Clearing out trash from gmail

sheryltoo

Nov 9, 2012
I set up a gmail account when I bought my first android smart phone and use the gmail app on my tablet to view it but I don't see any way to get rid of the emails in my trash folder.
I tried doing a google search and I get the impression there's no way to empty my trash folder with this gmail app so now how do I get rid of all my trash?
I understand I could use a different email app but will that clear out the email already on my tablet?
I set up a second email with the email app that came on the tablet so I was thinking I'd add my gmail account to that, assuming you can use it with gmail, but I'm not sure what to do about the mail that's in the gmail app.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If you are using an IMAP server (which I believe all the Google accounts should use) it syncs with the server and is not just downloading a local copy.

The stock GMail and Email apps do not have a Select All option to delete email. You can try some 3rd party apps, Kaiten is my flavor of choice for Email, but it has a price tag of $5. K-9 is a free version, but it is not tablet optimized but should do what you need it to do. The other option is to use a web browser that can see the full desktop site, or use a computer to empty the trash from time to time.

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
I'm pretty sure all gmail users already know this, but just in case you've forgotten, any email that has been sitting in the trash folder for more than 30 days is automatically deleted. Having said that, I do go into my gmail on my desktop whenever I think about it and clean it out manually. It would be nice if this could be done easily in the gmail app.

Auntie
sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1