best ebook, comic, pdf reader apps?

twees

Jul 30, 2010
i would ideally love an app that would read both ebooks (multiple formats) and pdf's but i have calibre so conversion won't be an issue...i'd just like tap to turn page and adjustable font size. as far as the comic book reader...same thing, tap to turn and maybe a pinch to zoom...any suggestions. and the freer the better :)

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
there are a lot of ebook readers in the market place and im afraid your just gonna have to test them out to see which one you like the most. but one that has a lot of what your looking for is called "txtr ebook reader and store" it says it can also read pdf's if you try it out let us know how it is?

jelinidas

Aug 4, 2010
I also would love a good reader especially for pdf files. I found a source for current magazines to download, but cant find a good reader.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I also would love a good reader especially for pdf files. I found a source for current magazines to download, but cant find a good reader.

did you try the pdf reader offered in "txtr ebook reader and store"

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Repligo reader is probably the best PDF on the market, and well worth the money. It's the fastest and most stable PDF reader on Android.

I bought a copy.

For ebooks, a combination of Aldiko and iReader is best. Wordplayer syncs with Calibre, but it's rather clunky.

zephaman

Aug 7, 2010
aldiko is the best ebook reader i've come across the library setting is great and very easy to use and it scrolls from chapter to chapter great

rkathey

Aug 9, 2010
I'm a techie and RPG enthusiast. (history for anyone interested) I have a bookshelf full of technical manuals and RPG books and have recently started buying only pdfs. The normal eBook readers don't do well with PDFs so I would like a nice portable reader that has a large enough screen for my middle-aged eyes. I'm a Google fan, own an Android phone, and have decided to look into Android tablets for the reader.

So, aside from the software, doesn't anyone have an opinion on the best hardware? I'd also like the ability to review and edit blog posts. I'm looking for something in the $200-300 range. As helpful as good hardware would be vendors to stay away from.

On top of that, what stores in the USA have a good selection of tablets to try out?

twees

Jul 30, 2010
Aldiko and the freedownload from Calibres website to convert = awesome!

kennobi

Dec 11, 2010
I'm a techie and RPG enthusiast. (history for anyone interested) I have a bookshelf full of technical manuals and RPG books and have recently started buying only pdfs. The normal eBook readers don't do well with PDFs so I would like a nice portable reader that has a large enough screen for my middle-aged eyes. I'm a Google fan, own an Android phone, and have decided to look into Android tablets for the reader.

So, aside from the software, doesn't anyone have an opinion on the best hardware? I'd also like the ability to review and edit blog posts. I'm looking for something in the $200-300 range. As helpful as good hardware would be vendors to stay away from.

On top of that, what stores in the USA have a good selection of tablets to try out?

There is a new tablet 7" wopad available. Its the only china tablet which comes with the CAPACITIVE screen for now or maybe you can get the ARCHOS which has quite a good review. You can get it from merimobiles or shenit. (hope this post are not against the rules). Just order the wopad, will update you the review status once I receive it if you need.

anhaux

Dec 15, 2010
I found that an app called Ireader is a great free alternative, It reads txt and the old palm pdb format , It has nice page turning effects and a night setting (white letters on a black background) I think it supports html, I just convert my books using calibre (another free program for your PC) You can customize the background and font colors adjust font sizes. If it read EPUB this thing would be perfect. I am still looking for a PDF viewer for all my technical books. Havent found 1 i like yet still trying a number of other no opinions on them yet. Notably, fbreader,wattpad,zthmoonreader,coolreader,droid comic viewer. I like fbreader on other devices but i have a hacked pandigital novel and i am unable to get access to the top menu bar. hope this is useful, oh and if you want ebooks there is a site called sffebooks which is good.