Basic Driver Installation for Windows PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I normally do not provide such elemental assistance because it is expected that each and every user that wishes to root their device knows the absolute basics, which this is, as there are many websites out there that already cover the process.

This has been tested and found to be working correctly on Windows 7 and Windows XP. To get it working on Windows XP required me to edit android_winUSB.inf and enter the hardware information for the 9742. Since I have no other Coby tablets I cannot guarantee that the .INF file will work with every Generation 3 tablet if using Windows XP.

If you want your tablet to be recognized by the PC so you can root it
  1. Download the drivers from here and unzip them to a directory.
  2. Turn on USB Debugging on the tablet. This is mandatory.
  3. Connect the tablet to the computer.
  4. Open up Device Manager and look for "Android" or "Android 1.0" in Other Devices.
  5. Right click the Android Device in Other Devices and select "Update Driver Software".
The following steps will differ slightly, depending on whether you are using Windows XP or Windows Vista/Windows 7.

If running Windows XP
  1. When the Hardware Update Wizard appears, select whichever option you wish and select "Next".
  2. Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and select "Next".
  3. Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." and select "Next".
  4. Select "Show All Devices" and select "Next".
  5. Select "Have Disk".
  6. On the popup that appears, select the .INF file for the drivers and select "Open".
  7. There should be a list of drivers available. Select your chosen driver and select "OK".
  8. Windows may throw up a warning about the driver not being compatible. Select OK anyway.
If running Windows Vista/Windows 7
  1. Select on "Browse my computer for updated software".
  2. Select "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
  3. Select "Show All Devices" and select "Next".
  4. Select "Have Disk".
  5. On the popup that appears, select the .INF file for the drivers and select "Open".
  6. There should be a list of drivers available. Select your chosen driver and select "OK".
  7. Windows may throw up a warning about the driver not being compatible. Select OK anyway.
The driver will install and you will know if it's properly installed because the device category will change from "Other Devices" to "Android Phone". In addition the device itself will change its name from "Android" or "Android 1.0" to the name of the driver you selected. For Windows XP it is necessary to reboot before the new driver becomes operative and a prompt will appear on the screen telling you to do so. On Windows 7 the driver becomes active immediately.

If the Windows XP drivers do not work properly or refuse to install, follow the procedure RedDeer provides here to get a working set of drivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.