Another question for those using the S7 as a phone

DougP

Jan 2, 2011
I just ordered a BT headset for my S7 and I plan on using it as my primary phone instead of my HTC Hero.

Im sure it will take some adjusting to because of the size and such but I wanted to ask those using it as your phone, what apps and accessories do you recommend to make using the S7 as a phone much easier?

thanks
dp

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
agree on the dialer that comes standard. One note is that when you enter contacts they dont show up until you sync with gmail. It drove me crazy for a while, hopefully this helps you. The bluetooth work really well on this device.

Welcome to the club...

Ladyorr

Feb 10, 2011
I tried everything they said step by step. I saw the AT&T an home screen tried to mace a call screen said press menu soft key I choose speaker nothing happen most important I could not end the call. I noticed at the top right where that I is when I pressed it the call was still in progress for over 2hrs. Somebody please write me back I use

Thank you so much!!!!

DougP

Jan 2, 2011
I feel so stupid, my HTC Hero is CDMA and has no SIM

I was looking forward to this....darn

gcl915

Feb 3, 2011
I feel so stupid, my HTC Hero is CDMA and has no SIM

I was looking forward to this....darn

DougP, you can still use the tablet as a VoIp phone for free using Sipgate and google voice, however; there needs to be an active wifi connection for this to work...if that is something that interests you, let me know and I'll put detailed instructions on here

gcl915

Feb 3, 2011
Sounds like a software bug...did you try rebooting the device? Also, get an app called Fast Reboot from the market, it cleans your phone's RAM to make your phone/tablet run smoother....hope that helps

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I had this happen once. The call wouldn't hang up, and it didn' go thru either . I ended call under notifications. Never happened again.. ???? But i don't make calls too often.

Sent from my S7

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
If you are wanting VoIp with just WiFi there is also an app on the market called NetTalk that works great as well. I tried the Sipgate and google voice and it worked, but I was not giving out my number, just wanted to be able to make calls if I needed to and this works great. You don't have an incoming number, but you can make out going calls (you show up on caller ID as unknown if that matters to you at all as well).

I bought this as a tablet, being able to use it as a phone in a crunch is just a bonus to me.

czstar

Jan 2, 2011
If you are wanting VoIp with just WiFi there is also an app on the market called NetTalk that works great as well. I tried the Sipgate and google voice and it worked, but I was not giving out my number, just wanted to be able to make calls if I needed to and this works great. You don't have an incoming number, but you can make out going calls (you show up on caller ID as unknown if that matters to you at all as well).

I bought this as a tablet, being able to use it as a phone in a crunch is just a bonus to me.

I have a standard S7 and when I tried NetTalk I got an echo over the speaker and the person on the other said the volume was inaudible. Are there settings to fix that? I really want to get wifi calling to work - anybody have step by step instructions for Google voice or NetTalk?

mrook15

Dec 26, 2010
I have tried to go through all the steps but I cannot figure how to get my Sip gate number into Google voice, it only has my T Mobile number and I cannot see any way to add a number in Google Voice settings.

RoyEP3

Feb 3, 2011
I have tried to go through all the steps but I cannot figure how to get my Sip gate number into Google voice, it only has my T Mobile number and I cannot see any way to add a number in Google Voice settings.

On your desktop,
- go to google.com/voice
- settings > voice settings
- under the "phones" tab, click add another phone

and then just enter your sip gate number

olewh

Jan 1, 2011
Ive tried setting up sipdroid/sipgate/google voice as suggested but got to a point (not sure where) where I was advised this facility was currently only available to the US and Canada. So no good to me living in the UK