Change email address registered with market

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
When using the autonooter I followed the instructions pretty closely. My issue is that my Droid X is registered with my work google apps email account, and I used my personal email to set up my NC. Without starting from scratch, can I change the default email account? I've purchased a bunch of apps that I would also like to use on my NC, and I understand that I should be able to if they are registered with the same account. Thanks for any and all help.

Dr.Bones

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
To my knowledge there is only one way to change the registration address on your NC: "Erase and deregister" in device settings.

This will wipe all books and apps from the device and return it to default.

There is something you can try but I've not been able to get it to work: download "Nook color tools" (you may already have from auto nooter), open NC tools > Settings > 2nd Wifi settings button. This will take you back to the start up registration setups where you can enter a new address. But like I said this did not work, the times I've tried.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using the Android Tablets Forum App

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
When using the autonooter I followed the instructions pretty closely. My issue is that my Droid X is registered with my work google apps email account, and I used my personal email to set up my NC. Without starting from scratch, can I change the default email account? I've purchased a bunch of apps that I would also like to use on my NC, and I understand that I should be able to if they are registered with the same account. Thanks for any and all help.

Dr.Bones
Couple of thoughts:

First, there is a way to delete a secondary account...I don't think it solves your problem, but it might lead you in a useful direction: NookColor Remove Secondary Google Account - nookDevs. There is also discussion re: adding accounts, if you're feeling ambitious: Having trouble adding a Google account? This worked for me. - Android Forums

My gut feeling on this is that you'll need to wipe your Nook, and re-root. Do you have Titanium Backup (free)? It makes reinstallation of your apps fairly easy if you go that route.

Second, Google recently changed their policies for paid apps. You used to be able to simply move the apk to a new device and it worked, but I've noticed several apps that don't move, even when accessing from the same Market account. My sense is that these apps use a device ID to lock them to the original device (e.g., Need for Speed and Sims). I wonder what happens when you decide to buy a new device and want to move them over? Anyway, I haven't been able to download Beautiful Widgets, Root Explorer, and several others that I bought with my Droid. :(

Perhaps if you contact the app developer, or check out their documentation webpage? Obviously you don't want to buy the app twice!

-Matt

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
Thanks rico2010 and gadgetrants (Matt) for your responses. Matt, you hit it right on the head, I was actually thinking about using titanium to back and do a complete restore and use the same email address that is on my Droid X.

I'll take a look at the other links to see if they might help.

I'll let you know what happens (so future users can benefit ;))

Dr.Bones

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
So, I decided to do a an Erase and Deregister and figured I would just reset up from the autonooter on. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned. I had previously installed clockworkmod so I could install the new faster kernal, but now when I get to the "touch the android to begin" screen to setup after doing the autonooter, I can press the android and it recognizes the touch, but won't progress beyond that screen. I think I need to restore to factory and start over again.

Do do this I will probably need to follow the instructions on xda developers forum here:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] HELP! Maybe brick?

Dr.Bones

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
There are two steps to going back to factory retore. You need to do a wipe data and factory reset in either CWR, or the 8 reset trick. Then you need to do the "Erase & deregister". Since you have CWR installed, take out your sd card, then boot holding the power button and "n" button to boot into CWR. Once in, preform a "wipe data/factory reset". This will wipe everything and take you back to unrooted 1.0.1.

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
Unfortunately, if you've installed clockworkmod, you can no longer use the factory reset. You have to flash froYo, update/overwrite some files using terminal emulator which restores the factory rom reset.

Not overly complicated, no ADB/command line from the desktop stuff, I just don't have a handy card reader on my office computer, I'll just have to wait until I'm home tonight :(

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
So since you do have CWR installed, follow the direction in my previous post to wipe and factory rest. I've already used it and it will take you back to unrooted 1.0.1. where you can then erase and deregister.

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
Hi rico2001,

No dice, I've done both of what you recommended already. After I originally rooted my NC, I modified the LCD density and that has not changed back to stock and when I reboot after the wipe and factory reset I get the normal Nook Color splash screen, but then get the "Complete action using: QuickStart or Setup Wizard". If I do the B&N quickStart, I can register the device, but I can't complete the Setup Wizard because touching the android to start doesn't work. I can't change my screen density because root explorer is not installed. When I recover using CWM, the NC will work fine for a while and then spontaneously reformat itself due to a registration error.

From what I've read on the clockworkmod posts for Nook Color at XDA, FroYo is the next course of action. Of course, any other ideas would be appreciated.

Dr.Bones

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
So, I finally was able to restore to the stock rom. The directions on the link provided thru XDA developers above didn't work because the froYo image didn't have market installed. So I downloaded the apps I needed from my phone and emailed them to myself.

The apps I needed were:
Term.apk since the installed terminal emulator would not accept numbers
rootexplorer so I could paste the boot files per the instructions provided by samuelhalff here
astro to unzip the boot.zip to over write the files in boottmp

I also had to use a different boot.zip file than was posted on xda (thanks to samuelhalff at xda for pointing me in the right direction). Search shad0wf0x and nook color (here is the link)and you will find that shad0wf0x copied all of his partitions and posted the contents online.

Restoring brought me back to 1.0.0, I need to install 1.0.1 and then use autonoot and I'll be back in business. Quite the learning experience.

Dr.Bones