Coby Kyros 9740 Not Booting

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
Well done champ!:)
Yes it should be rooted if everything went well. If you get # in terminal after typing 'su' you have root!.

Read this about the Google Apps
To install the Google apps package on a 9740, you need to delete several files from /system/app. The reason being that /system on a 9740 is nearly filled up with apps Coby has added to the ROM. The sticky posts provide a link where I provide a list of files that can be deleted. When you have deleted those files, you should be able to successfully install the Google apps.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That's also mentioned in the stickies, though I (deliberately) don't mention models. This is because newer 9742 tablets had more bloatware than older models. 9740 tablets appear to have had a hardware change, with newer units having more space in /system than older ones.

Jul 18, 2013
I'm in a similar place with an identical unit, COBY MID9740, I have no idea yet as to telling which generation, unrooted, as I haven't exactly gotten off my butt to do so. Frankly, it was too fun while it lasted, about 7 or 8 months, even though I crashed the browser a lot just surfing, with multiple tabs open and just as many times tripping a complete reboot doing so. Upon physical examination (I don't care about warranties), I found no socketed parts that I could replace, such as a ROM, after burning a blank, as I had hoped. But, early on, I did find and it was no help, a push pin reset hole, by the mini usb connector. Also, behind that, there was a hidden microphone about 1/4" behind that same reset switch! If i'd known that, (there is no case hole, for it) then I'd have loaded a few neat VoIP apk's! The screen will either hang at "COBY" logo or at the Android logo. I missed a detail, earlier, internal circuit board is identified as "MID9742 MB_V03_120131", Next Line, "571MID9742", despite the case being marked and sold as a MID9740. None of the usual tags over ROM chips, that I'm used to seeing. WK

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You don't care about the warranty, yet the warranty would have helped you, provided you had no issues with paying $15 to Coby for an exchange. In any case, unlike the OP's tablet there's no way to restore your tablet because Coby doesn't make firmware images available for download. The OP's tablet was rooted, which is how he was able to fix his tablet.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I'm in a similar place with an identical unit, COBY MID9740, I have no idea yet as to telling which generation, unrooted, as I haven't exactly gotten off my butt to do so. Frankly, it was too fun while it lasted, about 7 or 8 months, even though I crashed the browser a lot just surfing, with multiple tabs open and just as many times tripping a complete reboot doing so. Upon physical examination (I don't care about warranties), I found no socketed parts that I could replace, such as a ROM, after burning a blank, as I had hoped. But, early on, I did find and it was no help, a push pin reset hole, by the mini usb connector. Also, behind that, there was a hidden microphone about 1/4" behind that same reset switch! If i'd known that, (there is no case hole, for it) then I'd have loaded a few neat VoIP apk's! The screen will either hang at "COBY" logo or at the Android logo. I missed a detail, earlier, internal circuit board is identified as "MID9742 MB_V03_120131", Next Line, "571MID9742", despite the case being marked and sold as a MID9740. None of the usual tags over ROM chips, that I'm used to seeing. WK

everything you need to do has already been posted, up to you to do it.

Jul 18, 2013
Downloading the tools now, as I have another android device to torment. And I already planned on getting another, as they do beat lugging around a pair of G4 Powerbooks (both run Linux, only 1 is dual boot). I'm just not as advanced in command line as I care to be. And now, I get my time in, as it's been too long. WK

kaichi

Nov 28, 2013
guys how can I fix the Segmentation fault? my 9740 stuck in android logo and can't even get to recovery mode.. tried almost every combination but got no luck.. adb debugging is on but everytime im trying to SU got segmentation fault.. pls help :(

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
guys how can I fix the Segmentation fault? my 9740 stuck in android logo and can't even get to recovery mode.. tried almost every combination but got no luck.. adb debugging is on but everytime im trying to SU got segmentation fault.. pls help :(

You have to get the tablet into recovery mode no other option. the tablet will boot into recovery mode once the correct combo is pressed. What did you do to your tablet?

kaichi

Nov 28, 2013
tab is working fine til i forgot to charge the battery and it ran out of power.. I then attached the charger then power it on as soon as it started charging, but can't get pass android logo. tried adb to boot it in recovery but no luck.. then tried su, got segmentation fault.. I've been trying different combos for a week now with no luck.. thanks

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
tab is working fine til i forgot to charge the battery and it ran out of power.. I then attached the charger then power it on as soon as it started charging, but can't get pass android logo. tried adb to boot it in recovery but no luck.. then tried su, got segmentation fault.. I've been trying different combos for a week now with no luck.. thanks

The tablet has no choice but to boot into recovery mode once the correct keys are pressed.

my 9740

turn off tablet, press and release volume up + power then hold volume up + power til you see Coby release power.

kaichi

Nov 28, 2013
volume up + power --> Coby logo appears then blink, then stuck in android logo again
* when do I release the power button? on the first appearance of Coby or after it blinks?

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
volume up + power --> Coby logo appears then blink, then stuck in android logo again
* when do I release the power button? on the first appearance of Coby or after it blinks?

No need to release the power button
Just keep holding the right combination of keys until the recovery menu appears (on my MID9042 it takes about 15 second)
First try holding Power and "+", if nothing then try Power and "-" , and so on
How many buttons does your tablet have?

And this is the procedure :
1. Connect the charger to tablet
2. Push and hold power until tablet completely shut down
3. wait about 30 second
4. Push and hold power and "+" for about 15 second to bring up the recovery menu
Note : You fail on entering recovery mode If you see the blue Android logo, if so you need to start again the steps

Finding out the right combination of keys for recovery menu is very tricky especially if you don't know how to test different combinations, watching a movie on YouTube helps a lot

By the way having a sticky thread on how to bring up recovery menu is absolutely necessary, it reduces the appearance of such questions and saves the time of many people!

Last edited:

kaichi

Nov 28, 2013
No need to release the power button
Just keep holding the right combination of keys until the recovery menu appears (on my MID9042 it takes about 15 second)
First try holding Power and "+", if nothing then try Power and "-" , and so on
How many buttons does your tablet have?

And this is the procedure :
1. Connect the charger to tablet
2. Push and hold power until tablet completely shut down
3. wait about 30 second
4. Push and hold power and "+" for about 15 second to bring up the recovery menu
Note : You fail on entering recovery mode If you see the blue Android logo, if so you need to start again the steps

Finding out the right combination of keys for recovery menu is very tricky especially if you don't know how to test different combinations, watching a movie on YouTube helps a lot

By the way having a sticky thread on how to bring up recovery menu is absolutely necessary, it reduces the appearance of such questions and saves the time of many people!

thanks, but almost every youtube video, procedures and combinations was tried but no luck.. the only thing that I never tried is to disconnect the battery, hope that will do the trick to totally shutdown the tablet.. Im also looking at the microsd (bootable) procedure.. does anyone here has firmware img for 9740? thanks...