Any Regrets about the Acer Icona Tab A500?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The store's wifi was not shown at all on the Acer. I called a salesman over and he manually set the store wifi into the Acer and then the browser and all started working. So then I started wondering why the Asus would show ten available connections - most with strong signals - and the Acer only show one that it could not connect to because it was not strong enough.

The store's wifi was not broadcasting its SSID. Once the salesman keyed it in, then the Asus and the Acer can see all the same access points.

Some places set up their house network like this so that people in the store don't use their devices to surf on the store's bandwidth. Best Buy is known for this in most of their stores. The last thing they want is you shopping for a better price using their network.

Any hacker worth his salt will blow right by that trick in about 3 minutes of standing outside the store. Hiding SSIDs is no real security at all.

So don't blame the Acer.

sungod88

Nov 22, 2010
Agreed with IceBike, Anyone can hide an SSID to stop you from finding the connection, kind of like trying to log a computer you can't see. I can't tell you how much I love having a USB port. I use a mouse all the time and think about it this way....16gb storage on tablet 16 on thumb drive and 16 on MicroSd...come at me bro! lol

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
First, I love my Iconia! And I agree with everything said about it here.
I do want to say this... its not going to be perfect. Something isn't going work right or its not going to be able to do something you were hoping it would. Tablets are, even now, still new and not totally standardized. All tablets, from the 600 dollar ones to the 200 will have their benefits and draw backs. The A500, I feel, is the best offer out there.

Killjoy

Oct 5, 2011
Agreed, value wise, this tablet was the best value at the time I bought it. I still think it is but now my opinion is a little more biased because since owning this tablet, I havent bothered to check out the competition anymore. As far as weight goes, I never hold my tablet when I am using it at all. Reading, watching a movie, working, it is always laying on a surface. And when I have to prop it up, my Case Crown case takes care of it. Good luck no matter what direction you decide to go.

cb2000a

Aug 17, 2011
Acer should have addressed the mic level problem by now. The lack of support is steering me away from Acer in the future. Also, it really is too heavy.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Acer should have addressed the mic level problem by now. The lack of support is steering me away from Acer in the future. Also, it really is too heavy.
Too heavy... you don't know what heavy is! Try a 13" Dell Latitude E4300 with a BATTERY SLICE - then you'll have something to complain about. I have to lug one around all day at work.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
And besides, the mic problem is not a problem from ACER, because the mic works fine when using headphones to prevent FEEDBACK. The mic automatically adjusts itself when it detects feedback. If it doesn't detect feedback the mic will increase its sensitivity.

The sound is too good coming from the speakers...

I'm very happy with my A500. It does what it is meant to do.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
If weight is the issue, maybe you should get the A100. I did a lot of checking and comparing. The Acer came out on top. Had the Sony S Tablet not come out when it did, that is the one I would have bought.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

KahunaGrande

Nov 20, 2011
I have had my A500 for about 8 weeks now and have absolutely zero regrets, it is exceeding my expectations. The hardware specs are excellent, especially in terms of connecting to other devices.

I use mine as an electronic flight bag when flying, and it has essentially replaced my laptop for business use, especially when travelling.

Weight is fine especially when compared to travelling with a laptop, battery life is fine, and it works with my network at home just fine. Pairs up with my HTC Droid Incredible, although after the phone upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3) PDANet for Tablet beta no longer works for bluetooth tethering - so I broke down and activated the WiFi hotspot feature on the Incredible - performance has been great.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
My thoughts exactly. The company I work for will be going over to Android - so I'm waiting impatiently for the equipment to be rolled out. As I've said before I'm extremely happy with my A500. When I bought Ishowed my boss and he went out and bought the W500. He had Apple iphone and Ipad and he reckons the A500/w500 is much better.

+1 on the Wifi Hotspot - connects in a flash. I tried it with a work colleague's HTC connected in 2 seconds flat.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Isn't the hotspot feature automatically activated?

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
This is yet to be said for me, I ordered mine today and I'm very exited to see what it can do. I will surely come back and give my 2C if any.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I do not know where the negative comments are that 1776 mentioned but I have not seen any relevant ones. I will be surprised if you are not really pleased with it, unless of course you think that beer app you see on tv is actually supposed to work. :)

kumite4u

Nov 27, 2011
I absolutely love my Iconia. However, now that I see the new Asus Transformer Prime coming out, I wish I would have waitied. It's about half as thin as the Iconia, has a quad core vs a dual core processor and even with the optional keyboard attached it's still looks thinner than the Iconia. That is the tablet to get if you can. Starts at $499 but has 32 gb memory. However, if staying in the $350 price range is an absolute must...then you cannot go wrong with the Iconia.

jacom700

Nov 6, 2011
I've had mine for about 4 weeks now and my only complaint is with video playback. SD movies playback can be a little jumpy at times and HD (720p) are impossible to watch.