Cannot Access External SD, So I Cannot Recover with CW Mod

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
Right, still returned the same output. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Once again, greatly appreciate your help.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Something isn't right here, besides the obvious.

Take a look at my output for my 9742, here. That is what you should be seeing when you do the mount command, and the second set is what you should be getting when you do the ls command.

Thus...try it again.

Code:
adb shell
mount
ls /dev/block/*

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
My mistake, I didn't realize you needed that part too I'll repost it all.

Code:
shell@android:/ $ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/nande /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal
_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journa
l_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0

Code:
shell@android:/ $ ls /dev/block/*
ls /dev/block/*
/dev/block/loop0
/dev/block/loop1
/dev/block/loop2
/dev/block/loop3
/dev/block/loop4
/dev/block/loop5
/dev/block/loop6
/dev/block/loop7
/dev/block/mmcblk0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
/dev/block/nanda
/dev/block/nandb
/dev/block/nandc
/dev/block/nandd
/dev/block/nande
/dev/block/nandf
/dev/block/nandg
/dev/block/nandh
/dev/block/nandi
/dev/block/nandi1
sunxi-mmc.0
/dev/block/ram0
/dev/block/ram1
179:0
179:1
93:64
93:65

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You're missing everything related to storage.
Code:
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/extsd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ui
d=1000,gid=1023,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=
ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:64 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,u
id=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset
=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:64 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relat
ime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,ioch
arset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
You also have an extra partition (/dev/block/nandi1) that you shouldn't have. Check your /mnt directory with a file manager and let me know what you have.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
Ok, I have folders for asec, extsd, obb, sdcard, secure, and usbhost1. I also checked each one and all of them showed up as being empty. The sdcard should have something in it at least, considering I can access the sdcard partition's files through other methods.

EDIT: Unmounted I turned on USB Storage, added an mp3 to the SD card then turned off USB Storage and I can now see the contents of the SD Card through the mnt folder.

Last edited:

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
/mnt/sdcard has data in it. /mnt/extsd/ does not have anything in it.

EDIT: Looks like the mount command returns some extra info now. A little more like what you were expecting I assume. These inconsistent issues are a pain in the ass.

Code:
shell@android:/ $ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/nande /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal
_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journa
l_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:65 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,u
id=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset
=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:65 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relat
ime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,ioch
arset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

Another thing I had not mentioned is that after a fresh restart the extsd is mounted, but once I go through and cycle USB Storage it becomes unmounted. An attempted remount results in a "Damaged SD Card" message, but I know the SD card is still good from trying it in another device.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
And you're still missing information about the external SD card itself. If it does in fact read it now, you should try to get Clockworkmod to read it while you can. But, given the inconsistencies here, I'm wondering if this may be more hardware related than software. I don't suppose you can tell me if the tablet was stable before installing the Livesuite ROM?

Try that mount command I provided upthread and see if it works now.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
It was stable before installing the ROM, at least as far as I could tell anyway. I was able to load up my eBooks from it. I tried the command to mount it again and it returned the same result, Operation not permitted. I haven't been able to get CW Mod to load into recovery yet, or do anything at all really. It has superuser permissions and when I open the app after a fresh restart on the tablet, it does not give me the no SD Card error, but when I try to reboot into recovery or backup my current ROM it just restarts without doing anything. I even tried to partition the SD Card, same results. Maybe I'm missing something here, I am relatively inexperienced with all of this.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
It seems I don't have a reboot-recovery file in the system/bin on my tablet, and I can't push one into there because I am getting a "Read-only File System" error. This is all pretty frustrating.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Please post a picture of the back of your tablet, so the model number is visible.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
I am at work, so I don't have it with me, but I can say for sure that it's an 8042-4. I read through the other thread about the internal SD card yesterday and saw the similarities between my problems and his, but I'm sure about the model number.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It doesn't matter much anyway. When you installed the ROM through Livesuite you completely changed your tablet. Without a firmware dump from before you used Livesuite there is no way to return you to stock. If these tablets had a fastboot mode the response would be different.

Contact Coby and see if they'll exchange your tablet.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
Well, I called them and because I got it through another company, I would have to handle it through them. I don't really feel comfortable with that because I possible damaged it by rooting it. On another note though, I got CWM Recovery to work. Just restored it with Vampireinfo's dumps. We'll see how this works out.

EDIT: Hmmm did a complete format and still having the same problem. It's possible this is due to the hardware differences, but I don't have any other problems at all. I'm starting to think that I need to put the SD Card through some more rigorous testing on a different device, and/or try another SD in this one.

Last edited: