Camera quality

Music

Feb 5, 2011
On the S7,

What should the quality of the back camera be like? If it's a 5 Mega-pixel camera, then it ought to be pretty good, right? But so far, all the images I've seen on the screen are kinda grainy or blurry. Granted, it's shot at 1600 x 1200 pixels, and shrunk down to the 7 inch screen, but I'd think that the camera should be fairly matched to the screen so it looks good.

I've attached a photo taken today of the dog at about 5 feet of distance.

I've read about a plastic covering on the back camera. If it's like a piece of clingy plastic or clear tape, then it should come off when you scratch at it with your fingernail. There isn't anything covering or protecting the lens.

Are there any settings for the back camera to make the images smaller and/or better looking on a desktop PC?

The same goes for the front camera.

thx

Attachments

• $2011-02-13 15.35.17.jpg
    $2011-02-13 15.35.17.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 406

RoyEP3

Feb 3, 2011
I think the back camera is 2mp as well as the front. Also, I'm on my 2nd S7 device. My first one had a plastic covering the lens on the back and my second one didn't. Either way, that little plastic screen won't make a difference. The cam quality is not great. Don't sell your point and shoot.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
On the S7,

What should the quality of the back camera be like? If it's a 5 Mega-pixel camera, then it ought to be pretty good, right? But so far, all the images I've seen on the screen are kinda grainy or blurry. Granted, it's shot at 1600 x 1200 pixels, and shrunk down to the 7 inch screen, but I'd think that the camera should be fairly matched to the screen so it looks good.

I've attached a photo taken today of the dog at about 5 feet of distance.

I've read about a plastic covering on the back camera. If it's like a piece of clingy plastic or clear tape, then it should come off when you scratch at it with your fingernail. There isn't anything covering or protecting the lens.

Are there any settings for the back camera to make the images smaller and/or better looking on a desktop PC?

The same goes for the front camera.

thx

That's a dog!!? Seriously though, I think you'll find that the pics are much better in bright light or sunlight but at 2MP don't expect too much. I have been having fun experimenting with some special effect camera apps such as antique camera which vary certain parameters such as color saturation and grain to simulate photos taken with vintage film cameras. Since the quality isn't great to begin with, these effects sort of jazz up the mediocre picture quality and give an artistic or aesthetically pleasing ambiance to your pics. Its fun playing around with these free apps and it can spice up pics taken with otherwise limited hardware specs.

efidol

Dec 30, 2010
The front facing camera seems to take better pix than the back... Ps my s7 had no film? On the back lens.

Sent from my Huawei Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

JFer

Dec 19, 2010
I think the back camera is 2mp as well as the front. Also, I'm on my 2nd S7 device. My first one had a plastic covering the lens on the back and my second one didn't. Either way, that little plastic screen won't make a difference. The cam quality is not great. Don't sell your point and shoot.
Yes, back camera is 2 Mp.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
My first digital camera was 1.3 MP, and it took great looking photos at any distance. I think the biggest difference is that one had a much better lens (a real lens!) So I will take that into account here. I'll go outside and see how the images come out with the better light.

Maybe the next model S7 will have better cameras, more internal memory, a host USB and the capacitive screen, or course.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
looks like you were moving camera around while the pic was taken

here is a pic of my dog with the back cam (only sunlight thru one window)

$2011-02-12 15.38.51_edit0.jpg

another of my S7 car mount on my dash

$2011-02-03 15.39.05_edit0.jpg

very good pic quality for what is needed

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I'm starting to consider exchanging mine for a new one.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
My experience with 2MP cameras (as in the G1) is that it needs a lot of light in the background to take good pictures. It usually is useless indoors. There is nothing wrong with your tablet.

Sunlight makes a huge difference.

jhsband84

Dec 14, 2010
I agree with xaueious. Indoor pictures are grainy and dark, but outside pics are pretty good. Of course, I can't hold the tablet very still, so my bad pics are completely my fault :D But before you return your tablet, experiment with different light levels including outdoor bright sunlight. You should see a difference in quality.

smartin

Jan 31, 2011
Has anyone been able to use a barcode-reading app that relies on the camera to capture the bar code? I tried "Barcode Scanner" without success. My guess is the camera is not up to the task. It really is shockingly horrible indoors.
Steve

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I have been able to capture the QR codes successfully, but not the UPC bar codes.

Has anyone tried asking huawei about this?

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
I can get mine to read the square 2D kind of of computer/phone screens. Won't read package barcodes indoors though. Autofocus would have really helped with that.