ASUS Tablet 16 GB Brown TF101-X1 SKU: 3669574

goss

Dec 4, 2011
Hi all,

I see this tablet on sales on the Best Buy site tonight (Sunday, Dec. 04) for $300.
Asus - Tablet with 16GB Memory - Brown - TF101-X1

Is there any difference between this tablet and another ASUS Transmformer TF101?
Is there a better tablet for less money you recommend?
I really do not want to go to a smaller screen than 10.1

thx
w

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Hi all,

I see this tablet on sales on the Best Buy site tonight (Sunday, Dec. 04) for $300.
Asus - Tablet with 16GB Memory - Brown - TF101-X1

Is there any difference between this tablet and another ASUS Transmformer TF101?
Is there a better tablet for less money you recommend?
I really do not want to go to a smaller screen than 10.1

thx
w

Bought mine from Amazon for $300 and got a remanufactured dock for $89 also (shipped). Specs (from your link) are from the Asus website. It is a Transformer. I had a Gtab, which is a great tablet. Nearly all the same features as the Transformer, but the Transformer is a much better over-all tablet. Also, the Gtab has piss poor customer service and the factory support is non-existant. However, there are a ton of ROMs available for the Gtab, which makes up for the lack of factory backing. The Transformer has great support, not as many ROMs available (but the ones available are great), the newer bootloaders are locked, which makes rooting difficult (at least until recently). Asus and CyanogenMod are currently developing ICS for the Transformer (pegged for release early next year). Which makes owning a Transformer a little more exciting (for me). The Gtab devs are currently ironing out the kinks in the new HoneyComb 3.2 kernal and ROM, which is much awaited by the Gtab crowd. I sold my Gtab to my stepdad and got the Transformer and dock as an early Christmas gift.

sent from my ASUS Transformer Running Prime 2.1.0 using Tapatalk

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Nope, it's a TF. Mine is brown as well. You won't be dissappointed with the TF. I love mine.

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Ditto, you can not go wrong with an Asus Transformer. It is one of the better tablets out there, it also comes with good tech support. If your a newbie, that is a comfort to have. The other tablet worth considering is the Acer Iconia A500, which has good ergonomics almost as good as the Asus Transformer. The Transformer also comes with Polaris office suite, which is very handy app.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Ditto, you can not go wrong with an Asus Transformer. It is one of the better tablets out there, it also comes with good tech support. If your a newbie, that is a comfort to have. The other tablet worth considering is the Acer Iconia A500, which has good ergonomics almost as good as the Asus Transformer. The Transformer also comes with Polaris office suite, which is very handy app.

I really like my Transformer, although I do have to say that comparing it to the Acer Iconia A500 (which I bought for my kids), you can definitely see the "personality" of the two. The Transformer is more "business-like", while the Acer A500 is more geared towards entertainment. The Transformer comes with the Polaris office suite, which is a full app that allows you to view AND edit office documents. The Acer comes with Documents to Go, but that is the free starter app, so you can view but not edit documents. To be able to create office documents, you would need to purchase the Documents to Go full package (which I luckily got as a free Amazon App of the Day). Documents to Go also can access Google Docs documents, while Polaris cannot. The Acer also comes with a few Gameloft games (the full versions) like Lets Golf and Need for Speed Shift. From an app standpoint, you can pretty much make both equal by downloading apps from the Market or the Amazon app store.

When I purchased the Transformer on Black Friday, it was priced at $250. When I purchased the Acer A500's on Cyber Monday, they were $230. For myself, if I had to do it again, at the prices I paid, I would still opt for the Transformer over the A500. However, if I compare the price I paid for the Acer A500 ($230) and the price the Transformer sells for now ($299), I might opt for the A500 and save the $70.

clarence82

Dec 13, 2011
Does this Best Buy "X1" model have a USB port in the tablet itself (sans keyboard) ?

Has anyone had the charging problems with the X1 model that I've read about?

ezmobee

Dec 12, 2011
I have an "X1" from black friday. It's a regular TF101. Nothing special or missing from it.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I honestly believe they offer the same tablet with a different model number so they don't have to make refunds to customers that recently bought the Transformer at a higher price. If this is true it's a little sleazy of BestBuy.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

clarence82

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks.

Have any TF101 owners had any problems with the charger as I've read? I have one on the way and the reviews are great, except for the power problems I occasionally read about.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
I haven't had a power/charger problem with mine. In fact, my TF has been flawless so far. You are going to really like the TF.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I got the same Transformer and I have not had any problems with the charger at all.

clarence82

Dec 13, 2011
I have read that the charger cord is short. I can deal with that but can't deal with one that is finicky.

I received my order last night but did not open the box as the return address was BestBuy.com, Returns Department in Findlay, OH. Such makes me think they sent me a refurbished unit, not the new one I had paid for.

I saw a couple of posts from people who received supposedly new items from that address but not too many. Called BB support and surprisingly the rep had the same inclination and told me I can just bring it to a local store and exchange for a new one there. Won't be able to get there until Friday but I'm skeptical of how successful that will be at the store, even with the confirmation number he gave me.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Shouldn't be a problem on the exchange as long and they have the tab in stock, so just check online before you go. As far as the short cord, yep, it is and I hate that, but it is no finicky at all for me.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I have read that the charger cord is short. I can deal with that but can't deal with one that is finicky.

I received my order last night but did not open the box as the return address was BestBuy.com, Returns Department in Findlay, OH. Such makes me think they sent me a refurbished unit, not the new one I had paid for.

I saw a couple of posts from people who received supposedly new items from that address but not too many. Called BB support and surprisingly the rep had the same inclination and told me I can just bring it to a local store and exchange for a new one there. Won't be able to get there until Friday but I'm skeptical of how successful that will be at the store, even with the confirmation number he gave me.

Might not necessarily be a refurb, could be a return that they shipped out because they ran out of stock. That said, this could potentially be a problem for Best Buy, depending on your state's laws. For most states, retailers cannot sell an "open box" item as new without disclosing that it is an open box item. This is why lots of stores (especially electronics stores which typically have a higher rate of returns) will slap an open box sticker on a returned item and mark it down (how much cheaper depends on how "like new" it is, such as has all the parts, accessories, etc.). Here is how you can tell if the item they shipped you is brand new, or an open box/return/refurb. If it is a factory refurbished item, it is typically packed in a white box and not retail packaging. The Asus Transformer (the 16 GB X1 model) comes in a brown box (sides and box bottom) and the cover has both brown and gold. Also, this is the big indicator whether you got a return/open box or brand new. On either side of the box, there will be a black security sticker that has "Check Contents If Security Seal Is Broken" in white letters. If it is intact, then you got a new item.

What you could do, is bring the sealed shipping box to the store, and open it at the returns counter. Make sure they understand what your intentions are (if you were not sent a new one, you want to exchange it for a new one). That way, if they did in fact send you a returned item, the store can't dispute that and say that you opened the item.

Last edited: