auto screen rotation not working after recent update!

nicwidd

Jun 2, 2011
After the update last week, my acer iconia 500 is not auto rotating the screen. the screen lock button is in the off position. can anyone help? i generally am always flipping from portrait to landscape and back again. this is so frustrating. If an app only runs in one direction it will flip at that time.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Turn your Tab OFF (not sleep) then toggle the Rotation Lock several times then reboot.

nicwidd

Jun 2, 2011
I've tried that a few times and it is still not auto rotating. Any other ideas?

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Have you tried the pin hole reset?

Several have reported this has taken care of this problem.

nicwidd

Jun 2, 2011
I have pin hole reset too. No success. When I do toggle the rotation lock button while tab is powered on, it does register the action with a pop up of a lock. However, screen does not auto rotate. Very frustrating

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
I am sorry! I have no other suggestions, possibly someone else will pop in and be of more help.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I have pin hole reset too. No success. When I do toggle the rotation lock button while tab is powered on, it does register the action with a pop up of a lock. However, screen does not auto rotate. Very frustrating

This is the best information I found for the problem. If any of this doesn't help you, maybe your best bet is to wait for Acer to come out with a fix. Who knows how long that will take. So many people are having this problem in all forums and I wonder why some solutions help some people but others, like you, nothing seems to work. Doesn't make much sense to me. Anyway, maybe you saw this in your searches, but if not, it might help. Good luck.

Possible Relief for Several A500 ICS Related Symptoms/Problems - Android Forums

kpnuts

May 15, 2012
Have you tried the pin hole reset?

Several have reported this has taken care of this problem.

I upgraded several weeks ago with no problems today the display stopped rotating.

the reset fixed it staight away.

is this a bug with the upgrade ...... I'm new to android software.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
There is a bug in the Acer a500 ICS build that affect initialization of the MPU-3050 sensor device. I have written about that here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...orum/38621-ice-cream-sandwich-bug-a500-4.html. Look for the post starting with "Breakthrough!"

If you see this again, please check your logs for the MLUpdateData error (code 26) messages. You can install aLogcat to easily do that if you are not familiar with the logs. Please post your observations here. Thanks.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
This is the best information I found for the problem. If any of this doesn't help you, maybe your best bet is to wait for Acer to come out with a fix. Who knows how long that will take. So many people are having this problem in all forums and I wonder why some solutions help some people but others, like you, nothing seems to work. Doesn't make much sense to me. Anyway, maybe you saw this in your searches, but if not, it might help. Good luck.

Possible Relief for Several A500 ICS Related Symptoms/Problems - Android Forums
You forgot another category - those who don't have problems.

All I can say is that I turned the SCREEN LOCK off before I did the update.

idroids

May 17, 2012

1-Install free AutoRotate Switch app.

2-Click on the app to switch ON auto-rotate.

3-Turn the A500 off.

4-Turn the A500 on.

5-Auto-rotation works perfectly!

:)

After the update last week, my acer iconia 500 is not auto rotating the screen. the screen lock button is in the off position. can anyone help? i generally am always flipping from portrait to landscape and back again. this is so frustrating. If an app only runs in one direction it will flip at that time.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012

1-Install free AutoRotate Switch app.

2-Click on the app to switch ON auto-rotate.

3-Turn the A500 off.

4-Turn the A500 on.

5-Auto-rotation works perfectly!

:)
This does nothing more than your screen orientation lock switch does. It would only be useful if your orientation lock switch were physically broken, so you could possibly use it to test for that condition, but you do not need an app on the a500 to do this if your hardware is intact.

I have tested this app, and observed that it apparently uses the OrientationListener or OrietationEventListener class to disable and reenable events from the sensor. It cannot resolve any a500 ICS related screen rotation problems unless caused by a broken switch.

This appears to be an advertisement by the app developer.