AT&T and 3G

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
Here is my experience with the S7:
I have no problems getting HSDPA to work where I live. I just put the SIM in, added my APN info, rebooted the tablet, and it worked.

However, I cannot get any AT&T service to work outside of the area where I normally live. Basically, if it's a physical area that is not associated with the 607 area code (the area code associated with my AT&T account), I get bars shown but:
No data service. Any attempt to fill in APN info fails (no errors, just doesn't actually show in the APN list after I save)
No phone service. Attempting to make a call hangs the tablet - gotta yank the battery
Attempting to do a provider search results in a timeout - This particular function gives me three results (AT&T 2G, AT&T 3G, and T-Mobile 2G) when I have no SIM installed

Attempting to view radio logs using adb logcat or Android System Info shows a bunch of "Wrong network type: 0" errors. Unfortunately, while I did save a log of the tablet "working" at home, I saved it on a different machine.

Using this AT&T SIM works fine when inserted into my AT&T Tilt 2 - I have a nice solid HSDPA signal here where I'm sitting in New Jersey, same for my business trip to Long Island last month.

peeter111

Nov 24, 2010
I'm in Los Angeles using the SIM card from my iphone 3GS with service set to AUTO and the APN settings found here and have only seen the 'H' icon both from home and work which are 60 miles apart.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Has anyone connected using a AT&T Go SIM? I was reading that they are locked to the phone they came with and you need to go to the ATT store to get them unlocked. I have put my SIM in my S7 and get nothing, doesn't even see it. I even did the steps given here and nada.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
UPDATE: Went to the AT&T store and they informed me that Go SIMS are locked so you cannot change them to a unlocked phone. The guy at the store transfered the acct to a regular SIM for no charge and it is a 3G SIM. Got home and it worked without any changes needed for the Huawei.

So, just say NO to TMOBILE!!!! You have a choice.... :)

niteowl

Jan 15, 2011
Hi, I'm a noob when it comes to Android, but I recently got this amazing tablet and I was wondering, how can I make my AT&T 3G sim card to work here? I have already installed the sim card, did the APN settings and stuff mentioned on this site, but still nothing happened.

The unit sometimes also detects the card, and sometimes it doesn't.

Do I need to "root" the unit first before I can make it function?

I have already had this unit exchange for the 3rd time now and still, it's the same thing.

It would be a shame to just return the unit and forget about it because I really like it.

I hope someone here can help me.

Thanks in advance and more power.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I'm almost sure that the sim cards for att go phones only get locked if you activate it in the go phone. And it was locked for 6 months or so. You can activate them in any unlocked phone. Someome please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my Ideos S7

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
You are completly correct. The go phone sims need to be swapped at att, it is free.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

EddieS7

Dec 3, 2010
I finally got arount to testing using wcdma. I do get 3G now, but as some one else posted, it does not persist on power off. You have to do the set up all over agian if you power off or completely drain the battery.

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
Hi, I'm a noob when it comes to Android, but I recently got this amazing tablet and I was wondering, how can I make my AT&T 3G sim card to work here? I have already installed the sim card, did the APN settings and stuff mentioned on this site, but still nothing happened.

The unit sometimes also detects the card, and sometimes it doesn't.

Do I need to "root" the unit first before I can make it function?

I have already had this unit exchange for the 3rd time now and still, it's the same thing.

It would be a shame to just return the unit and forget about it because I really like it.

I hope someone here can help me.

Thanks in advance and more power.
Details? By any chance, if yours is a contract voice and data SIM, are you physically in the area associated with the account's phone number?

I don't have my S7 with me, but within the wireless settings there is a "search for networks" or "choose network" function or something like that - What do you see when you run this?

In my case, if I'm in my "home" area, I see it list AT&T 2G, AT&T 3G, and T-Mobile 2G.
If I'm outside of my area, it times out.
If I have no SIM installed, it shows AT&T 2G/3G and T-Mo 2G, regardless of location.

If it gives you a timeout error you might have a problem similar to mine where the device only works in some sort of "home" area associated with your account. (Even though all AT&T contract plans are now nationwide and such a SIM works perfectly in other phones.) I'm wondering if it's a firmware bug.