Changed my launcher and found an amazing app..

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Since almost day one with my NC, I've been a Zeam fan. Simple, clean, easy to use. Then my wife got her NC and wanted something more interesting. So I put the freebie version of ADW on there for her and after tweaking it for her, realized what all the hype is about. So I bought myself the full version and gave my NC a facelift. It's got some really cool screen transitions and I love the fact that I can rearrange the screen order.

$11-03-06-5.png

However, that's not the amazing app part.. She wanted to organize her various apps and the plethora of games she's downloaded for our 5 year old to play, so we found something called Folder Organizer.. Basically it lets you put icons on the screen that pop open a folder containing more icons that you've flagged to fit within that specific category. You can also use it to assign new icons to programs. I bought the pro version for a whopping $1.33 yesterday and it's probably the best $1.33 I've spent on the market so far.

Here is what happens when you hit the IE icon... All my internet applications, in one easy location.

$11-03-06-6.png

Anywho, thought I'd share..

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Looks nice. Post the 1st pic in screenshot thread too :)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks, but I'm still tweaking it. Once I get it "perfect", then I will.. Of course, I've been tweaking it since the first day I rooted it, so I doubt I'll ever find "perfect" hahaha

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
You think that launcher rocks, if you are up for really modifying, check out sweeterhome2 beta, I run it on my Droidx and now run it on my NC. Since both devices have similar setup, I can transition between the two devices without blinking.

http://www.sweeterhome.com

If you use it, watch the youtube videos and read some of the documentation, the amount of options can be overwhelming.

Dr.Bones

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011

Doesn't really look too exciting to me.. What am I missing? Plus it must be for 2.2.. Not showing up on my NC's search.

Last edited by a moderator:

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
Combine folder organizer with desktop visualizer to create custom icons for folder organizer. I use it on the nc and my droid x.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
While I have been using ADWex for some time (on my Aria) after I got my NC I discovered the SiMi Clock and Folder widgets https://market.android.com/details?id=com.th.android.widget.SiMiFolder&feature=search_result, https://market.android.com/details?id=com.th.android.widget.gTabsimiClock&feature=search_result They are beautiful minimalist widgets packed with features. As I stated in another thread, the Clock widget alone could easily replace ADW as an all purpose launcher/widget. It is infinitely customizable. The folder widget possible more so.

I still use ADWex as my default home launcher as the appearance/system tweaks can't be beat. Just throwing another alternative out there...

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Local, that's what I had been using right up until I went with ADW.. I liked how you can assign the various regions of SiMi to launch different apps. I'm setting up a second launcher for landscape viewing (cuz everything gets resized and ends up looking stupid), and SiMi/Zeam is my choice for that layout so far.

Bratliff, you can do that with just FO.. Any pic from the web/camera/whatever can be used as an icon for any program, folder or shortcut. I wish it would give me the ability to make a shortcut to a specific file. That'd be handy.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Bratliff, you can do that with just FO.. Any pic from the web/camera/whatever can be used as an icon for any program, folder or shortcut. I wish it would give me the ability to make a shortcut to a specific file. That'd be handy.

DSC_0046.JPG

Notice my custom shortcut buttons.

:cool:One of my favorite features:cool:

Also Raven, I believe there is a way to do this "make a shortcut to a specific file" although if you could clarify exactly what it is you are trying to make a shortcut for I might be able to suss it out. I distinctly remember this being a prime feature of one of the apps/widgets/launchers I have sampled.:confused: but a little more detail and I may be able to help.

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
Local, that's what I had been using right up until I went with ADW.. I liked how you can assign the various regions of SiMi to launch different apps. I'm setting up a second launcher for landscape viewing (cuz everything gets resized and ends up looking stupid), and SiMi/Zeam is my choice for that layout so far.

Yes but you get more options for sizes etc.. I make a huge shortcut to games, so my boys know that the slide to the left and its the large picture of the android that takes them to their games.. Its just a little extra freedom is all.
+1 on simi-clock.. Great app.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
DSC_0046.JPG

Notice my custom shortcut buttons.

:cool:One of my favorite features:cool:

Also Raven, I believe there is a way to do this "make a shortcut to a specific file" although if you could clarify exactly what it is you are trying to make a shortcut for I might be able to suss it out. I distinctly remember this being a prime feature of one of the apps/widgets/launchers I have sampled.:confused: but a little more detail and I may be able to help.

A simple shortcut to any file (book, image, whatever) that opens in its respective application. One click, boom, you're in the file which is open in the correct application. No digging for the app, no hunting for the file. I read that DV would do that, but when I tried it, it never worked. I'm sure it was user error, but it shouldn't require 30 steps to set up a simple shortcut. Heck, Windows can do it with 4 total mouse clicks..

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
A simple shortcut to any file (book, image, whatever) that opens in its respective application. One click, boom, you're in the file which is open in the correct application. No digging for the app, no hunting for the file. I read that DV would do that, but when I tried it, it never worked. I'm sure it was user error, but it shouldn't require 30 steps to set up a simple shortcut. Heck, Windows can do it with 4 total mouse clicks..

Got it! ESFile Explorer with the Bookmark Manager Module: Navigate to the file> long press > scroll down to "bookmark" Bob's yer Uncle.