CMP738A Batter Life - Any hope?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
tipstir - I've been reading the posts you've done on the craig and I appreciate the objective opinion. I think you've given it a really thorough test. Craig should hire you as a consultant on how to fix the next models!

(p.s. I have saved my CVS receipt and unless there is a "miracle" 2.2 ROM soon, mine will probably go back in a few weeks. That's the nice thing about buying local from a retailer instead of ordering from a website in China! Returns maybe a little hassle, but still better than dealing with international shipping costs)

I did offer that statement to their Craig CEO. Never going happen All he wants to do is gets his hand on my tablet then send me a new one. I don't want a 3rd CMP738A ever again!. But CVS Executive of Products told me I should return the tablet to CVS Pharmacy Store. I plan on it. The first one I had returned it at night. I'll do the same for this one. You should test it out, these are good if you don't have issues. But even their own Craig Tech Support told one member they have hardware electronic issues with this model. But you know the CEO of Craig is stubborn and doesn't listen to his customer issues. They only 90 days protection policy those type of policy is old school everyone else even Coby has 1 year support. CEO of Craig told me his product was better and cheaper than the rest. Well that statement is true it's cheaper than the rest but you pay for it at the end.

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
I flashed to Shad's 4.3 ROM last night and wow! Night and day when it comes to functionality. Full market access...wooohoo! But no real difference in battery usage that I can see.

About battery life, I am getting just about three hours after a full charge...that is full time surfing the web and wifi cooking. That is about exactly what the Craig owner's manual says I should get.

The box says "up to 6 hours", but the paper manual says six hours ONLY if you are playing MP3s...and the assumption is no Wifi and no playing video back. Yeah, kind of a "bait and switch" on battery life, but all of these marketeers do that kind of thing, so it doesn't surprise me. Obviously there were some hardware short cuts to keep the cost down, and that is one of them.

It think I saw a post in a thread somewhere where somebody had opened up the Craig and upgraded the battery considerably (about 4400mah) using two surplus cell phone batteries in parallel. Crude but effective solution!

Off topic but also mentioned this this thread - My screen is not bad at all. Compared to my 9" Asus 900 netbook (1200x600), I think it's pretty comparable in general quality.

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Well, for what it is, with all of the tweaks that you and Shad have given us, it's OK.

Again, I thank you for all the good info and the time you've spent. Otherwise I would have taken it back immediately!
And if had to rely on this thing for my only source of connectivity or productivity, I probably wouldn't be satisfied.

FWIW - I think my next Android tablet purchase is going to be a Wits A81E/G or maybe a Herotab C8 or C9. That C9 looks pretty good if they can actually deliver one to the USA for around $200.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
No I have two other tablets, I've tested 17 tablets. Craig wasn't the best and support form Craig isn't that great. I am still waiting on MS Tablet to be useful. Android Tablet 7015 from Coby is better now since ROM called HoneyComb by me on it. Curtis Tablet is better than the Craig Tablet, I won't be buying the Curtis tablet. Well now to pack up the Craig and put an end to my flawed tablet. I am glad my tweaks had help you though. Good Luck!