Connecting an external hard drive to an android tablet ???

Mtucker101

Dec 20, 2010
Hey Guys

I am going travelling in the future to do some photography and was wondering whether it is at all possible to connect up a dslr camera to an android tablet to store photos on it, and then connect an external hard drive to the tablet to transfer those photos onto the hard drive.

I need some way of being able to store my photos, and it needs to be compact, light and easy to use whilst out places during my travels, rather than taking a laptop and external and storing photos that way or even just buying a large number of memory cards for my camera.

I need to know whether this would be a viable option to buy a cheapish tablet with small memory as i am saving money to buy other photography equipment as well as save money to pay for my travelling.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

PGB54

Dec 20, 2010
Hi Mark,

I recently acquired my Archos 101 android tablet running Android 2.2 (Froyo). I have connected my Nikon D3100 to it through the USB port and it connects perfectly. The tablet shows it as an "external camera" I was able to browse the photos and transfer them to the tablet. I have not tried connecting an external hard drive yet but have transferred files both ways using a USB key. The unit also has a micro SD slot that can take up to a 32Gig card. If a 10" tablet is too big, the Archos 70 is smaller but has the same USB ports. You can also order the 70 with a 250Gig hard drive.

I plan on using mine a a companion to the camera when I travel. The photo software that comes pre-installed works great to look at the downloaded pictures in detail

Mtucker101

Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for the info mate. Greatly appreciated. Will look into this idea then as it's much more viable than buying loads of sdhc mem cards.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have also connected my USB jump drives to the USB port on my Viewsonic with no problems, this may be another option for you.

banditrider

Jan 30, 2011
This is something I'm trying to do. My tablet (Android 2.2) can't seem to see my camera or a USB pen drive. Is there some trick I'm missing or do I need to download a special app?

Like the OP, I want to be able to access photos on my camera while on the road and upload them to picasa or my blog.

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Jul 22, 2011
check out the eye-fi storage cards and apps. you dont ever need to connect them since they upload automatically
personally, i cannot find anything on my usb drives at all---not sure why--today is day one with my acer iconia

jay34

Jul 25, 2011
as long as you have a USB port on your tablet you can definately connect an external Harddrive or a flashdrive to your tablet, but make sure you format the drive to exfat.

ubmeibeu

Aug 10, 2011
I have a iconia a500 tablet just like mtucker101 i would like to be able to view and store my photo's on my tablet. I have updated my tablet from 3.0 to 3.1 honeycomb i can view the pictures on my tablet, but it does not store them, or at least when i am viewing the pictures it does not give me the option to store them. I am using a usb card reader reading a CF card, should i buy a extra sd card to put in top to store my pictures that is the only thing i have not tried.
If anyone has any suggestions looking forward to hearing from you.
I also downloaded the update for the usb driver from acer it came as a .zip file, i download a app to unzip the file and it worked for me, but left me a .exe file i click on the file and it asks me what to open with, i am new to the android operating system do i need something else to run an exe file as well?

phamtranloi

Oct 27, 2013
I have a Motorola XOOM2 ANDROID 4.4 with 16GB, I have rooted the tablet, load the file manager ES and ASTRO. To access my HDD
500GB NTFS, I have used Y USB cable and ex-powered the HDD thru a laptop USB then I've loaded USBHOST to my tablet, however I could not see files in my HDD, so I disconnect the ex-powered connection from the laptop. At that instant, the tablet sounded "Click"
then went black eversince. What did I do wrong ? How to resurrect the TABLET ?