Anyone want to review this for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yacko

Nov 2, 2010
I went to Sears today to see this after watching a few video's on YouTube. When I got to sears they said they had them in back but didn't have one for demonstration as that would make it open box and they don't do that. Then he said there is a 15% restocking fee if you return it after you open. They guy tried to tell me, "Its android you already know how it works". When I mentioned, but it has a non-stock interface he gave me the deer in the headlights look. I thought Sears salesman were on commission, but this guy was stuck at "Buy it and I'll let you open the box, if not go away" attitude.

After watching the YouTube video's, they all seemed to love the hard ware but the software was seriously lacking on this thing. So anyone got one who wants to share their impressions with this device, how hackable do you think this thing is. I would love to pick one up if either a) we can hack it or b) they are going to improve the software

jsuber

Jul 31, 2010
I went to Sears today to see this after watching a few video's on YouTube. When I got to sears they said they had them in back but didn't have one for demonstration as that would make it open box and they don't do that. Then he said there is a 15% restocking fee if you return it after you open. They guy tried to tell me, "Its android you already know how it works". When I mentioned, but it has a non-stock interface he gave me the deer in the headlights look. I thought Sears salesman were on commission, but this guy was stuck at "Buy it and I'll let you open the box, if not go away" attitude.

After watching the YouTube video's, they all seemed to love the hard ware but the software was seriously lacking on this thing. So anyone got one who wants to share their impressions with this device, how hackable do you think this thing is. I would love to pick one up if either a) we can hack it or b) they are going to improve the software
Is Sears Selling the "Vague" Tablet? I'm sorry I don't have my mind reading software installed yet, so what are you talking about? Is it the Viewsonic, if so then write that.

Yacko

Nov 2, 2010
Is Sears Selling the "Vague" Tablet? I'm sorry I don't have my mind reading software installed yet, so what are you talking about? Is it the Viewsonic, if so then write that.

Ugh.. we are in the Viewsonic Tablets sub forum....

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I'll get this and run it though it's paces. I am sure the ROM Coders will get out ROM MOD for it sooner or later.

Last edited:

plvaulter06

Aug 30, 2010
I'll get this and run it though it's paces. I am sure the ROM Coders will get out ROM MOD for it sooner or later.

But hopefully sooner than later! From what I have been reading over on XDA the UI is pretty much worthless. I'm getting one tomorrow if there are any available locally.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
But hopefully sooner than later! From what I have been reading over on XDA the UI is pretty much worthless. I'm getting one tomorrow if there are any available locally.

Well I didn't know there was a sale on this:
150295_454725122948_579882948_5584529_7993997_n.jpg

I just got the Coby FYROS last week and Maylong M-150 suppose to be get here tomorrow so much delay with that one! I was on the phone with my local SEARS she told she could order it. I like to avoid anything special order.
But a few months ago I had heard that Kmart was suppose to carry this brand along with Costco, SamsClub, Wal-mart and Target? I wonder what happen to those stores?

New specs:
This is an NVIDIA Tegra 2-based 10-inch (1024X600) tablet running Android 2.2 aka "Froyo" (short for frozen yogurt). The device also has 1GB of system memory, 16GB of Flash storage (expandable to 32GB), a 1.3MP webcam, USB port, Mini HDMI, 802.11n Wireless and Bluetooth 2.1.

Video (Wow Factor 100%)
Viewsonic G

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
viewsonic-g-tablet-full.jpg

More info..

Unlike the ViewPad 10, which ran on an Intel Atom CPU or the ViewPad 7 with a Qualcomm chip inside, the G-Tablet is an Nvidia Tegra 2 device. Instead of dual-booting Windows 7 and Android 1.6, you just get Android 2.2. With Tegra under the hood you get snappy multitasking performance, 1080p video playback, Flash 10.1 support, and smooth gameplay (we tried a game of Speed Forge). Viewsonic will also bundle an HDMI cable in the box, which attaches to a proprietary connector on the device. Measuring 9.96 x 6.5 x 0.5 inches, the G-Tablet is about the same size at the ViewPad 10, but perhaps a little lighter. The Android buttons — Home, Back, Menu, Search — are higher up on the left so they fall more naturally under the thumb as well, something we’ve seen on a few other large tablets and like a lot.

