Coby 7015 link2sd, ext2 partition not found

emmerick

Mar 14, 2011
Yes, I'm pretty sure the problem described is due to a Windows limitation. Not COMPLETELY sure because I didn't even give a try in Windows :p I use Ubuntu and gParted for almost all my partitioning needs.

I also have that issue. Since then I can't mount the sdcard to the pc through the tablet. Have to take out the sdcard and use a card reader. I'm not sure how this can be solved but I'll do some research.

Also, about the other issue, I'm not sure about USB flash drives (will give it a try later) but I can use my mini USB keyboard with no problems.

As mentioned before you probably can't "see" your sdcard in your PC anymore when connected through USB. Use a card reader in the meantime. I'm not sure about Windows but in Linux you should see the two partitions of your sdcard when you insert it in the card reader. Just copy their contents and repeat the partitioning process with your new card, then copy your files to their respective partitions as they were before. Don't worry about the size of partitions. Link2sd should recognize them with no problems.

Hello friend thanks for the quick response, I think the linux should work that way but just add that also take a look at the root folder data/sdext2 to see if everything is ok because that way when I had some duplicate folders within this named of data/sdext2.

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
Yes, I'm pretty sure the problem described is due to a Windows limitation. Not COMPLETELY sure because I didn't even give a try in Windows :p I use Ubuntu and gParted for almost all my partitioning needs.

I also have that issue. Since then I can't mount the sdcard to the pc through the tablet. Have to take out the sdcard and use a card reader. I'm not sure how this can be solved but I'll do some research.

Also, about the other issue, I'm not sure about USB flash drives (will give it a try later) but I can use my mini USB keyboard with no problems.

As mentioned before you probably can't "see" your sdcard in your PC anymore when connected through USB. Use a card reader in the meantime. I'm not sure about Windows but in Linux you should see the two partitions of your sdcard when you insert it in the card reader. Just copy their contents and repeat the partitioning process with your new card, then copy your files to their respective partitions as they were before. Don't worry about the size of partitions. Link2sd should recognize them with no problems.

i can confirm with the SD card insterted in a card reader in windows you will only see 1 partition. as well as connected to usb... but if you run minitools program you will see both partitions with sd card in card reader. .

Last edited:

vanjhelion

Mar 21, 2011
Since we can't mount the sdext partition. I suggest using root explorer and go to data/sdext and copy all its content and save either on nand or / sdcard.

I did created also a backup of my whole system using clockwork and sdext is included. So i guess do a clockwork backup,migrate the files on the new sd(partitioning was already done)and do an advance restore of sdext only.

Sent from my 7015/7015A HONEYCOMB V11.0-B16MP ACADEV using Android Tablet Forum

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
has anyone resolved the issue with the mounting of the sd card via USB through Kyros after link2sd has been installed

Yggdrasill

May 18, 2011
I just got this working on kyros 7015 I had an issue partitioning the second partition (used ext2) but in the end it was easy enough with Gparted but didn't work on any other partitioning software I tried.

(be sure to have the Kyros ``mount internal usb``, so the PC can find the nand.)
The three partitions should be in this order on the SD:

1. FAT32, Primary.
2. Ext2, Primary.
3. linux SWAP partition (I think 40mb should be enough for swap)

then I just restarted the Kyros and it found the second (ext2) partition for link2SD
but said the nand was an empty SD card and offered to format It by the running OS
and all set, it left the second partition as it were and... yeah, it works fine!

(the kyros was rooted with clockworkmod, and off topic. if anyone needs the GPU fix for games like angry birds it can be downloaded at link below, it was another essential mod to my 7015.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-mid7015-graphics-fix-angry-birds-others.html...

Last edited:

emmerick

Mar 14, 2011
I just got this working on kyros 7015 I had an issue partitioning the second partition (used ext2) but in the end it was easy enough with Gparted but didn't work on any other partitioning software I tried.

(be sure to have the Kyros ``mount internal usb``, so the PC can find the nand.)

1. FAT32, Primary.
2. Ext2, Primary.

then I just restarted the Kyros and it found the second (ext2) partition for link2SD
but said the nand was an empty SD card and offered to format It by the running OS
and all set, it left the second partition as it were and... yeah, it works fine!

