Coby 1042 Does Not Boot

edemco

Sep 10, 2014
I have a Coby Kyros MID1042 that is stock. It has not been rooted or modified in any way. Recently, it became difficult to boot. When the power button was pressed, the screen would flash and the power key needed to be held down before the screen would show the Coby image. As time continued, some times it would start (showing the Coby image) and sometimes the screen would only flash. Using different key combinations, the screen would flash again, but the same key combinations would not respond the same way. I've tried the reset button (on the back); Power +Back button (silver); Power+Volume +; Power+Volume-; Power+Volume+ and Volume -; Power+Back+Volume+. At this time it has regressed to no response, ie. no screen flash.

The last time it was running, I went into set up and selected a factory reset. During that session, the screen got fuzzy and then the Coby turned off by itself. The battery was nearly fully charged. Hooking it up to the power adaptor will not help the Coby to boot.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Can you still access recovery? If so, try factory reset again. Good luck.

edemco

Sep 10, 2014
I let the Coby set for a few hours and then went back and pressed the power key. The Coby screen comes up and stays. No other buttons have any affect.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I don't think this is a software problem but hardware. If hardware, as I suspect, the only real option is to purchase a new tablet, as Coby is no longer extant.

edemco

Sep 10, 2014
Not discounting the hardware possibility, I would like to explore all options. Here is what has recently occurred ...

I let the Coby run with the Coby screen until the battery gave up. Since that time, I have been able to turn the Coby off and on with the power button. Only the Coby screen is shown.

Is there a key sequence or other procedure that I could follow at this point?

edemco

Sep 10, 2014
I've gone through all of the suggested key combinations outlined in the "factory reset" compendium. Of interest, there is a reset button on the back cover of my 1042. This button can be accessed with a paperclip. I have not seen any mention of a reset button for a 1042. The reset sometimes works to bring a Coby logo to the screen when the back button is pressed and then the reset is pressed. Still no Android screen which proceeds the unlock menu.

Still trying.

Well ... I've got it so that it opens the Coby screen consistently when the power button is pressed, but it goes no farther. Should I (can I) try a restore process at this point?

Last edited:

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Well ... I've got it so that it opens the Coby screen consistently when the power button is pressed, but it goes no farther. Should I (can I) try a restore process at this point?

Have you tried to access it through ADB? If it's booting enough for that you may be able to save it. Read some of the stickies in the gen3dev section.

Jahn2015

Jan 7, 2015
Have problems with my Coby mid1042, does not seem to hold charge, and to boot takes almost a minute of holding the switch down. When it does boot it is fine but soon stops if not connected to power supply. No roots just normal. Have done factory reset and started new. No difference. any suggestions.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
How old is your 1042? The battery could be going senile due to age and thus not holding the charge for long. You could also have a wakelock from an app which could be sucking the battery dry, in which case you need to remove the app.

If it's the former, look into replacing the battery. I personally wouldn't bother, but my usage pattern differs from yours in that I really only use my 9742 at my bed, when I want to play pinball or when I don't feel like pulling out the 18" tablet I have (Dell XPS 18). So it's plugged in almost all the time now.