Any hacks to make use of USB Modems?

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
Hello,

Here in the USA, as with probably other countries, cellular providers sell USB modem where one can get mobile broadband access. Normally, people use this with their laptops to get Internet access anywhere.

Does anyone know if a hack can be made on an Android Tablet to make use of the USB modem? Of course, I am referring to a tablet/slate that has a USB port.

It would be great if it was possible to get Internet access anywhere.

Thanks

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
well you can have internet anywhere with with a 3g modem if your tablet is 3g compatible but for a normal mobile broadband modem i don't think there is a hack

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You need to compile drivers for USB hosting and for the 3G USB stick itself I think

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
So it would not be possible to use a 3G USB modem on a tablet because of the lack of drivers? I thought I read somewhere that people have been successful in using the modem to get Internet access.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
if your tablet is 3g compatible there are modems that will work with it if not then no

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
if your tablet is 3g compatible there are modems that will work with it if not then no

I just ordered Wits A81E - it does NOT say it's 3G comp. So what option do I have to get Int. access where NO WIFI available? Can anybody recommend a cheap MID with 3G, to use as an alternative, PLEASE....?

shawnjgoff

Aug 19, 2010
I have no experience compiling drivers for these Android tablets, but I do have much experience getting the 3g modems to work on another Linux device. There are just a few 3g drivers out there - it's easy to find out which one your 3g device needs. If you can get the driver compiled for your tablet's kernel, the rest is usually pretty easy. After the driver, what you need are pppd and a serial communication tool - these are on almost every linux out there - I'd be surprised if they weren't on Android. On the other hand, there are devices out there like Cradlepoint's WiPipe that will connect using the 3g modem and serve as a WiFi hotspot that your tablet can connect to.

Last edited:

zerotiger

Nov 11, 2010
It would be easier to use your cell phone as a modem instead. It might save you money too if you are already paying for a data plan on your mobile.

EmperorNemisis

Sep 6, 2011
You can use any usb gsm/cdma modem with a android tablet as long as your use the modem's command set to switch off the built in NAND flash and the micro SD card reader that most of them have these days. As soon as that is done, you can attach it to the tablet's usb ports and then set up the device. The device number should then reflect *99# as this is the dial string. Once this is set up, you can use the cheapest of tablets to surf the net! Check out the net for information on your modem's AT command set and how to switch these features on and off.