Can Honeycomb connect to 3G Networks via USB

csteed

Nov 30, 2011
I am going to buy a Sony S Tablet which only has Wifi and no 'inbuilt 3G' but the tablet has a USB port. I have a laptop running Windows 7 which also has Wifi only, but I can go to a network provider and purchase a Internet Broadband USB Modem, plug it into my laptop USB port and be connected to the Net. Does Android Honeycomb allow you to do the same thing?

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Honeycomb yes, but it will depend more on the device capabilities and if it is compatible or not.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

csteed

Nov 30, 2011
Rob,
Thanks for the reply. I thought that it would be the OS that determines whether the tablet is 'smart enough' to recognise the USB connection of the device (as Windows does).
If native Honeycomb does not have that built in, is there an Android app that provides a link/interface to a USB modem?
Chris

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
I don't use any but a quick search on the Android Market should give you various results. Is a good practice to check the ratings and comments when looking for apps.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I would suggest getting a MiFi device from your carrier rather than a USB modem. This will guarantee good results. With USB, it may be necessary to root your tablet with a custom ROM to get a 3G modem to work. Beyond this, using a smartphone to tether via WiFi or Bluetooth has yielded good results for most users.

csteed

Nov 30, 2011
There are a number of results when looking for an 'app solution' and it would seem that it does depend upon the tablet itself. I have sent an email to Sony seeking advice on their tablet's capabilities. The Mifi seems like a good solution. Thanks for all your feedback.

wafibogor

Sep 12, 2011
There are a number of results when looking for an 'app solution' and it would seem that it does depend upon the tablet itself. I have sent an email to Sony seeking advice on their tablet's capabilities. The Mifi seems like a good solution. Thanks for all your feedback.

hi csteed, did you get advice on this? could you share? i'm thinking of the same.

csteed

Nov 30, 2011
When I purchased my Sony tablet about 6 months ago, there was no 3G versions but Sony have now released one with 3G capabilities. I found that I can actually get Internet access by tethering my 3G mobile phone to the tablet, as a way to gain access when I am not near my home wifi. So Android tablets do have 3G access if it is built into the device.

takyoko34

Jun 19, 2012
As long as it has a USB port, it should be able to detect and use the 3G dongles you purchase. It works in Donut, so I really think Honeycomb is able to do it as well.