best way to max. extending the battery for the NC

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I have no idea other than turning off wifi of a way to max. my battery ..

Any suggestions..???

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
keep screen brightness down
I've found this really keeps the juice flowing. I mean the backlight on this thing could light up a football stadium. During the day I go 50-60% brightness, and in the dark, it's like 15-20%. I sometimes go 3 days between charges (10_ hours of active use ore more, and standby most of the time)

tigersgt

Dec 9, 2010
I've found this really keeps the juice flowing. I mean the backlight on this thing could light up a football stadium. During the day I go 50-60% brightness, and in the dark, it's like 15-20%. I sometimes go 3 days between charges (10_ hours of active use ore more, and standby most of the time)

I agree. I set my brightness as 10% and it lasted 3 days with 10 hours of use. I also have the Cell Standby Service removed.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
- try setcpu ( see thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/5119-setcpu-settings-nookcolor.html )
- keep screen brightness down
- you can try disabling telephony service - controversy exists if this is actually useful or not ( [SCRIPT] Remove Cell Standby Service (Super Battery Life!) - xda-developers )
Thanks for acknowledging the controversy. I HATE superstitious reasoning. I DO IT all the time (knock on wood), but I hate it. :p

Oh btw, once I saw that turning off the services "helped" I immediately followed suit. Call me a lemming.

-Matt

atinsley

Jan 10, 2011
After taking my nook to work yesterday I checked the battery stats. I had about 70% battery left. Of the 30% drained, it said 75% was used by the cell standby service. I haven't disabled it yet but I find it hard to believe that's not just a mistake. Can anyone shed a light on this?

Sent from my Droid

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
After taking my nook to work yesterday I checked the battery stats. I had about 70% battery left. Of the 30% drained, it said 75% was used by the cell standby service. I haven't disabled it yet but I find it hard to believe that's not just a mistake. Can anyone shed a light on this?

Sent from my Droid

Seems about right. While the NC is asleep, phone idle is most used app.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
The best explanation I've heard is that it's a catch-all state that includes a number of conditions, including radio state. I guess I'm convinced by the argument that turning off (or removing) phone and mms has no impact on battery life: Battery life analysis: myths and reality - xda-developers. But the good news is--superstitious or not--there's plenty of room for the believers and the skeptics!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, is this even physically possible: rooted my new Nook last night, and for fun, put it in standby (or sleep or whatever) at midnight. Battery reading at 91%.

Woke up this morning, battery reading at 91%.

Came home from work, still 91%.

Admittedly, it hasn't been used in that time. But I couldn't believe my eyes. I even installed a battery widget as a second opinion, but same result.

Just doesn't seem possible...

-Matt