Archos 101 as main computer

Nov 25, 2010
Hi all, I wanted to know your opinion on using the Archos 101 as my main computer. I currently use my Xbox for all movies/music/games, so I basically simply need something that will give me an enjoyable net experience, and I'm really interested in a tablet.

When I want a tablet - I'd just walk around with it (with wireless net and access to data storage).

When I want a computer - I figure I can plug the 101 into my 24" screen, have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and run torrents.

Right now I do this with a Netbook, but I figure the 101 will be better to do some couch surfing.

Are there any downsides that I'm not thinking off? I've never owned an Android device, and I've never owned a tablet.

cheers

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, First off, I cannot predict your use. But you must keep in mind these four points.
1. ANDROID is NOT Microsoft.
2. A Tablet is NOT a netbook or a PC or a game console by default
3. An Android Tablet has many remarkable features, but are not mature enough yet for Netbook/primary computer unless you already use a Smart Phone as your primary gaming/Email/webBrowsing computer
4. The Marketing hype for all tablets (IPads included) have exceeded reality. (This is a normal situation for new technology.

That stated, if you will continue to use your XBox as your primary unit and slowly migrate to the 101, you may be OK. There are many who will buy a tablet and then be disappointed by expecting too much with current tablet capability. This is especially true for those who but the cheapest and least expensive tabs. The 101 does not fall into this realm of low end. BUT, you need to understand the current limitations. These limitations will disappear over the next year in my opinion. But if you remember first gen XBox Ring of death, think in those terms. This is a quickly maturing tech. But is not there as a full featured device yet.

But that is my opinion

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
As gurgle said and I want to add that there's no way you can run torrents on a tablet right now. Can you imagine running a 101 overnight to download a 10GB movies?

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
As gurgle said and I want to add that there's no way you can run torrents on a tablet right now. Can you imagine running a 101 overnight to download a 10GB movies?
That would be awesome! Something for the tablet to do during school!!!!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
You can download torrents to android devices

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
There is a BitTorrent client, as well as many others. (BitTor,TorDroid,,,) But as ProbbietheOne said, I will continue to use my PC. It is the impact of I/O the way torrents work would make me only choose the smallest torrents.

AndroidCake

Jan 1, 2011
I rarely use my notebook at home since I got my Evo 4G so I'm looking forward to my 101 which I should have next week. I try not to do any time consuming computer work at home since I do it all day at work so these tablets IMO and for what I do will be great.

~AC