coby kyros mid7015 update.zip E: signature varification failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjlpinct

Feb 3, 2011
Just bought the coby kyros mid 7015 yesterday. Went to the Coby website and wached the "video help >> how to update MID7015 firmware" Downloaded the " firmware update for the MID7015 (update.zip) " to my computer... my apple macintosh macbook.
The video says to make sure not to unzip the file, but the mac automatically does... i try to compress it.. The file transfers, to the SD card... when I do the reboot i wipe the data as instructed, then apply SD card... I get a response E:signature verification failed ..... I tried calling Coby for support, they basically took a message and will call me back in 24 - 48 hours... very crappy.. also noticed in the paper quick start guide, it says to install the memory card with the metal contacts facing upwards towards the screen... WRONG, no wonder why people are having trouble with the SD slot, jamming the thing in the way they're told prolly... haha.. any way I need help! I dont know if the problem is from opening the zip and compressing it, or if its a problem with the tablet... The kyros is supposed to be "Compatible with MS Win XP, Vista, 7 or higher and Mac OS or Linux in mass storage mode" What is mass storage mode? Thanks for any help or input! I really want to like this thing... i'm off to a bad start

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
you should be able to option-click on the link and save it in its original form... (almost) all android-related programs are signed with system keys to aid in security. there are ways to resign. a quick google search should point you in the right direction.

Jjlpinct

Feb 3, 2011
ok i tried downloading it differently on the mac, the only two options it gave me were 'save as' and 'where' to save, i was able to make a couple changes there. soooo now it verifies the package and begins installing... and aborts part way through ..... this is progress tho... the device reads...
assert failed: !less_than_int91290686740, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

This is a pain in the neck a couldn't imagine trying to root one of these things.
I think maybe Coby should have aborted the Kyros..

Jjlpinct

Feb 3, 2011
AHHHH i see that this means I already have the current firmware... Thanks for your help!!

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Jjlpinct,
Thanks for creating a thread with a clear title. This has been discussed before but it's hard for me to find where.

For others --- on the Kyros check:
System Info - from "About device" in settings:
My MID7015 purchased in December 2010 showed:
Model number: MID7015
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Kernel version: 2.6.29 Root android 2.1
Build number: MID7015 1.6a_20101105-2
after the update the same except:
Build number: MID7015 1.6a_20101124-3

Newer units have a build number with a date newer than 2010 11 24 and I think with a -1 which seems not to matter. Those units refuse the update that Coby has on their web-site. I wish Coby would give the rest of us the build they are shipping. :(

Jjlpinct,
Please check and post your build number for us.

Thanks.

Jjlpinct

Feb 3, 2011
Model number: MID7015
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Kernel version: 2.6.29 Root android 2.1
Build number: MID7015 1.6a_20101129-1

cool thanks, its starting to make a little sense

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Where's the stock image?
Where's the complete source for all of the GPL software they are redistributing?
Why does even a stock 7015 periodically wake itself up?

You can look through this section for some more ideas....

mindaugas

Feb 3, 2011
I was getting the same error when trying to update. SO the build number does not matter? It's just the firmware version?
Mine:
Model Number: MID7015
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Kernel Version: 2.6.29 Root android 2.1
Build Number: MID7015 1.6a_200101129-1

Does the "-1" in the build number mean anything? Do I need to find a way to upgrade to "-3" ?

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
guessing only I would use the -1 to say the first build made that day, the -2 for the second build made that day etc. The part that looks like a date seems to be a date and mean something.

is the latest I've heard of --- it's only shipped installed, not on available on the web site.

If anyone sees a new version show up on Coby's web site please tell everyone here.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Please use the search feature. This error has been discussed previously and it just means your tablet is already updated. The build number is what matters.

fxdominicano

Feb 4, 2011
guessing only I would use the -1 to say the first build made that day, the -2 for the second build made that day etc. The part that looks like a date seems to be a date and mean something.

is the latest I've heard of --- it's only shipped installed, not on available on the web site.

If anyone sees a new version show up on Coby's web site please tell everyone here.

COBY - Kyros™ Internet Touchscreen Tablet

Here is an update from COBY for Kyros 7015

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Thanks fxdominicano for adding the link.
That's the same update file that has been on their site since December. Those with the 20101129-1 build number cannot use that update.zip.

Since the name "update.zip" doesn't give a clue what the build number is inside here is a clue:
The download for Build number: MID7015 1.6a_20101124-3 has a size of 57.4 MB while downloading with Firefox.
Once downloaded the size in Nautilus shows as 57.4 MB (60235135 bytes)
Let's compare that to the download I did in December which has a size of 57.4 MB (60235135 bytes)
I'll guess the odds of a different build with different packages still being that size are small enough to call it 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.