Can't connect to wifi overseas

jim harvest

Nov 25, 2010
Hi

I have a new 7" MID tablet X5a with telechip. It worked great in the UK. I am now in New Zealand on holiday and am unable to connect it to the internet.

I am getting good connections from wifi hotspots, but when I try to connect to google or you tube, for example, or indeed any website, there appears to be no server connection.

I would be very grateful if anyone could make a suggestion as to what I could try to solve this problem.

I have changed the memory card from the original 2 GB to a 32 GB item, otherwise, the tablet is standard.

Many thanks for any responses.

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
i know this issue arose with my acer netbook in the usa versus china. it had to do with usa using "wep" security but china now using "wpa2".

jim harvest

Nov 25, 2010
maybe you configured a static IP in the advanced wlan settings?

Thank you for your reply Loonix. I thought it may be due to a fixed IP address, but I cannot find where to change this. Where do I find the advanced wlan settings?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Some stupid questions.
1, Does the hotspot have instructions or a Gateway passthrough. i.e. You have to accept terms.... before you can access and use?
2, Does the WLAN adapter have a good IP address? Settings, Wireless/Wlan then Click on a connected hotspot? An IP address other than a 169.... address should show.
Suggestions:
Connect to the Hotspot. But ask if there are instructions available.
I assume you are using the default browser and not Opera. Many times. On a Gateway, It provides a temporary address and then with a PC does an auto-redirect. Android Default browser is not always that smart. You may need to go to the gateway directly. Find out what the gateway IP address is and type that into the browser. You should then be challenged for a User click through and then on your way.
Unfortunately, Gateway acceptance is not intuitive for the default Android browser. So you have to do it manually.

Best of luck

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
...Where do I find the advanced wlan settings?
If you are in the Settings go to 'Wireless & Networks' -> 'Wi-Fi Settings' -> press the 'menu' key and chose 'Advanced'.
Here you can configure a static adress, a default gateway, DNS servers...

Good luck!

jim harvest

Nov 25, 2010
Some stupid questions.
1, Does the hotspot have instructions or a Gateway passthrough. i.e. You have to accept terms.... before you can access and use?
2, Does the WLAN adapter have a good IP address? Settings, Wireless/Wlan then Click on a connected hotspot? An IP address other than a 169.... address should show.
Suggestions:
Connect to the Hotspot. But ask if there are instructions available.
I assume you are using the default browser and not Opera. Many times. On a Gateway, It provides a temporary address and then with a PC does an auto-redirect. Android Default browser is not always that smart. You may need to go to the gateway directly. Find out what the gateway IP address is and type that into the browser. You should then be challenged for a User click through and then on your way.
Unfortunately, Gateway acceptance is not intuitive for the default Android browser. So you have to do it manually.

Best of luck

1. Yes, they said a page should pop up on my tablet, but it hasn't done so.

2. Yes it was 10.10.10.80 I think. The hotspot, a public library, is closed today, but I recall that was the address, or something close to it.

The staff were helpful, and showed me a troubleshooting manual, which said that it was most likely a fixed IP address. I am using Opera, and I entered the IP address in there, but no connection was made. Sorry, I'm not techie, but is that what you meant by entering the gateway IP address?

I've tried four or five hotspots now, but unfortunately without success. Is there anything else I can try?

Many thanks for your help gurgle.

jim harvest

Nov 25, 2010
If you are in the Settings go to 'Wireless & Networks' -> 'Wi-Fi Settings' -> press the 'menu' key and chose 'Advanced'.
Here you can configure a static adress, a default gateway, DNS servers...

Good luck!

Thank you for that Loonix. I have found it now. Unfortunately it is not set with a static IP address. Is there anything else I can try?

Cheers
Jim

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
hmm.... since i do not expect the WLAN acess to follow different rules then in europe or america i cant realy think of differnt tings... ='(
maybe , just maybe upgraging to a newer firmware could help.
or maybe in those specific hotspots you need certain certificates.
very probably the local employees are better informed!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
If you are able to connect and you are getting a valid IP address ie in this case a 10.10.10.x addy, then it is possible there is a NZ special issue. I found this and am pasting it. You may need to use the advanced setting and change the channels.
SNIP----->
NZ has its own spectrum management regulations, as does every other country.

With respect to 802.11b/g channels - NZ follows the ETSI standards which allows 13 channels. Every US centric reference you see to channels 1,6,11 being non overlapping, should be substituted for channels 1,7,13 in NZ.

NZ allows maximum EIRP of 1W at 2.4GHZ for any modulation, 4W for digital modulation of FHSS. This is for point - point and point - multipoint appliciations.

NZ allows maximum EIRP of 1W at 5.8GHz for any modulation for non point - point, max EIRP of 200W, with a max IR of 1W for point - point applications. Maximum power allowances at 5GHz are slightly different depending on the exact frequency used. Above figures are for 5.725 - 5.825GHz.

See http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/licensing/types-of-licence/general-user-licences/fixed-radio-link-devices/information-on-the-operation-of-wireless-lan-and-related-systems-in-the-2-ghz-and-5-ghz-bands?searchterm=802.11%20power for full details.

<--------SNIP

jim harvest

Nov 25, 2010
Hi

Thanks Gurgle, and Loonix for your response too.

I'll have a shot at your comments on the channels Gurgle, though it looks a bit techie for me. I'm from UK too, which may complicate things a bit.

Since I've last been on line, I managed to get it working at one particular wifi hotspot. The only thing unique about this one I'm aware of, was that it charged for use of wifi, the rest have been free.

However, I'm sure it must be significant that it works on one, even if all of the others have failed.

My firmware version is 2.1 - update 1, which I believe is the latest available.

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Hi Jim!
'2.1 - update 1' is not the firmware version but the operating system version.
the # at the end of the kernel version is a better indicator.

I am sorry but i cant tell you where to get the newest x5a firmware, also i cant promise that it will change anything.

Maybe that accesspoint that works is an imported device that does not use the NZ standard. =(

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
I agree with gurgle -- WiFi standards over seas allow for more channels that fall into frequencies that aren't allowed for use in the states, and if they are using those channels and your tablet follows US WiFi standards then it can't see those channels. Might find a place that is set with channel 11 that would work as that is the highest frequency allowed for most WiFi devices.