ARCHOS: External Bluetooth GPS receivers are now supported

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
Can anyone advise what I need. Not sure what an external bluetooth gps receiver is - any recommendations??
It will be for the archos 70.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Last edited:

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
Yes - It left Canada by Express Post International. Tracking shows it as sitting at Burlington.
2010/12/11 09:12 BURLINGTON Order information received by Canada Post
It doesn't seemed to have moved..

But at least I will have it by Xmas..... (fingers crossed)

firefox111

Dec 3, 2010
I have a Palm bluetooth GPS receiver that I used with my Palm Tx. I paired it with my A70 successfully. The A70 sees it as a GPS device! But I don't know how to use it with the A70. Where do I get software and map for me to use Navigation on the A70?

Yes - It left Canada by Express Post International. Tracking shows it as sitting at Burlington.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010

If your tracking shows "Order information received by Canada Post" as mine does that means its scheduled for pickup. Scott tells me that will be Thursday ie today

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
RC211e -
"If your tracking shows "Order information received by Canada Post" as mine does that means its scheduled for pickup. Scott tells me that will be Thursday ie today"

What!!!! Are you saying that it hasn't even left Canada yet?? I was hoping it would be here in the next day or so????

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
RC211e -
"If your tracking shows "Order information received by Canada Post" as mine does that means its scheduled for pickup. Scott tells me that will be Thursday ie today"

What!!!! Are you saying that it hasn't even left Canada yet?? I was hoping it would be here in the next day or so????
Here is my email trail
Sent: Wednesday, 15 December 2010 9:47 AM
To:XXXXX
Subject: Re: Archos 70
Yes they are being shipped out on Thursday and the address is correct. Thats a bug in the system that leaves off one line of the address in the email. Not a good thing

Hotmp3gear/computer Innovations
Phone 905-630-0630
Fax 905-637-6339
----- Original Message -----
To: Computer Innovations
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:37 PM
Subject: RE: Archos 70
Hi
Sorry to bother you yet again.
I received an advice last Saturday from Canada Post that you had advised an order confirmation for item ....... to be shipped.
Does that mean my Archos has been shipped or have you just booked for it to be picked up?
The reason I ask is nothing has changed on the Tracking site since Saturday.
I also noticed that the shipping address as displayed in the Canada Post system does not have the full address it leaves out the line with my company name and floor level Thanks again for your prompt attention on this, with I little luck I may have an Archos here in Australia for Christmas.
Best Regards

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
I have a Palm bluetooth GPS receiver that I used with my Palm Tx. I paired it with my A70 successfully. The A70 sees it as a GPS device! But I don't know how to use it with the A70. Where do I get software and map for me to use Navigation on the A70?

I haven't got my Archos yet but when I do I will be investigating using OziExplorer maps for 4x4 tracks. I have a lot of scanned paper maps that get accurately postioned by the GPS software for offroad driving. Currently I think the best Andriod application for this is
Androzic (its on the Market)
To read more about Ozi maps go here
Official OziExplorer Web Site - GPS Mapping Software for Tracking and Navigation. Supports Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and GPS
Ozi will be on Andriod soon

For regular navigatiion I would look for something like TomTom. Google is not much good because it won't preload maps.

Is that any help?
I will be able to tell you more when I actually have a device

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
So for those interested in OziExplorer and Archos yesterday I installed Androzic and a bunch of Ozi maps and configured my external GPS and bingo I had an incar navigation sytem for remote areas. Only trick to remember is Androzic only supports OZFx3 format Ozi maps.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Picture of Archos running as in car mapping system
$IMG_0022.jpg

justinepeter

Feb 28, 2011
Here are some external bluetooth GPS recievers that are supported by the Archos.
LN23jL1E9t8,
Hama bluetooth gps receiver,
iBlutooth gps receiver,
Jentro BT-gps-8,
Globalsat BT-359,
BTGP-38KM/65C.