Black PDN Modded Firmware - Frenzee

GeniusGeeko

Jan 16, 2011
-----Jan 13, 2011
Frenzee v.2
*Based off Open Platform Kit
*Working Market "Buggy"
*Google Apps (Gmail, Google Talk, Google Maps)
*Other Useful Applications (Youtube)
Changes
*Added apps (Astro File Manager, BusyBox)
*Cleaned up apps
*Fixed Launcher, now rotates home screen

Download Link:polaris_update.dat
________________________________________________________________________________

Install Instructions
1. Download Required Files
Lastest Firmware (located above)
Android SDK: Android SDK | Android Developers
2. Install SDK (I installed mine "C:/sdk")
3. Place the "Polaris_update.dat" file on the sd ard's directory.
4. When the Novel is off, insert sdcard and hold the volume + button w/ power button until boot text appears.
5. Verify that it says "Updating Firmware to Version: Black Pandigital Novel Frenzee v0.2 Firmware"
6. After it is booted it says which application you want to start, select either one it doesn't really matter.
7. The Android robot logo should pop up and this next part can be a little tricky.
Touch the top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left corners of the application.
8. The home screen should be up now, and now open up the market or another google app.
9. It will ask you to sign in/create an account.
10. Enjoy your modded firmware!

________________________________________________________________________________

-----Jan 12, 2011
Frenzee v.1
*Based off Open Platform Kit
*Working Market "Buggy"
*Google Apps (Gmail, Google Talk, Google Maps)
*Other Useful Applications (Youtube)

Download Link:polaris_update.dat

More Information
This was tested on, "Windows 7 x64" Please test on other sources.
If needed I will make a linux tutorial.

Please request new features you would like to see in my custom firmwares.

Last edited:

magemasher80

Jan 16, 2011
Thank you very much it works very well. I do have one request though. When I do use this for my ereading (comics and such) the tool bar at the bottom cuts off well, the bottom of the page. I know why it is there but is it possible to maybe find a way to hide it, or something?

GeniusGeeko

Jan 16, 2011
Thank you very much it works very well. I do have one request though. When I do use this for my ereading (comics and such) the tool bar at the bottom cuts off well, the bottom of the page. I know why it is there but is it possible to maybe find a way to hide it, or something?

yea I'm working on it, been messing with a bunch of stuff.

WiredAnim

Dec 22, 2010
I'm really curious about this build and want to give it a try but I can't get past the google sign in screen that shows the sliding keyboard for the G1. I have ran the the open platform and liked it a lot but had the same issue mentioned above with the nav bar cutting everything off. If you can get the figured out that would be amazing. Any assistance with the sign on issue would be awesome.

bluefox83

Jan 23, 2011
First time poster here...Just wondering if I really must mod my Novel in order to install the pandora app. If there's some voodoo magic trick I can do to get around the fact that whenever I go to pandora.com or the android market website with my novel is says that the address is not found...this seems to me to be something we should be able to fix by changing some config files someplace...

Feb 2, 2011
One: why waste time downloading android SDK? no reason what so ever for it..

Two: whats this instruction for? it does not seem to do anything at all? :

"7. The Android robot logo should pop up and this next part can be a little tricky.
Touch the top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left corners of the application."

Three: why does it ask to open slide keyboard?

.. suppose until issue is resolved, other mod will be used..

Last edited:

kendallb

Nov 23, 2011
I'm really curious about this build and want to give it a try but I can't get past the google sign in screen that shows the sliding keyboard for the G1. I have ran the the open platform and liked it a lot but had the same issue mentioned above with the nav bar cutting everything off. If you can get the figured out that would be amazing. Any assistance with the sign on issue would be awesome.

See step 7.

"7. The Android robot logo should pop up and this next part can be a little tricky."

You have to touch all 4 corners of the black part, This is during the Finger clicking the Android logo.

Paulbukowski

Nov 28, 2011
Hello, I have a black PanDigital Novel and have downloaded the .dat file. I put it on the sd card root and held the volume and power button but it never says updating firmware. It quickly flashes something about boot count 0 and goes black.
Would appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks

Tirell

Nov 29, 2011
Hi, Kendall...
I attempted to touch the four corners of the black part of the app while the finger was clicking on it, and it did not work. I ended up using ADB to uninstall the SetupWizard.apk, and then I was able to use my PDN without having to go through the setup. But now I have another problem. I am not able to sign onto my Google account at all using any of the Google Apps.

shapeless

Dec 2, 2011
I followed everything to a "T" and now the device won't even turn on. Did your handy little fix just wreck my device?

shapeless

Dec 2, 2011
Hello, I have a black PanDigital Novel and have downloaded the .dat file. I put it on the sd card root and held the volume and power button but it never says updating firmware. It quickly flashes something about boot count 0 and goes black.
Would appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks
I was determined to get this to work. Soon as the screenyou described comes up, I let go of the power button. It started to update. I was elated, now the thing wont turn on. This little "update" just updated me NEW e-reader to a paperweight. Count your blessings!!!

Dec 22, 2011
Hi, Kendall...
I attempted to touch the four corners of the black part of the app while the finger was clicking on it, and it did not work. I ended up using ADB to uninstall the SetupWizard.apk, and then I was able to use my PDN without having to go through the setup. But now I have another problem. I am not able to sign onto my Google account at all using any of the Google Apps.

Can you please give step by step instructions how you did this.... been trying to fix my sons for 2 days after putting in Frenzee v.2, i've tried installing other firmware over it and can't even do that... i'm usually pretty good with electronics but this stupid eReader/tablet just sucks!!

Dooode

Jan 8, 2012
I have the Canadian version of the PDN black. Two things, first, it won't upgrade with the file name polaris_update.dat. You need to rename the file to S64N_SLST_KOBO_PD_20110602.dat (of all things). Second, the tap top left, top right, bottom right and bottom left all around the little Android works beautifully. That takes you out of setup to a home screen so you don't start setup and get stuck at 'slide the keyboard'. To start, you can just plug in your USB cable to the computer you downloaded the file to, transfer the file to the root of the SD card in the reader, shut it off, reboot with volume up and power both held for five seconds, and it upgrades.
YouTube, cool reader, market, maps, = wow. Its actually a useful little tablet now. Just go to market and it will ask you to sign into your google account. Worked for me, anyway.