(the kyros was rooted with clockworkmod, and off topic. if anyone needs the GPU fix for games like angry birds it can be downloaded at link below, it was another essential mod to my 7015.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-mid7015-graphics-fix-angry-birds-others.html...

Format the NAND is it?

vanjhelion

Mar 21, 2011

1. FAT32, Primary.
2. Ext2, Primary.

Can you please confirm that you can still mount the 1st partition of NAND to PC via USB and be able to save to it directly?

If you see on my previous post after installing it on our SDcards this function had issues and was not able to mount in PC via USB since then.

luisvasquez

May 7, 2011
WARNING: After make these steps (for Kyros 7015 - parted sdcard) will be necessary POWER OFF your devices before to remove your sdcard. Note that the "Unmount SD card" Android option DOESN'T UNMOUNT THE SECOND PARTITION!!!

These steps worked for me too (Kyros 7015A).
Sdcard: 8GB
1. FAT32 - 7GB
2. FAT32 - 1GB

I partitioned my sd card using GParted (Linux) directly from Kyros connected at PC.

Yggdrasill

May 18, 2011
Can you please confirm that you can still mount the 1st partition of NAND to PC via USB and be able to save to it directly?

If you see on my previous post after installing it on our SDcards this function had issues and was not able to mount in PC via USB since then.

I´m sorry for the late reply: I ran into a problem, even thought link2SD found the second partition the kyros saw the two partitions as one large one and used it as such! no idea why... but it was actually functioning although doomed to fail I believe. So I gave up on that. ... but the good news...

got the kyros to recocgnize the actual SD properlyl!!!

I´m pretty sure the only thing I did to accomplish it was to wipe the cache and Dalvik... folders and restart..
after two days of partitioning the Nand every combo possible I couldn´t believe my luck! After that formatting the card with ntfs/ext2/swap was as simple as making the first partition ntfs, didn´t read fat32 the first time around. ... and my problems were over at last :) (hate that stupid nand)

so... formatting the proper micro-SD for Coby Kyros mid7015 for use with Link2SD is possible after all!!!

but after allt the messing around I´ve been doing with the device with limited know how I can´t predict if this will do the same for you. Hope so!

! :)

vanjhelion

Mar 21, 2011
I´m sorry for the late reply: I ran into a problem, even thought link2SD found the second partition the kyros saw the two partitions as one large one and used it as such! no idea why... but it was actually functioning although doomed to fail I believe. So I gave up on that. ... but the good news...

got the kyros to recocgnize the actual SD properlyl!!!

I´m pretty sure the only thing I did to accomplish it was to wipe the cache and Dalvik... folders and restart..
after two days of partitioning the Nand every combo possible I couldn´t believe my luck! After that formatting the card with ntfs/ext2/swap was as simple as making the first partition ntfs, didn´t read fat32 the first time around. ... and my problems were over at last :) (hate that stupid nand)

so... formatting the proper micro-SD for Coby Kyros mid7015 for use with Link2SD is possible after all!!!

but after allt the messing around I´ve been doing with the device with limited know how I can´t predict if this will do the same for you. Hope so!

! :)

so you mean, that you also have done this on your sdcard and is now working properly?

You haven't done the steps we done such as putting recovery.sh file and others?

The way i understand it, you did 3 partitions, an ntfs, ext2 and a swap using Linux?

Now you are able to move the apps to 2nd partition and continue to use the 1st partition as data.

Whenever you insert the usb cable you can still mount sdcard in your PC and also unmount and kyros still recognize it?

Sent from my ATZ 7015/7015A HONEYCOMB V13.0-B20 ACADEV using Android Tablet Forum

Yggdrasill

May 18, 2011
actually, I originally followed you in pushing in a recovery.sh file that I downloaded from a link.

I do have one problem now, the kyros won´t load the SD card but link2SD uses it´s EXT3 partition normally!

getting link2SD to use the ext3+swap partitions is easy: just delete the nand partition so the OS won´t use it as SD. reboot and open link2sd .

By plugging the kyros into my PC I can use nand as an external drive (when os is booted) and I can use the SD-partition (ntfs or fat32) as an external drive.

and so my only problem now is how to mount the sd-card partition on the sd-card.

