Asus Eee Pad Transformer Drops to $299.99 at Best Buy

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
eee-pad-transformer-best-buy-300.jpg

This is a deal that is hard to ignore. How does an Eee Pad Transformer from Asus for only $100 bucks more than the price of the Amazon Kindle Fire sound? Apparently, in anticipation for the hot demand of the Transformer Prime, Best Buy has dropped the price of its predecessor down to a svelt $300 bucks. Considering this tablet was one of the hottest devices on the market just a couple of months ago, that seems to be an attractive price drop. There's no indication how long this deal will last. Sound off in the forums if you plan on nabbing this great deal.

Source: TransformerForums via PhoneArena and BestBuy

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Wow that is really quite an attractive price. I love that there are finally so many good tablet options at a range of prices.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
WOW! :eek: I am shocked, but delighted to see what I expected to happen to the higher end tablets happening before Christmas! WOO HOO! :D Come on Toshiba Thrive! Come on down! :D

Makinnard

Nov 28, 2011
i would spend $364 to buy my TF to get itcheaper a weeklater. and mine has some stupid bug that keeps rebooting my tablet so i had to send it to ASUS down in texas...:(

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So here is my quandary...last week Best Buy had the 16Gb Transformer for $399 and MicroCenter had the 32Gb for the same price. I got Best Buy to price match and picked up the 32Gb model for $399 and love the tablet. Now, do I take it back and exchange it for the 16Gb version? That's $100 back in my pocket...do I want until the Prime comes out and see if they do something like that to the 32Gb version price? What to do??

Critter918

Dec 7, 2011
Well it is still $500. online when I looked at BestBuy.com I would buy another if I could find one for 300. Where is the BestBuy that has one for 300?

Critter918

Dec 7, 2011
Well it is still $500. online when I looked at BestBuy.com I would buy another if I could find one for 300. Where is the BestBuy that has one for 300?​

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
That depends Peter, do you want to return the one you've got with more memory and get the other one for a $100 savings? Or is it working nicely, and you really feel that you did as good as you can for the moment and that having it NOW is more important then if you returned it, got the 16GB version and then waited to see if they do a drop on the 32 GB version? I think it's a trade off, the higher cost in exchange for actually having the extra storage on it in your hands now. Rather then having to wait and just hope they will drop the prices on the same model you're enjoying now, you could just keep it and continue enjoying it. I am sure prices will drop, but you'd have to go without it for some time, and use the 16GB version. With no guarantee that the 32GB version's pricing will drop within the return period on the 16 GB version you'd potentially exchange the one you have now for.

Boy that was a handful and HEADFUL to type out. Hope it made sense. ;) I think if it was me I'd probably keep the one you got now that they Price Matched for. That's my two cents, just to save yourself the frustration of going through the monkeyshines of returning, & repurchasing. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So here is my quandary...last week Best Buy had the 16Gb Transformer for $399 and MicroCenter had the 32Gb for the same price. I got Best Buy to price match and picked up the 32Gb model for $399 and love the tablet. Now, do I take it back and exchange it for the 16Gb version? That's $100 back in my pocket...do I want until the Prime comes out and see if they do something like that to the 32Gb version price? What to do??

Save the money and go for less memory. You have several tablets and I don't know for sure but I suspect you aren't using that much of the 32GB to warrant it. I also suspect that you have a collection of SD cards. If you don't now you have $100 to start one then you can move your media from device to device easily :D

JP

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I know, that is the quandary. I know I don't need the space, doesn't mean I don't want it. As far as the other devices, I have a 10-yr old, and 5 teenagers (5 girls, 1 boy), any electronic that gets put down gets picked right back up by one of them.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I know, that is the quandary. I know I don't need the space, doesn't mean I don't want it. As far as the other devices, I have a 10-yr old, and 5 teenagers (5 girls, 1 boy), any electronic that gets put down gets picked right back up by one of them.

All the more reason to save the $100, you can buy another device with the savings. More for everyone :)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am also wondering what the pricing will do once the Prime hits, does it drop even more?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That's a good point too. I guess that depends on how long you have to wait. Of course you could always be waiting for the next great thing if you take it to the extreme but it doesn't look like you have that problem. In this case if it is not specifically a gift or tied to some other time constraint I would say wait. These days prices are doing nothing but going down. I'm pretty sure there will be some good pre and post Christmas discounts.

On the other hand if you need/want it sooner than later I still think the $100 savings is the way to go. Of course if this was an easy decision you wouldn't be here asking :D

I would really like a new tablet but I'm doing my best to sit on my hands and see what's around the corner. Right now the specs are going up and the prices coming down so quickly it is really exciting. That should stabilize after the holidays and CES. By then there should be a few new tablets with ICS and some ICS updates and ROMs for the older ones. I think at that point it will be a lot easier to evaluate bang for buck.

JP

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I have a feeling the prices will drop vendor-wide once the Quad Core CPU's start hitting the market. Perhaps JP is right though, that you'd be better off returning the 32GB one since you do have other tablets to play around with and getting the cheaper 16GB one Peter. $100 is nothing to sneeze that to be sure. ;)

I've thought about it more and I think that might be the best course of action in this case. Pocket the extra cash, repurchase and bide your time until prices come down further. When exactly is the CES? I have a feeling a lot of tablet's will be dropping in price around the time that CES happens, you know?