Couple oddities occurring on the Acer A500?

JPaterson

Aug 16, 2011
1) When I first started using the tablet, opening the Market showed me Tablet featured apps on the main screen. Now it shows me top free and top paid on the main screen. I haven't changed any settings. Feature or flaw?

2) Plugging in a barcode scanner into the USB, the tablet recognizes it as a physical keyboard, and displays the keyboard icon in the notification bar, which requires me to tap it and turn "off" the physical keyboard. Any idea why?

3) Occasionally I'm not within WiFi, and I bought the WiFi only model. I have a mobile USB internet stick somewhere. If I plug it I, will the tablet recognize it as what it is? On my laptop, inserting the stick opened the software (Novatell MobiLink) which gave me the option to connect. Before I dig through my piles of crap, do you think that will translate into the tablet somehow?

Thanks for any answers!

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

FunkyKong

Aug 18, 2011
I'll answer question 3. You'll need drivers (little bit of software) for that dongle to work with tablet and if Novatell support don't provide them, which I'm sure they don't, your out of luck. You could buy a MiFi dongle which creates a wifi hotspot.

Why can i not paste in this text field but only in title field? Ahh. link is to mifi deals

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
1) I don't believe its either. What gets displayed on the front screen of the marketplace is under Google's control, I believe. As users I don't think we get much control over that.

2) Over all, androids support for third party USB devices is hit or miss, and, still experimental in general. As such, other than the tablet keyboards that are out there, I wouldn't expect NY device to work on android as expected unless it comes with android drivers.

3) Same holds true here as with #2

JPaterson

Aug 16, 2011
Thanks for the answers.

In regards to my second question, the barcode scanner does work, scans items, and does everything a scanner does, I'm just required to turn off the "physical" keyboard so that the on-screen one returns. Aside from that, it works just fine. :)

James

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum