Can't copy files from usb drive

dallasrules

Apr 23, 2013
I have a google nexus 7, but my kids have generic tablets. I can copy movies and music files directly from my HP laptop to any of the tablets and it works fine. I bought a 64gb usb drive. When I copy the files to the usb drive and then copy them to the tablets, they won't work. Can anyone tell me why? I have tried two different usb drives. My nexus 7 only has 8gb of memory and no sd card slot. I am often out of wi-fi range and want to be able to take the movies and music with me. Could it be the size of the drive and the system it is formatted with? I know you can only format the 64gb drive with FATEX I think. Would a smaller drive work? If so, how big can I go before I have trouble. I hope someone can offer some suggestions, this is driving me nuts.:confused:

dallasrules

Apr 23, 2013
Try using this tool: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 Download - EXTREME Overclocking

Then format for FAT32. M$ is trying to force us to use exFAT and not all android devices recognize it.

For your N7, you should be able to get a microSD OTG cable and then use the Nexus Media Importer app in the Play Store to import media. It is not Read/Write unless you root your N7, but better than nothing.

Thanks, I will try the tool. I have not been able to get the drive to format with anything other than exFAT so maybe it will work. I have the OTG cable and Nexus Media Importer. That is how I am copying files now. What do you mean by it not being Read/Write unless you rooted? I have not been willing to try rooting yet since I have not discovered benefits that are worth the risk for me.

Also, do you know what is the standard maximum size that you can format with FAT32?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Thanks, I will try the tool. I have not been able to get the drive to format with anything other than exFAT so maybe it will work. I have the OTG cable and Nexus Media Importer. That is how I am copying files now. What do you mean by it not being Read/Write unless you rooted? I have not been willing to try rooting yet since I have not discovered benefits that are worth the risk for me.

Also, do you know what is the standard maximum size that you can format with FAT32?

Around 8 TB for the max partition size of FAT32. Biggest limitation of FAT32 is 4 GB per file size (bluray rips may be over that)

And with the importer, you can only import files from an external USB, you cannot move files from your tab to the USB last time I checked. (You can read USB disks but you can it write to them)