Another New Tablet (Not Sure exactly what I have)

moxpearl

Dec 19, 2011
So I purchased a cheap tab to have a play with (Mainly for my partner)

http://www.***************/store/60...B-4GB-Android-2-3-touch-screen-tablet-pc.html

On the About Device page in Android it says

Model Number: m799ca v2.0
Android Version: 2.3.3
Baseband Version: Unknown
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-infoTM
Build Number: m799ca-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.petter.20111128.170033 test-keys

Basically I would like to root it/get rid of all the bloatware on it..

Also.. "Cell Standby" seems to be using all the battery .. despite it being off etc.. and various bits seem disabled (Eg airplane mode is missing) .. this is causing MASSIVE battery loss.. its using 81% of the batery... yet all the network/cell etc things are turned off

Not complaining to much (The price is right) .. however it would be nice to have this running proper :)

Thanks heaps :)

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
So I purchased a cheap tab to have a play with (Mainly for my partner)

On the About Device page in Android it says

Model Number: m799ca v2.0
Android Version: 2.3.3
Baseband Version: Unknown
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-infoTM
Build Number: m799ca-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.petter.20111128.170033 test-keys

Basically I would like to root it/get rid of all the bloatware on it..

Also.. "Cell Standby" seems to be using all the battery .. despite it being off etc.. and various bits seem disabled (Eg airplane mode is missing) .. this is causing MASSIVE battery loss.. its using 81% of the batery... yet all the network/cell etc things are turned off

Not complaining to much (The price is right) .. however it would be nice to have this running proper :)

Thanks heaps :)
Welcome to the forum!

Determine the Hardware Id "hwver" using Android Terminal Emulator (no root required) then run the following command.

Code:
$ cat /proc/cmdline
Once you have that information please post and then review infoTMIC Hardware ID's "hwver" and updates (*.ius) for some insight.

Additionally, a copy of the build.prop will provide more information if you post along with the Hardware Id "hwver".

Some more resource links posted below for review as most of the InfoTMIC power tablets use similar tweaks and have common issues.

moxpearl

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply

However I am getting "Permission Denied" when trying the

$ cat /proc/cmdline
Any Ideas ??

Thanks

sundance418

Dec 11, 2011
i have a 5" android tablet its supose to have google n android market n it a ployer its in chines i dont know what to do i can do anyhting wiht it but listen to music n vidoes thats it its supose to have facebook n utube n google n all that but it dont pls help me:mad::(

Last edited:

sundance418

Dec 11, 2011
we never seen anyhting like that on there its has a apkinstaller but evertime we load it it dont to anything the book is in a diffrent laugh

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the reply

However I am getting "Permission Denied" when trying the

$ cat /proc/cmdline
Any Ideas ??

Thanks

It should not require rooting but maybe your firmware does. Odd!

Ensure you are typing at the $ (shell prompt) cat <space> /proc/cmdline

If the command won't respond turn tablet off, restart, open Android Terminal Emulator, at the $ (shell propt) type dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

Assuming you have an SD card inserted in the tablet the output for this command will be sent to the text file "dmesg.txt".

Please post it's contents along with the build.prop.

Is this a 10" or 7" tablet? How many buttons, front, back, side?

Based on what you posted the tablet has Gingerbread Android 2.3 which seems the most recent release for these tablets. Google "InfoTMIC M799".

Top result -
Model Number: SCA-M799. Processor Model: Infotmic. Processor Manufacture: Infotmic X210. operation system: ANDROID 2.3.

You might be able to apply most of the tweaks noted in the http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/ forum as these are other 7" & 10" InfoTMIC powered tablets however they do NOT have Gingerbread.

Last edited:

moxpearl

Dec 19, 2011
Here is a picture of it

$201112105035120.jpg

Last edited:

moxpearl

Dec 19, 2011
Just tried the output to SDcard method.. same thing.. perm denied :/

Also using Android System Info

CPU = IMAPX200

Market works fine.

Also the battery seems to be getting drained FAST by "Cell Standby" .. even thou I have everything turned off

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Just tried the output to SDcard method.. same thing.. perm denied :/

Also using Android System Info

CPU = IMAPX200

Market works fine.

Also the battery seems to be getting drained FAST by "Cell Standby" .. even thou I have everything turned off
See this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/20293-uninstalling-apps.html#post118310 for a suggestion on root access and some ideas of the tweaks. Then in that same forum using the "Search Forum" feature you'll find more and more posts about gaining permissions and stock applications.

The picture posted is so similar to many of the older tablets but it really depends on the board which is best defined by the Hardware Id "hwver". See this thread for a close match but needs confirmation. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/27992-synet7lp-ds-model.html

Once you have root the commands should work and then you can finally post the specific Hardware Id "hwver" which will provide more specific insight.

Last edited:

moxpearl

Dec 19, 2011
Is there a universal guide to rooting or is it dif for every device ??

Universal Androot seems to only work on 2.2 .. tried gingerbreak out of desperation .. didnt work either

Running 2.3.3 here

Anyways think I am gonna try send it back, it just seems bung really :/

Last edited:

moxpearl

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks for the help,

Still not sure what it is, however I am sending it back for a replacement (Battery problems + something was loose inside it)

Guess we will see what I get back :p

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the help,

Still not sure what it is, however I am sending it back for a replacement (Battery problems + something was loose inside it)

Guess we will see what I get back :p
Good luck, came across this statement in a post which may offer another suggestion for root.

The device I have runs Android 2.3, and I was able to gain root access using Gingerbreak. The trick then is to use /system/bin/su and not su to gain superuser privileges.

unixgeek58

Dec 22, 2011
I seem to have the same model (M799CA V2.0) and same OS (2.3.3) and it has the same battery problem (fast drain by cellphone standby).
I don't seem to have anything loose inside. Unfortunately, mine was a freebie giveaway, so I can't return it.
Neither the MID box it came in, nor the skimpy instruction manual had any contact info (no phone/email/address).

On the back page of the manual it did say that a 3G card was an "optional" part, so I doubt there is any cell phone chip or hardware in it at all.
But yet it says that the battery is used mostly by the "cellphone standby". Why is that???

And I too have looked though the settings to turn off the "cellphone standby" or put it into "airplane mode" no luck.
So I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to proceed to reduce or eliminate the fast battery drain.

Thanks.

NEM3SIS

Dec 17, 2011
CFrockit will not lead you astray... But based on my experience with this exact kernel version I found the best rooting tool is ZergRush

My suggestions in this post http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...2-tablet-pc-7-inch-infotmic-9.html#post161528 will likely be very similar, and you will likely need to have ADB (android device bridge) working on your PC before any rooting tool is going to be able to communicate with it.