Black Screen

jennifersaks

Dec 22, 2015
My screen went black, but the tablet obviously turns on because I can see the back arrow and menu symbol at the bottom of the screen. I saw a youtube video re: removing the screen, unplugging the connection cable and re-attaching it, which seems to be a common problem.

A question: How can I be SURE I've turned it off when I can't see the screen? I heard the little samsung sound, but can't remember if that's when it turns ON or when it turns OFF. :) (The youtube video said to make sure it's off to avoid electric shock).

Before this happened I had a problem with the screen staying on...for instance, if I left it idle for more than just a few seconds it would switch off and I'd have to swipe it again. Is that normal? This is my first-ever tablet, and I love it, but I hadn't even had time to get acquainted with it before this black screen happened.

I hope someone can help me!
Jennifer

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Jennifer

You're darned if you do and darned if you don't. If you were already having issues with the screen what eventually happened seems like it was virtually a given. If you can see the screen.Your best option is to try a factory reset. If that doesn't work you may need to consider getting a new tablet or sending that one in for repair. Reset suggestions can be found here How Do I "Factory Reset" My Tablet? | Android Tablet Forum

jennifersaks

Dec 22, 2015
Lee, thank you for your reply! I wound up taking it to a cell phone repair place near me, and he opened it up. He said the backlight was out, and recommended, since it was still on warranty, that I either send it in for repair or get my money back from the ebay seller. I decided that's what I'm going to do, and meanwhile I went out and bought a new tablet...I got the TabA, which I know gets crummy reviews re: the screen, but I wanted the S-pen. I set it up last night and I'm very happy with it...got the 9.7" one, so it's barely smaller than my 10" Note. Hopefully, between ebay and the seller I can get my money back with no problem. The seller misrepresented the tablet to me anyway, saying it was new, and when it came the sticker said refurbished. :(

Mbobbis

Jul 17, 2016
Welcome to the forum Jennifer

You're darned if you do and darned if you don't. If you were already having issues with the screen what eventually happened seems like it was virtually a given. If you can see the screen.Your best option is to try a factory reset. If that doesn't work you may need to consider getting a new tablet or sending that one in for repair. Reset suggestions can be found here How Do I "Factory Reset" My Tablet? | Android Tablet Forum
What? You can't do a factory reset with a totally black screen as obviously you can't go to settings.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
What? You can't do a factory reset with a totally black screen as obviously you can't go to settings.
Did you read that thread? It explains how to do a factory reset if you have no screen at all. It's called a hardware factory reset not software..