Buy a slate now, or wait until the next generation.

Rustynail09

Aug 24, 2010
I am in a bit of a stalemate at the moment, I reallly want and android slate to compliment my Motorola Droid. But, alas, currently for my budget, the best I could afford is a G10, Apad, ect. With the new generation on the horizon, should I wait to nab one of them, or pick up a current generation and hope for updates.

Any insight would be well welcomed!

nevery

Sep 1, 2010
I think you need to know what you wanna do with it.
Did the current tablets do what you need to?
I´ve ordered a Hipad G10
Technicly it does what I want
mostly read ebooks my Samsung sgh i900 is a bit to small to read pdf and so on in a good form
It support 2 fingertouch
plays videos and music
dont now how the display is but hope fine to
so have a look what you need and look what wich one can
if nothing fit this dont buy one

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
You can always wait until the next generation, as there will be "next generations" for some years to come. That way, you'll never get your tablet. :)

cdndave

Aug 29, 2010
I too struggled with the decision to buy now or wait. I wanted a device to watch video (TV and movies), read PDF files, Comic books (CBR/CBZ) and the occasional epub. I decided on the Hiapad M701 (also known as the gpad g10). Besides the short battery life, I am happy with the unit, the g sensor works well, but I wish the home button worked like my Motorola Milestone.

D

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
In this business no mater how long you wait, when you decide to buy something there will always be something better on the horison. For example, you wait six months until you buy a tablet. When you will buy it it will be "the top" for about two months (even less) after that someone will release a better one. As for wich tablet is the best righ now? it is very hard to tell since it depends on your needs.

If you are interested I wrote a small article where I compare some of the tablets you can find on the market Right Now. Check it out here: Android Tablet Comparison

Aug 31, 2010
I think you need to know what you wanna do with it.
Did the current tablets do what you need to?
I´ve ordered a Hipad G10
Technicly it does what I want
mostly read ebooks my Samsung sgh i900 is a bit to small to read pdf and so on in a good form
It support 2 fingertouch
plays videos and music
dont now how the display is but hope fine to
so have a look what you need and look what wich one can
if nothing fit this dont buy one
I think you made a good choice, the M701 (or G10 as people seem to call it round here) is pretty tried and tested. Of course there are more powerful tablets coming out the time, like the A81, but often they are buggy as hell for quite a few firmware revs. As stated by many in this thread there will always be a next generation around the corner and I think the bette tablets unbranded tablets are well enough tested and established now to be considered a good purchase.

You'll be happy and enjoy it no doubt.

Aug 4, 2010
In the next few weeks we will see a flurry of new pads. I own several and yes its a bit irritating to see a better product
and a cheaper price days after you bought yours. That said, I own a G10 as well as a Eken M001 and Moonse e 7001
All are nice but... I think the best values are the A81 e or the Herotab The software can be improved. Hardware can't.
The A81 e features a removable battery. The Herotaba glass screen. Both units have in my view better build quality for
just a few dollars more then the Gpad units.

Rustynail09

Aug 24, 2010
Well, my decision has been made and ordered. I ordered an A81E as it will fit the needs of what I was looking for in a tablet. I managed to order the GPS model (due to my geocaching addiction) and it will be funny to have the worlds largest car GPS at my disposal! Thanks for all the input and will hopefully now become an active member of this and other slate forums!