I´m pretty sure the OS recocnised the SD-card initially though, b

Last edited:

Yggdrasill

May 18, 2011
the easyest way I´ve found to partition the sd-card is to use the startup recovery. It creates three partitions: fat32, ext3, swap. and it names the ext3 partition sd-ext2 (I think it might need to be labeled this for link2sd to find it)
Next I´d delete the partition on nand so it isn´t being used as sd.
Reboot and open link2SD and it finds the second partition.
Then I mount nand again and start linking apps to SD-card.
Now the kyros detects no SD-card! but link2SD is working properly with it!

Now I´ll either need to learn how to mount a partition or make the ext3 partition use the whole card.

I think it did mount the sd-card partition when I first succceded in doing this though.

When I connect the kyros to PC I can use both sd-card and Nand as drives. (sd if in recovery and nand from OS)

Originally I did this from the PC using gparted under linux or minitool in windows, it doesn´t matter how you partition
the SD-card partition (fat32, ntfs) to accomplish link2SD finding the sd-card.

Last edited:

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
I'm able to link apps to the second partition of my sd card using link2sd. the problem im having and maybe some others is that when i hook up the usb cable to my kyros it doesnt mount to the sd card.only the nand. Also, when i take out the sd card and put it in a card reader. i cannot see the second partition either. If i run minitools i see the second partition, but cannot access the contents. im using windows xp.

luisvasquez

May 7, 2011
[IMPORTANT]

Hi guys,

After I've made parted my sd card in two parts (fat32 - data / fat32 - apps) and mounted them following the steps posted here I've been success in my KYROS 7015A, but I got some issues:
1 - Special characters weren't recognized in the first partition;
2 - The first partition wasn't scanned by Android MediaScanner and my musics and pictures weren't disposes in the Android Library (They weren't recognized in the music player and Gallery softwares).

How to fix it:
1 - I made a Shell Script called "sdmount" with more options on the mount command:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

mount -o rw -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext2

mount -o rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,shortname=mixed,utf8 -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard

chmod 666 /dev/block/mmcblk0
The sdmount script should be saved in /system/bin/ directory and called by the install-recovery.sh file to be initialized on boot.

If you prefer, you can paste this code directly within of the install-recovery.sh instead of save him in /system/bin/ directory and call it of the install-recovery.sh. I prefer the first option.

2 - I made a Shell Script that send the broadcast "android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED". This action say at the Android system that a partition has been mounted and should be scanned. So, this broadcast need be called after the system has been initialized. Then, I used the Autostart (Root) app to call the follow Shell Script:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

am broadcast -a android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED -d file:///sdcard
This Shell Script need be saved as /data/opt/autostart.sh to be recognized for the Autostart app.

I hope help!

Last edited:

emmerick

Mar 14, 2011
[IMPORTANT]

Hi guys,

After I've made parted my sd card in two parts (fat32 - data / fat32 - apps) and mounted them following the steps posted here I've been success in my KYROS 7015A, but I got some issues:
1 - Special characters weren't recognized in the first partition;
2 - The first partition weren't scanned by Android MediaScanner and my musics and pictures weren't disposes in the Android Library (They weren't recognized in the music player and Gallery softwares).

How to fix it:
1 - I made a Shell Script called "sdmount" with more options on the mount command:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

mount -o rw -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext2

mount -o rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,shortname=mixed,utf8 -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard

chmod 666 /dev/block/mmcblk0
The sdmount script should be saved in /system/bin/ directory and called by the install-recovery.sh file to be initialized on boot.

If you prefer, you can paste this code directly within of the install-recovery.sh instead of save him in /system/bin/ directory and call it of the install-recovery.sh. I prefer the first option.

2 - I made a Shell Script that send the broadcast "android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED". This action say at the Android system that a partition has been mounted and should be scanned. So, this broadcast need be called after the system has been initialized. Then, I used the Autostart (Root) app to call the follow Shell Script:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

am broadcast -a android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED -d file:///sdcard
This Shell Script need be saved as /data/opt/autostart.sh to be recognized for the Autostart app.

I hope help!

You are the man. Thanks