CM7 Bootable SD vs. Stock/Rooted Nook

If you are using CM7 on an SD card how often do you boot back to stock/rooted B&N?

• I only use CM7 on an SD card and never boot into stock/rooted B&N.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I sometimes boot into stock/rooted B&N. Why?

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I regularly boot into stock/rooted B&N instead of my CM7 SD card. Why?

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other/NA (I only use stock/rooted/custom ROM on internal).

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am curious now that CM7 has been available for quite sometime as both an internal replacement ROM and a bootable SD card ROM how often you actually boot into stock/rooted if you are using CM7 from an SD card. Lack of questions regarding stock Nooks and even to an extent rooted Nooks seems to imply that most people that have the option of booting into either stock or stock rooted are perfectly happy spending all of their time in CM7 bootable instead.

Let's hear it, do you ever leave CM7 bootable for the joys of stock/rooted B&N?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I sometimes boot into my rooted Nook to help people that have questions about stock or rooted Nooks. It used to be convenient to keep it on internal just for hat purpose. This happens very rarely these days though and I am inclined to put CM7 on internal at this point and just flash back to stock/rooted as necessary to help people.

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
I've got CM7.1 on the eMMC and don't want stock. I just got the email to update to 1.4 today and deleted it unread. Thinking about 7.2, gnashing at the bit for ICS. ;)

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
After installing CM7 to the internal memory, I have never looked back or missed the stock Rom, I mean after all CM7 does everything the stock Rom does plus a whole lot more. That being said, CM7 is kind of fiddly what with the SOD, (had that today) and other anomolies, but I still prefer it over the stock.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I had a couple of time a problem with my wifi that didn't want to recognize the connection and I needed to go online, so I booted on stock and the WiFi was working and I could finish what I was doing. Another time was in occasion of last update, just curious about the update and netflix but on stock everything is so "not smooth" that is a pain to use it . I can leave without it. Now that I have another device for enegencies , I keep my nook on CM 7 and soon enough in ics! :)
Samsung Galaxy Note

Last edited:

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Ah yes,ICS, can't wait. I have been following the progress and they are getting closer to something the common user might give a try,, but still a way off me thinks.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well it goes without saying that when CM9 is available the case for stock/rooted becomes even weaker :)

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I'm on CM7 on SD, and I've only gone into stock to update the firmware to test performance. I found it lacking and haven't booted into it since then. The only reason I'm not installing anything to internal is because I have a four year old that plays with it and he's as likely to drop it as he is to click every advertisement on every game. In other words, I don't want it to be borked before that replacement plan warranty thing is up.

jnewt74

Dec 16, 2010
Current install CM7 on eMMC, installed CM7.1 update via rom manager, have honeycomb on SD card for playing and testing... LOVE MY NOOK, holding my breath for CM9. Played with Phiremod. Purchased Arnova 10 g2 for work, Use my nook most of the time. perfect 7 inch tablet for my 4 year old.

cbill

Nov 11, 2011
JP, thanks for your past help.

Using CM7 on Sandisk 8Gig, Clk 4 Micro SD. Never go back to stock!! Great little tablet with CM7; I am sure it will be even better with CM9!! Looking forward to the day. Hoping you all will keep us "illiterates" up to date. Bought my N/C to experiment with; and as soon as there is a half-way reasonable procedure or making a bootable Micro SD I will jump in. Seems the safe approach for now. Will be watching for your updates!!!

Cbill

beaujack

Jan 3, 2012
I am curious now that CM7 has been available for quite sometime as both an internal replacement ROM and a bootable SD card ROM how often you actually boot into stock/rooted if you are using CM7 from an SD card. Lack of questions regarding stock Nooks and even to an extent rooted Nooks seems to imply that most people that have the option of booting into either stock or stock rooted are perfectly happy spending all of their time in CM7 bootable instead.

Let's hear it, do you ever leave CM7 bootable for the joys of stock/rooted B&N?

I've kept both for a week. The last reason boot into rooted B&N disappeared yesterday. Using Samba & Titanium Backup I migrated my Angry Birds history to CM7. Trivial? Perhaps.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I've kept both for a week. The last reason boot into rooted B&N disappeared yesterday. Using Samba & Titanium Backup I migrated my Angry Birds history to CM7. Trivial? Perhaps.

Awesome. So you made the TB in B&N, Samba'd it to PC, booted into CM7 and Samba'd the TB back from the PC? Very nice ;)

beaujack

Jan 3, 2012
You got it. Now if I can find out where Root Explorer went on my sweetheart/wife's NC, I can update her. Environmental software and the endless itch to fiddle.