Book REaders

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
Guys,

I bought this for my wife so she wouldnt waste her money on JUST an ereader.

I promised her I would have it set up and functioning for her before i gave it to her, so I'm hoping you might help me out here.

I have several readers installed Abook, Flubendo, Nook, BN,Kindle, Alkido and pdfViewer.

Unfortunately, from the way I am using them, none of the seems to be what I'm looking for, so Im assuming I must be doing something wrong.

FOr example, I downloaded some .epub's from Amazon during their free ownload promotion, and even though I have their application loaded I cant get anything to come up. When I click on the files (which are on my sdcard, I get an error , something along the lines of "no known association"

Then the PDF, I have tried Viewer and Reader and both crash on launching.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I'm working on the market fix, but I, like many oithers, get to the point where I can start a download and it starts, but nothing happens after that.

any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

J

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
and wouldnt you know I forgot the ONE question I really wanted to ask. IN any of the e-readers, I THOUGHT I could do Like I did on my ipaq or Palm and that is to go FILE/OPEN/BROWSE then navigate to my SDCARD and open a book.

That doesnt seem to be an option.

SO again I must be missing something.

Any help is appreciated.

I have .TXT .DOC . RTF .PDF .epub and just about any OTHER alternative book format

thanks

j

blazingwolf

Aug 16, 2010
Did you mean Aldiko instead of Alkido? If yes then Aldiko has a import feature. Open Aldiko, then tap on the menu button and then tap on import. Follow the directions to import epub files from the SDcard in to Aldiko.

I'm pretty sure that the Kindle and Nook apps do not import books from the outside.

There is a PC app called Calibre that can help you manage your books and reformat them in to different formats so that you can get them working in one of the readers you mentioned.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
if they're on your sd card Aldiko reader has an import option that scans for compatable formats, it's in the menu when you first open the app when you're at your virtual shelf... did you try that?

Laruta is another good reader.... it has an import option too.. you have to hit the little up arrow at the bottom then click "my library" then menu... it'll bring up a scan option and automatically bring in your epubs...

plus aldiko give options to make home screen shortcuts so you can click on them and go straight to the book... just click and hol don the home screen then it'll have a direct option for aldiko and brings up a list of your books.. click the one you want and it puts the cover image on the home page .. one click access to the book. :) ..... i think that's what you're trying to accomplish... correct?

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
Guys,

Thanks for that pointer, i absolutely didnt see the omport option, but I'll work on that next also the calibre convert is probably something i need to look at
Thanks

Either of you guys have any experience in the TERMINAL?

I cant get a keyboard to pop up when I'm in terminal

thanks for the reader help.

j

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
As blazingwolf said Calibre works for quite a few format conversions. So far it has never let me down.

As far as the Kindle books go Amazon has released their Kindle for Android. Just go to their site and download it. I think B&N has released Nook for Android also at the B&N site.

You are trying exactly what I want to do when I find the right Android tablet. I have dedicated ereaders now and want to combine them into one device. I will miss being able to surf the net free no matter where I am with Kindles 3G network. But I decided to keep one Kindle with the 3G, download the books and then add them to the Android tablet from the Amazon storage site.

(And can anyone tell me how to get my user name out of all caps? Edit profile doesn't allow editing the user name as far as I can tell. I know this is off topic so a private email will be fine if it is possible.)

blazingwolf

Aug 16, 2010

j

Which terminal? Have you tried the Android Terminal? It has the option to use the soft keyboard while the dev terminal does not. I can post the Android terminal if you don't have or can't get market working.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Amazon Kindle for Android works great. I had tested that out yesterday. Found a good collection of hidden free books on Amazon. They seem to hid stuff thats for free. You got to dig it out.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Guys,

Thanks for that pointer, i absolutely didnt see the omport option, but I'll work on that next also the calibre convert is probably something i need to look at
Thanks

j

I use Terminal magic... it's in the app store that augen gave as an alternative... and the one in the dev tools works too.. just not in landscape mode.. you have to be in poitriat.. and press and hold the screen for a sec.. if that doesn't do it press and hold the menu hard key... the biggest issue i have with it though is it dosen't allow backspacing.. so if you boo-boo you gotta start all over...

terminal magic will let you back space.. just gotta deal with ads...i'm sure there are plent other options if you have access to the market either via the fix or another android device...

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Aldiko - ebook reader for Android latest premium version isn't that bad. Better than Amazon Kindle Reader for Android hands down.

Last edited:

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
I just downloaded the one from the augen store i dont know if its the same one, if you wouldnt mind posting a link to ANdroid Terminal i'd appreciate it, getting to the market is what i need the terminal to resolve!

J

blazingwolf

Aug 16, 2010
I just downloaded the one from the augen store i dont know if its the same one, if you wouldnt mind posting a link to ANdroid Terminal i'd appreciate it, getting to the market is what i need the terminal to resolve!

J

Here you go. :)

To get the keyboard just tap menu and Soft keyboard after your in the terminal.

Attachments

• $jackpal.androidterm-1.apk.zip
    45.9 KB · Views: 295

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
tipster, there was a link to the free ebooks from amazon on deals.woot.com last week. then a day later i got an email from them (I'm a frequent flyer)

they have some pretty decent stuff

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
tipster, there was a link to the free ebooks from amazon on deals.woot.com last week. then a day later i got an email from them (I'm a frequent flyer)

they have some pretty decent stuff

I'll have to check that out thanks. I shop woot too.