Bad battery performance Onda v711 and jellybean

DRFP

Jan 16, 2013
Found this as the size so I think as long as the battery can fit within this you can order a battery that may work for the V711
4.3MM*宽 56MM*长 142MM

found this one

http://www.***************/item/who...25-battery-3-7V-3500MA-4056125/572559341.html

13.39 shipped to USA
Place of Origin:Guangdong China (Mainland) is_customized:Yes Type:Li-polymer Brand Name:aodal Nominal Capacity:3300MA Model Number:0456125 Size:4MM*56MM*125MM charge voltage:4.2V Nominal Voltage:3.7V

Last edited:

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
**Update**

I finally received the replacement/upgrade battery.

I excitedly opened the V711 and de-soldered the old battery and removed it. It was glued down inside and I damaged the battery pulling it out, bending it as a I pulled on it. It got really hot and I put it in a metal bowl in the middle of my back yard just in case it caught on fire. It didn't.

Ok, so old battery out time for the new to go in.

I soldered the battery in, closed the case and...nothing. I put it on the charger and I don't even get the blue charge light. So I opened it back up again to double check all the connections. Everything is perfect and as it should be. Still nothing, no power at all.

So, I destroyed the old battery taking it out. The new battery is dead on arrival. And the worst part, I cracked the screen. I was rushing and tried to pry up a corner of the screen and broke the glass. Took a little chunk out and the cracks spread across the screen as I had to continue taking it back apart. :(

Well this was very upsetting. I got used to the short battery life and almost didn't bother replacing it when the battery finally showed up. Really too bad because I really liked this little tablet a lot.

Now I'm looking for a replacement. I'm thinking of going to a 8" like the V812, but I want something with a better battery and bluetooth would be nice too. I even considered the V972, but it's a little bigger than I want for reading, still no bluetooth, and a crappy Onda battery. I hear people get 4-5 hours on it. Looked at the CHUWI v99 but they don't have a 8" version that I see, and they seem like a pretty small company.

Any suggestions?

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
**More updates**

OK I jumped to some conclusions. The new battery appears fine when checked with a voltmeter. I was at work and thinking about it, and why the blue charge light wasn't coming on. Even with a bad battery, it should still try to charge.

I got home and checked the battery and it is showing 4.0volts. Looking more closely and in better light, I see that I managed to break the cable going to the LCD screen. Just partially, but obviously enough to make it not work.

I found replacement parts pretty easily at ownta.com I'll need a new glass screen and a new LCD screen (for the new cable) Looking at $80 for the two items with free shipping. It's cheaper than a new tab so I'm thinking of doing the repair.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'll give you an A for effort. I would have tossed it in file 13 by now. ;)

DRFP

Jan 16, 2013
**More updates**

OK I jumped to some conclusions. The new battery appears fine when checked with a voltmeter. I was at work and thinking about it, and why the blue charge light wasn't coming on. Even with a bad battery, it should still try to charge.

I got home and checked the battery and it is showing 4.0volts. Looking more closely and in better light, I see that I managed to break the cable going to the LCD screen. Just partially, but obviously enough to make it not work.

I found replacement parts pretty easily at ownta.com I'll need a new glass screen and a new LCD screen (for the new cable) Looking at $80 for the two items with free shipping. It's cheaper than a new tab so I'm thinking of doing the repair.

its only 40 dollars cheaper and no instillation headaches I would buy another tablet at 119 plus shipping

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
I thought the same way. But then my wife got involved, and now I'm doing the repair instead. Plus she bought me the tablet for Christmas and I managed to break it in just over a month, so I feel obligated to try.

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
I did it!

I finally got my new touchscreen and lcd screen from alibaba last week. It was delayed a couple of weeks just because of the Chinese New Year, but they arrived soon after.

I had already installed the new battery and now the screens too. It works great now!

I have only started trying to measure the battery life, but the very first time I charged it and drained it, the battery lasted right around 5 hours doing constant video playback. Much better than the 3 hours with the original battery.

Actually, I ran out of time and went to bed after the second movie finished and had to start back up in the morning, so there was about 8hrs of standby in there too.

So if your battery is dead, try the one linked previously. If your battery is just weak, well after the nightmare I went through, I can't recommend it. You'd be better off getting a cheap external battery instead. Plus you can use the external battery for other things like a cell phone or camera too. For some reason the first time I opened the v711 was really easy and made me think nothing of it. But after breaking the screen and spending another chunk of cash, I would have rather just had a weaker battery.

the_joat

Feb 27, 2013
I did it!

I finally got my new touchscreen and lcd screen from alibaba last week. It was delayed a couple of weeks just because of the Chinese New Year, but they arrived soon after.

I had already installed the new battery and now the screens too. It works great now!

Can you tell me or give a link to the procedure for replacing the screens?