Android Tablet with infrared port?

TomasCrespo

Sep 9, 2010
Hi! Im searching an Android Tablet that has Infrared port. Do you know someone?

Im developer and I want to use one of this as a Universal Remote control

Thanks

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Hello Tomas,
Unfortunately, IR ports are harder and harder to find on any integrated device. The implementation of Bluetooth is replacing IR as the optional connection. There may be a Tablet with IR, but I have not seen one with that option.

scadabg

Apr 14, 2011
Hi! Im searching an Android Tablet that has Infrared port. Do you know someone?

Im developer and I want to use one of this as a Universal Remote control

Thanks

Hi in fact you can have infrared on any android device, using the Irdroid module. see Irdroid and youtube.com/irdroid

RobAGD

Apr 7, 2011
Well Vizio is going to have a tablet with a built in IR blaster,late summer release.

I found this to day poking around - Wholesale Android 2.2 OS 512M DDR2 4GB HDD WIFI Bluetooth IR Remote 7.0 inch Touch Screen Tablet PC

And yes I am looking for the same thing, build a universal remote using a tablet for my home theater.

-Robert

Yacht371

Jun 2, 2011
Check out the Touchsquid. It is a 7" capacitive screen with 1024x768 resolution, and a built in high power infrared transceiver. The included software controls most home entertainment devices. touchsquid.com has details.

Disclaimer:
I am an employee of Touchsquid Technology Inc.

RobAGD

Apr 7, 2011
Cool, Sent an email for info updates and groveling to be a beta tester :)

I would love to tinker with the UI

-Robert

Yacht371

Jun 2, 2011
Cool, Sent an email for info updates and groveling to be a beta tester :)

I would love to tinker with the UI

-Robert

We will be offering an API that will let you use the IR for your own purposes. Also put in your own UI graphics.

Touchsquid

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
There is the Vizio VTAB1008 which includes a built in IR blaster and universal remote control app.
Yes, but the OP said he wanted to develop his own universal remote app. Don't know if he can "get to" the IR device on the VTAB. Also don't know if it's a transceiver. Vizio refers to it as an "IR Blaster" and, as-delivered by Vizio, it has to ability to "learn."

It would be great if it was a transceiver and other devs could get access to the device.

Jim

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Has no-one thought of the Sony S1? That thing is supposed to have an infrared port to the best of my knowledge. It's touted as a big feature, too, and (again, to the best of my knowledge) is compatible with a very wide variety of devices.

Nov 22, 2011
Has no-one thought of the Sony S1? That thing is supposed to have an infrared port to the best of my knowledge. It's touted as a big feature, too, and (again, to the best of my knowledge) is compatible with a very wide variety of devices.

The Sony Tablet S and Galaxy Tab 7" Plus (just launched) are both locked. I've researched both as I also want to make an app available on a tablet using the IR port. I think Google is trying to use the lack of IR support in Android as a way to push Google TV adoption just like Apple is using it to push Apple TV adoption with AirPlay. It's a shame, really, because we developers could be making much better apps than the universal remote "consolidation" apps that currently ship with these products. I'm constantly flustered when I see how short sighted the hardware companies and developers are at who produce these products only to let them stagnate in a market full of sameness. :mad::mad::mad:

pegopu

Feb 19, 2012
The Vizio Tablet comes with infrared port and also comes with the remote control application, so if you want to control your tv, etc.. it will do it!

Thank you