MSRP: $429

Full Specs:

CPU: 1GHz nVidia Tegra 2 Dual Cortex A9
3D acceleration, GPU Flash 10 acceleration
Display: 10-inch 1024 x 600 (16:9)
Capacitive Multi-Touch
Storage: 512MB SLC + 16G NAND Flash
RAM: 1GB DDR2
1.3m webcam w/ built in microphone
Wireless: 802.11 b/g/n; Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Ports: Mini HDMI; Mini USB; Earphone; Micro SD card slot
Audio: Two 1W speakers
G sensor / Light sensor
Battery: 3500mAHr / 7.4V Li-polymer battery
Estimated 8 hrs 1080p video, 10hrs 720p video, 10-12 hrs mixed mode

Last edited:

JRowe

Oct 19, 2010
Meet the ViewSonic G Tablet - spec
Shows 512 MB DRR, which I'm going to assume is meant to be DDR. Other than that, it looks like a very well crafted tablet (the button placement is perfect.)

Looks like a pretty sweet buy. (I see it does have a mic.)

I can't see anything wrong with this little rig.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Looks like the ViewPad Dual Boot Android OS/Windows OS 7 one won't be out until Jan/Feb 2011 with Intel Atom in it. That one has the 1GB of RAM MSRP is $629

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 4, 2010
I picked one of these up yesterday - so far I am impressed with it. I did use the thread over at XDA and root it this morning - and also installed several of the "google" apps that did not come already installed on it...however, after root - there was several force closes and gTalk would not work. I unrooted and did a factory reset. This time I only installed the google app .apk's - and all is functioning well except the Market is missing several (I mean ALOT) of apps. There is not a fix for this yet - that I have found.

Other impressions of the tablet - sometimes the screen is slow to respond (when tapping an icon to open not scrolling thru the screens) but it is not very often. The battery life seems to be as they indicate - 8 to 10 hours. I have LauncherPro installed and it looks nice on there (but not as nice as on my X..LOL)...

WhiskeyJack

Nov 12, 2010
Just found your forum thought I'd post my 2cents. I've had a unit for about a week and it's a step forward from the m003 I got in China.
While the screen isn't as responsive as the Ipad it's good but as noted can be a little slow at times.
50% of the time when waking from sleep state you've lost the wireless connection and it requires a reboot.
No Market yet unless you want to jump through hoops, no flash so no youtube. Have only tried xvid files but have been very happy with those.
Battery life seems very good playing video I've gotten over 4 hours of run time.
Size is great I'm a little older so the 10" screen is much appreciated. Viewing angle can be a somewhat limited and it does pick up glare so that makes it less desireable when compared to a nook or knidle for ebooks. Don't get me wrong it's much better than some devices and the size makes up for other limitations.
Pretty limited in the applications installed, have installed several dozen applications to try them out with about an 80% success rate.

Bottom line Good hardware suffering from the software front end, I think that the mod community will fix much but if Viewsonic wants this to be a consumer success it's got a ways to go. Looking for a Viewsonic firmware update and offical support for flash and Market.

If you're a seasoned Gadget lover go for it on sale but it's no Ipad killer and at Sears list price of $399 you're getting close to the bottom level IPAD

cas1834

Aug 24, 2010
Same here...went to Sears and they wouldn't show me one because they had to open the box. I think they know the software is underwhelming and they are counting on sales to the unknowing. Wonder if they will have a bunch of open box G-Tabs in Clearance after Christmas?? I asked Santa for one so hoping to see one under the tree. I will then be unavailable for the next 3 days as I rip it apart and play with the guts. It will then be customized brutally until it begs for mercy. ;-) Seriously, if I get one I will do a review.

rayw796

Dec 9, 2010
I received my G Tablet last Friday. After the OTA update from Viewsonic it functioned very well. However, there were a few things still missing like the regular Android market. I also preferred the standard Android Interface rather than the Viewsonic one.

I installed TnT Lite 2.2.0 and performed the Market Mods from xda-developers. It is an amazing machine and I am very happy with it. As developers and Android gets more tablet specific with their apps and OS, this hardware will be even more awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.