This tricks android market into thinking your device is an android phone and it's gotta be a real old model one because a ton of the apps come up as "incompatible with your device."

collinp

Jan 1, 2012
Have that same one and had no issues with the install at all (followed the steps in the 8th post down in this thread, in the order that gave).

There is one small issue here. This tricks android market into thinking your device is an android phone and it's gotta be a real old model one because a ton of the apps come up as "incompatible with your device."

Thanks for the information, it has boosted my confidence in buying this device.

I think there's a fix for the problem you're experiencing, it involves editing a file in the Android Market and changing the data value to some newer phone like the Nexus S. Take a look at this: Free Your Android - How to edit your build.prop file with a file manager

walbanos

Dec 26, 2011
great link! will give it a shot. There was one app I really wanted that was exclusive to the android market, really only reason I bought a tablet was to be able to use that app. Ended up being one that I couldn't buy cause it wasn't compatable. I ended up just google'n 'app-name.apk' and found someone who put it up on mediashare and got it on my 8125 and it worked without any probs so there definitely wasn't an actual compatibility issue.

CorBryant

Jan 7, 2012
it took me a little searching to find this so this is just a repost under 8024 i found it under 7024 but it works perfectly i was a total nube to android and was able to do it but I will break it down a little more for the few questions I had

copy and paste this gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip to the google browser I got it on the media fire site ussually the 2nd result on google download it put it in a file I made one named coby, then unzip it drag and drop the coby file to your micro sd card put the card in the kyros and open the apk installer that comes with the coby install these files
  • MarketUpdater.apk
  • NetworkLocation.apk I dont think this actually does a location localizer but I installed it because they said to

once your done installing do a shut down restart and your set you will need a gmail account so have that ready to sign in to the market I hope this helps speed things up for a few people it worked great but the 8024 is a POS so I returned it today the touch lags to much during internet browsing it drives me crazy good luck to those keeping this thing im just gonna drop the money on the galaxy​

All -

I'll throw my 2 cents in here, just in case anyone else runs in to the same thing that I did. I'm in the IT field, and I've had a handfull of off brand Andoid tablets come through my shop recently. None of them have the market or any useful apps, so I'm assuming this is a licensing thing? Cheap tablet = cheaper version of the Andoid OS, or what?

Several of these tablets were "Impression" brand (May be made by Leader), and one I can't remember the brand on. I followed the directions above and got an error when I ran the market app, after rebooting.

If you get an error when you try to run the market app, just reinstall "vending.apk" and "marketupdate.apk". I didn't even bother uninstalling them first, just run the installer and install those two files again, confirm the 'Overwrite' prompt and you're good to go. Once I did that the market app fired right up, without another reboot.

Not sure what is hanging up, but it's an easy fix. I thought since I'd seen it consistently on the Impression tabs, it might be worthwhile to share. =)

Ciao!

Av8r

Jan 9, 2012
Works on my 7012 ... I need to do more research on whether the market is displaying ONLY compatible apps or if it just hasn't been updated yet...

Sdm1006

Feb 28, 2012
I bought to gift someone the MID7012 Coby Kyro tablet. After discounts and sales I paid $69! Not bad for a tablet instead of just ereader. The step by step instructions you provided were perfect. The only hiccup was my unfamiliarity with the device so to find the files after extracting took a few tries. But completed in the order outlined and now the recipient will love the tablet. I was able to start her with simple notepad apps. Apps for the kids. Avi players. Thank u.

• MarketUpdater.apk