Coby Kyros MID8048 Won't Go to Sleep

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
Pressing the power button briefly wasn't causing the tablet to go to sleep. I did a factory reset and immediately afterwards both pressing the power button and the timeout setting caused the tablet to go to sleep. After a short while both methods stopped working again. Shutting the tablet down overnight brought the sleep function back for a short time, but then it stopped functioning again. Did another factory reset, but that failed to restore the sleep function the second time.

Someone suggested in another forum for a different android device with the same problem that it might be a defect in the power switch.

Anyone have any other ideas? Or any advice about the possibility of replacing the switch?

I did have Mantano Reader configured to never sleep, but I think the factory reset should have eleminated any problem caused by that. Wouldn't it?

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
For some reason three consecutive factory resets sometimes gets the job done when one won't. Doesn't seem to make sense but several people have reported this. And it's free to try. Doubtful it's a hardware problem if an overnight poweroff fixes it even temporarily. If all else fails reflash the stock firmware if you can find it.

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
It's only ever been on the stock firmware.

Tried a reset three times in a row without rebooting in between and that didn't remedy the problem.

Tried reset three times in a row with a reboot and shutdown in between, and still no sleep.

Anyone got anything else?

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
Oh,I see. I didn't think that was a possibility. Thanks. It'll probably be a while before I can manage to read up on the procedure and download a firmware to try that.

A mechanical and/or electronic problem with the switch doesn't make sense to me now, as I've found that the tablet responds to a brief press of the power button when it's shut down and connected to the charger by displaying the battery icon.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Yes, it sounded to me like a software fault. The problem will be to find the firmware; with Coby no longer in business, their website has nothing on it but a logo. Maybe you can find someone on this forum that saved the file...good luck!

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Why not give a lock screen app a shot.
I use Soft Lock Screen Widget, to put my tablets to sleep and save the physical button.
Something like that may work, as long as the power button will turn your tab back on.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Just saw this thread:
http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/coby-kyros-8048-dump.66275/unread
I would only consider it as a very last resort; it may not be the same as your tablet, could even brick it. Also, your tab may have a "nand lock" on it, if so any attempt to root, install a custom recovery, or otherwise change the stock firmware will permanently brick it.

How bad do you need a sleep function? Personally, I rarely use it.

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
The Soft Lock Screen app didn't seem to do anything. Trying to get a real understanding of all I would need to do to back-up and reflash the ROM was looking daunting, so I tried installing and playing with various apps I had downloaded instead, one of which was SD Tools.

While using it to test the speed of several other MicroSD cards I have, I found the sleep function was working. When I re-installed the MicroSD card I started with, the sleep function stopped working again. I copied all my media files to one of the other MicroSD cards and installed it in my tablet and now the power button, timeout and Soft Lock Screen all work to put it to sleep.

Why, after a factory reset, are there folders from apps that weren't installed after the reset?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
A factory reset doesn't touch the internal storage, and this is intentional. Android versions 4 and up store data in the internal storage rather than mixing it together with the files on the MicroSD card like in older versions of Android. By not wiping the internal storage you should be able to get back up and running quicker as the files are already there.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
So it was something that simple? Looks like I was swatting flies with a sledgehammer. Glad you got it up & working. I still recommend installing CWM recovery and a nandroid backup of a working system stored off the tablet, just in case.

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
After trying the old MicroSD card and switching back to the new MicroSD card the sleep function stopped working again. Connecting the tablet to my PC in USB mode brought the sleep function back.

I think I was loosing the sleep function after accessing the files on the MicroSD card with Mantano Reader. So I uninstalled Mantano and this time deleted it's folders and files that were left on internal storage. When I reinstalled Mantano I made sure before accessing files on the MicroSD card to uncheck "Screen always on" in the reader settings which I found checked by default. This seems to have solved the problem - knock on wood.

I'm still finding it confusing to uderstand the precise steps I need to take with this particular model to back it up properly without bricking it.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Start here: http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/read-first-development-index-and-root-utility.45321/

And read, read, read! Take notes, ask questions as necessary, understand the process beforehand. Manufacturers make it difficult to root their tablets because they do not want an avalanche of bricks caused by incorrect flashing procedures. Search this forum for your model, read up on what problems others have had, avoid their mistakes. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE LIVESUITE. If it doesn't brick your machine outright it will probably render any other tool (CWM recovery for instance) useless or even dangerous. Follow Traveller1701 and/or Vampirefo's instructions once you understand what they are doing. Proofread any command-line inputs before you hit the enter key!

There is a backup function built into ADB that does not require root but I have had very little luck with it. Rooting and installing a custom recovery is much more reliable. AFAIK CWM is the only one available for Coby tablets so that choice is already made for you. Once rooted, do your system dump; upload that to the thread in this forum where you and anyone else can download and use it. Then install CWM, reboot completely, boot into CWM and do a full Nandroid backup. Save that off the tablet as well as on, maybe on your PC or a thumbdrive, or just take out the micro-SD card and hide it somewhere safe. This is just about as safe as it gets; the only thing more certain to get your tab back up and running is a set of NV flash files, and that process is dangerous in itself. And difficult and complicated.

Good luck!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The 8048 has a nand lock. To restore the tablet using a dump requires rooting, which doesn't trip the lock, and ADB. Attempting to install a custom recovery WILL trip the lock, so don't try it.