ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Launch Day

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
pOjYM.jpg

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101 has launched in Taiwan today.

The new Android Honeycomb tablet comes with a dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 1280x800 IPS 10" display, and 16GB or 32GB of internal storage. A keyboard dock that extends the standard battery life from 8 hours to 16 hours is optional. Pre-orders have now begun at multiple retailers. 3G capable versions will be announced at a later date, but major Taiwanese mobile carriers are on-board as partners. Various shopping sites now seem to indicate first shipments for the end of April.

Including standard a one-year worldwide standard ASUS warranty, the pricing is as follows, and the nice keyboard attachment does not come cheap:
16GB internal memory - $14900TWD (~$500USD)
32GB internal memory - $16900TWD (~$575USD)
Keyboard dock - $3600TWD (~$125USD)

Source
mobile01
HKEPC discussion
Image from ASUS Club Facebook

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
1gig seems to be a little over kill along with the 125 usd keyboard. Better have built in tech for that price.
Other than that, another success from asus it looks. Company's beginning to realize this android operating system has potential.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
1GiB RAM seems to be standard for all Honeycomb tablets.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Those are MSRP and I sure they can knock off $50 to $100 off the sticker to almost near cost profit margins. 1GB is not Standard. 2GB is standard, 4GB is norm. 3GB is half way.

Tablet Memory
256MB = range can be low 50MB to 154MB free tested results from Gome, Maylong, Craig, Nextbook, Archos, Coby, Pandigital,
512MB = range can be low 90MB to 269MB free eLocity
1024MB = range can be low 200MB to 500/600MB free

As for NAND it's a shame ASUS didn't opt for SDXC 64GB and up-to 2TB option with exFAT. External SDHC max out at 32GB

Last edited:

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
If this would be sold at $400 it would be a great tablet in my mind.

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
1GiB RAM seems to be standard for all Honeycomb tablets.

1GB is not Standard. 2GB is standard, 4GB is norm. 3GB is half way.

Tablet Memory
256MB = range can be low 50MB to 154MB free tested results from Gome, Maylong, Craig, Nextbook, , Coby, Pandigital,
512MB = range can be low 90MB to 269MB free eLocity
1024MB = range can be low 200MB to 500/600MB free

I don't understand this response by tipstir. Please educate me. :)

1) Name a single Honeycomb tablet, announced or released, that has more than 1GB RAM in it please. I don't understand how you can possibly claim that 2GB is standard and 4GB is normal based on me not being aware of a single Honeycomb tablet, announced or released, that has more than 1GB/GiB RAM in it. (Are they really having to measure RAM in GiB now? I hate HDD companies! Grrrr! The world should win class action after class action lawsuit for intentional false advertising. Grrrr...)
2) I thought it was common knowledge that large amounts of "free memory" is worthless in Android and that "ideal" was ~100MB (+/- 25%) free at any given time, not more and not less. If you have less, then if you surprise Android with an app that it doesn't already have in memory, then it's available (and you can do this "a few" times, based on your memory settings). If you have more, then you'd have to surprise it many times over in order to actually make that free memory become useful (how often do you open up more than 4 apps all of a sudden in a way that Android doesn't have them in memory?). Am I misunderstanding something? I can't possibly think of a scenario in Android where I want to have 500MB free.

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
If this would be sold at $400 it would be a great tablet in my mind.

I'll give them $100 for having the balls to do the docking thing that they're doing and being the first one to do it well (assuming they do it well). The next one, though, needs to be cheaper. (P.S. Yes, I realize the Atrix kinda does this, but it is a far cry from being claimed at "doing it well" based on my limited experience with it.)

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I would have thought that $500 was a really good price for a high end tablet. The docking station at $125 is very reasonable when you compare it to the Atrix's dock.

$575 for 32gb is also priced below ipad2 (albeit only $24)

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Well as for the ram, I'm just goen by how gingerbread reacts to 2 gigs of ram(having it installed as x86 os on my laptop as a 3rd operating system.)
2gigs can't possibly be standard. I havnt even held or seen a 2gig ramd tablet

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

tyy10002

Nov 13, 2010
I thought that the base model is starting at $399. they may reduce the price later.. if it is $399 + $125 for the dock. it is a very good deal. $525 for a netbook/tablet -> netablet..

any words when will we see it in US?

kicker10bog

Mar 25, 2011
This is the tablet I want but I think I'll hold off on the docking station and see how it is wothoutcit first. But it does have some wxtreq ports and doubles battery life and that might make it worth $125. I'll probably end up getting it too eventually.

Sent from my DROID 2 using the AndroidTablets.net app

Cindigirl

Mar 7, 2011
When will it be sold in the USA it seems both BestBuy and Amazon were showing it for a while but neither site has it for sale or a date of sale yet? Anyone know?

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
When will it be sold in the USA it seems both BestBuy and Amazon were showing it for a while but neither site has it for sale or a date of sale yet? Anyone know?

It goes on sale April 26th at the following retailers:

In the United States, you can buy an ASUS EeePad Transformer at:

• Amazon
  • American TV
  • B&H
  • BestBuy.com
  • BJ's
  • Buy.com
  • Datavision
  • Fry's
  • HH Gregg
  • J&R
  • Micro Center
  • Newegg
  • OfficeMax.com
  • Office Depot
  • PC Richards
  • Sears.com
  • Staples
  • Target
  • TigerDirect
  • Walmart.com
In Canada, you can purchase an ASUS EeePad Transformer at:

• Canada Computers
  • Memory Express
  • NCIX
  • Staples CA
  • Visions

xandor

Aug 25, 2010
I got an Adam, but I'm not sure how long it's going to take for it to get upgraded to Honeycomb. But for $399, that's REAL tempting for me to buy ASUS!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
HSN got the W500 for $599.99 tonight but it's not running Android OS. MSW7 with ACER Ring on it.. Should be an very interesting weekend. 5x of $119 go get it home to use 10.1" ACER tablet.