Any easy way to access Ad-Hoc network on the horizon?

eracer

Nov 20, 2011
I love my VTAB but hate that I can't tether to my phone for wifi. I somewhat get all the rooting discussion, but I'm not too anxious to go that route. Any gurus out there that believe that either Visio or a third party will come up with an app or easy fix that will enable Ad-Hoc networks--in the near future?

Thanks.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
I'm in the same boat. Today is the last day I can take it back to Sam's. Rooting appears complicated and ad hoc recognition adds another layer. But Vizio has been pretty unresponsive to improvement suggestions. Will ICS support ad hoc networking? When and will the VTAB get it? Who knows?

eracer

Nov 20, 2011
Seems ridiculous to me that an open architecture like android doesn't just allow Ad-Hoc network recognition. Is there some big security issue or something?

I don't get it.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
I have not had any issues linking to my wifi hotspot, I think a while back in another thread we came to the conclusion that you need to be using WPA2 security. Have you tried to set that and use it?

eracer

Nov 20, 2011
Is your VTAB connecting to an Ad-hoc Network? I have no problems accessing traditional wifi hotspots with the VTAB, but my phone sets up an Ad-hoc network for tethering (thru WMwifirouter). The VTAB doesn't even see it when searching for wireless networks. My laptop computer sees and will connect to the Ad-hoc network and tether from my phone no problem (using WPA2 security).

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
Yes it is using my phone, I am remembering more of that thread and my experience now. If your phone is rooted... I tried using Barnacle initially on my phone but it did not work, switched to Wireless Tether and worked great. So it may be the app you are using?

Side note: Unfortunately My Droid 2 Global got the new Gingerbread update and is no longer rooted, but my vtab still sees the network created through the default VZ software, but I am not paying $20 a month to use data I am already paying for. So I am going without for now.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
My Touch Pro 2 with Froyo Android build 7.1 installed has Wireless Tethering option.
Once I turn it on, Vizio sees the network and connects no prob.

But I think it creates Access Point, not ad-hoc.

In any case, maybe this will be useful to someone.

Last edited:

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I have not had any issues linking to my wifi hotspot, I think a while back in another thread we came to the conclusion that you need to be using WPA2 security. Have you tried to set that and use it?

Using a WiFi hotspot is different than connecting with another device in an adhoc network.

Using the built in hotspot on a smart phone should work with any smart phone/vtab combo with the smart phone providing the hotspot.

Support for ad hoc networks is not built into Android, so there are file(s) that have to be modded and possibly other changes.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
I was finally able to root today, thanks to Maine_Coon's help. Then, I was able to enable ad hoc support with an XDA thread on doing it with the Nook Color. One I understood what was going on (and my previous experimentations with Ubuntu and Mint helped), it wasn't too hard. We should start some sticky threads for FAQs on how to do these things.