Android tablets: why does background move slightly when swiping?

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
A friend and I were just at Best Buy comparing the iPad with various Android tablets. She's an Apple person and has some experience with the iPad. The one thing that she most didn't like about the Androids was the way when you swipe to another page from the home page, the background (wallpaper) shifts slightly. With the iPad the background/wallpaper stays completely still and you have this nice effect of the icons shifting quickly while the background stays the same. Apparently there's no setting inside Android that would allow you to change this. The salesperson said that that's just built into Android; that it gives it a certain 'dynamic' quality. My friend just could not get used to it and really didn't like it. I can see what she's talking about; it gives the swiping a certain soggy character, it makes it feel jerky and not tight and crisp.

Any comments on this? Why would the Android developers think this is something attractive? I assume it's been written about since it's one of the first things you notice when using an Android tablet if you're used to an iPad. Thanks for any thoughts.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Ah...well...I like it...for me it creates a certain idea of movement, from one desktop to the other one...just tell your friend to keep the iPad